T-D500 500℃ Thermistor does not register temperature

David Stanley

Aug 4, 2022, 11:40:33 AM8/4/22
to DYZE DESIGN
I purchased two of these so that I would have an extra.  I installed one and as documented updated my marlin firmware (2.1.x) to reflect the following:
config.h:
TEMP_SENSOR_0 66
HEATER_0_MINTEMP 21
HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 500 (I don't need it this hot but I was following instructions)
DEFAULT_Kp 14.0
DEFAULT_Ki 0.5
DEFAULT_Kd 125.0

config.adv.h:
MAX_CONSECUTIVE_LOW_TEMPERATURE_ERROR_ALLOWED 5
MILLISECONDS_PREHEAT_TIME 30000

I connected the thermostat to the main board, inserted/snugged the sensor into the heating block, and flashed the compiled changes in my firmware.  (BTW, I am using firmware version 2.1.x which has been working great up to this point.)

I turned the machine back on (firmware flashed), I noticed the nozzle temperature continued to read 0 (zero) and was calling for heat.  This was not normal as my other sensor would read roughly the same as my bed temp (about 23-24c), and would not be calling for heat.  I went ahead and tried to increase the temperature and received the  error "Err: MINTEMP: E1".  I validated the firmware flashed, shut it down, verified everything was properly connected, and restarted.  Same results.  I thought maybe there was an issue with that one sensor so I tried the backup I bought and got the same results.

As I was reading though the firmware I noticed the DEFAULT_Kp, Ki and Kd had another entry that mimicked the original firmware settings.  Not knowing if this could be the issues, I went ahead and updated them to reflect the new settings as follows:
config.h:
DEFAULT_Kp_LIST {  14.00,  14.00 }
DEFAULT_Ki_LIST {   0.50,   0.50 }
DEFAULT_Kd_LIST {  125.00,  125.00 }

Any help anyone can give me on this would be great.

David Stanley

Aug 4, 2022, 11:48:14 AM8/4/22
to DYZE DESIGN, David Stanley
While it is probably already known, I'm using Marlin 2.1.x firmware.

Technical Support

Aug 5, 2022, 7:28:19 AM8/5/22
to dwst...@arat.com, DYZE DESIGN
Hi David,

To figure out if it's a firmware issue, or a hardware issue, I'd suggest replacing the sensor with a potentiometer (something around 1M to 500K), plug it in place of your non-working sensor, and check if you see the temperature reading is changing when turning the pot.

This will help you pinpoint the source of the problem.

You can also measure the resistance of the cable with the thermistor when unplugged from the board, it should be around 4.5MΩ.

Regards,
Phil
Support Team

Logo

100-1505 Saint-Thomas
Lemoyne, Quebec, Canada, J4P 3S2
linkedin icon facebook icon twitter icon youtube icon instagram icon dyzedesign.com

David Stanley

Aug 5, 2022, 9:37:05 AM8/5/22
to Technical Support, DYZE DESIGN
Thank you for your reply,

The resistance does measure about 4.5MΩ so I assume I’m looking at a firmware issue. I’ll research what I can with Marlin.

David