Slipping gears/stuck traction gear?

Chris Geistlinger

Sep 14, 2021, 1:21:31 AM9/14/21
to DYZE DESIGN
I have minimal experience with printing, and am having some feed issues. My steps/mm are measuring correctly, but when I try printing a 20mm cube (CF petg, PLA) I have to bump the feed up to 170% or more to get something resembling extrusion. There is a dramatic underextrusion, but only with the nozzle in place. I've tried switching from .4 to .6mm nozzle, with the same results. Dyzextruder Pro/Dyzend Pro combo

Concluded that the traction gears may be plugged, or something. When I disassembled the extruder, the center gear/traction wheel is very stuck. A firm grip with pliers doesn't move it. Is there some sort of barb, or snapring configuration I'm missing? Thought I'd ask here first before getting out the big tools (machinist with a full shop at my disposal)...That being said, are the small parts readily available?

Dyszextruder.jpg

Kenneth Pecho

Sep 14, 2021, 9:58:56 PM9/14/21
to DYZE DESIGN, ch...@slingerfoto.com
I have taken my extruder apart in the past week more times than i would like to admit. I was having jamming issues with TPU turns out the motor was getting so hot it would heat up the entire metal extruder and started melting the TPU between the drive gears. Lowering the current to 670ma kept the stepper cool enough and the motor still powered sufficiently, and now no more jamming issues. With that said i use a 2.0mm hex driver...pretty sure that all screws are 2.0mm. You need to hold the large center gear with some pliers to loosen the large gear and remove...then undo the spring and the screw holding the spring. Then take out the screw holding the lever/arm assembly in. At this point you should be able to get all parts out of the extruder body. The throat at the bottom of the extruder (post drive gears) is really sharp and pointy and I have found that some of my filament has sheared from the sides and gets gunked/caught up between the drive gears and jams the extruder. All gears should turn freely. I am sure once you take everything apart it will be come apparent what is jamming the gears. Good luck!

Technical Support

Sep 20, 2021, 2:52:28 PM9/20/21
to kjp...@gmail.com, DYZE DESIGN, ch...@slingerfoto.com
Hi Chris,

The 170% flow problem looks like your slicer is configured in 2.85mm filament (where the section surface is much higher), thus giving shorter extrusion length to the extruder when printing. Can you please share a Gcode file for the cube?
Phil
Support Team

Logo

100-1505 Saint-Thomas
Lemoyne, Quebec, Canada, J4P 3S2
linkedin icon facebook icon twitter icon youtube icon instagram icon dyzedesign.com