Logic and Religion Webinar: The logic of ‘being nothing’ and ‘willing nothing’ in Marguerite Porete - Tatiana Barkovskiy, June 20

Assis

Jun 19, 2024, 11:30:05 AM (14 days ago) Jun 19
to LOGICA-L

Dear Colleague,

You are invited to participate in the next session of the Logic and Religion Webinar Series which will be held on June 20 (THIS THURSDAY), 2024, at 4 pm CET with the topic:

THE LOGIC OF 'BEING NOTHING’ AND 'WILLING NOTHING’ IN MARGUERITE PORETE

Speaker: Tatiana Barkovskiy (University of Cambridge, UK)

Chair: Monika Nowakowska (University of Warsaw, Poland)

Time zones: 10:00 am in New York; 11:00 am in São Paulo; 4:00 pm in Paris; 5:00 pm in Jerusalem; and 7:30 pm in New Delhi.

Register to get a zoom link:
https://www.logicandreligion.com/webinars

Abstract: In her Mirror of Simple Souls, Marguerite Porete (d. 1310) defines the free soul as a being ‘saved by faith without works, who is only in love, does nothing for God, can be taught nothing, from whom nothing can be taken nor given, and who possesses no will’. In my talk, I examine Porete’s notion of the soul’s ontological ‘nothingness’ and ‘less-than-nothingness’, and show how they translate into the nothingness of the soul’s will. As Porete argues, true freedom comes from freeing oneself of one’s self in order to be and will together with the divine.

Join us 5 minutes prior to the beginning of the session!

With best wishes,

--

Francisco de Assis Mariano,
The University of Missouri-Columbia (USA)