DyzeExtruder Pro motor getting really hot

Jeremie

Jan 16, 2021, 11:00:59 AM1/16/21
to DYZE DESIGN
Hi Phillippe,

I'm unable to get rid of my really hot extruder motor since I bought my DizEnd and DyzeXtruder Pro last year. Turns out it's getting worse since the filament is now constantly jamming after a print. I may be wrong, but it looks like the heat is creeping from the motor to the extruder. Cleaning every time is wasteful so maybe you will come up with an idea to help me.

- The printer is an Anycubic Chiron. I'm running a custom Marlin 2.x firmware on a Ultimachine Archim 2 mainboard (reprap.org/wiki/Archim2)
- The Archim 2 board has built-in Trinamics TMC2130 and are configured in SPI. I modified the "Configure_adv.h" firmware file according to Ultimachine docs as follows :

#if HAS_TRINAMIC_CONFIG

#if AXIS_IS_TMC(E0)

#define E0_CURRENT      900   // JC : set to ideal current according to Dyze but seems to either overheat or drop torque

#define E0_MICROSTEPS    32   // JC : modified to 32 microsteps

#define E0_RSENSE      0.12

#define E0_CHAIN_POS     -1

#endif

#define STEALTHCHOP_E

#endif // HAS_TRINAMIC_CONFIG

- Other parameters are modified as given in Dyze documentation pages
- The filament is a standard ColorFabb PLA.
- I don't  have the instrument for a reliable measurement. I'm not able to give you the real temperature but I can't touch the motor so it's way over 60° (I can touch the hotbed at 60° and stay few seconds without any pain)
- I'm using PrusaSlicer 2.3

Thanks for your time.

Jeremie

Philippe Carrier

Jan 18, 2021, 7:43:12 AM1/18/21
to DYZE DESIGN, Jeremie
Thanks Jeremie for this detailed post.

From my experience, I've had more of less success with the Trinamics configured in SPI and UART.
If you send the command "M122" for TMC debugging, do you have a successful report?
Usually, there is something wrong with the configuration, and the drivers are set in a "standard configuration", which has very high current.

Jeremie

Jan 18, 2021, 12:23:24 PM1/18/21
to DYZE DESIGN, jeremie...@gmail.com
Thanks for your help Philippe. I really appreciate.

>>>M122
SENDING:M122
X Y Z E
Enabled false false false false
Set current 1000 1000 1000 900
RMS current 974 974 974 872
MAX current 1373 1373 1373 1230
Run current 18/31 18/31 18/31 16/31
Hold current 9/31 9/31 9/31 8/31
CS actual 9/31 9/31 9/31 8/31
PWM scale 0 0 0 0
vsense 0=.325 0=.325 0=.325 0=.325
stealthChop true true true true
msteps 32 32 32 32
tstep max max max max
PWM thresh.
[mm/s]
OT prewarn false false false false
triggered
 OTP false false false false
off time 3 3 3 3
blank time 24 24 24 24
hysteresis
 -end -1 -1 -1 -1
 -start 1 1 1 1
Stallguard thrs 0 0 0 0
DRVSTATUS X Y Z E
sg_result 0 0 0 0
stallguard
fsactive
stst
olb
ola
s2gb
s2ga
otpw
ot
Driver registers:
X 0x80:09:00:00
Y 0x80:09:00:00
Z 0x80:09:00:00
E 0x80:08:00:00
Testing X connection... OK
Testing Y connection... OK
Testing Z connection... OK
Testing E connection... OK
>>>M906
SENDING:M906
X driver current: 1000
Y driver current: 1000
Z driver current: 1000
E driver current: 900

Looks good to me. What do you think ?

Philippe Carrier

Jan 19, 2021, 7:37:21 AM1/19/21
to DYZE DESIGN, Jeremie
Indeed, it looks good!

As the motors have relatively a precise resistance, and heating is a very simple phenomenon that depends on current, I would suggest simply reducing the current up to the point you are happy with the result.
It's normal that your stepper has a rise in temperature when it's working, and coils are rated for close to 100°C.