Yuriy Vasilievich Ivlev (1936-2024)

Marcelo Esteban Coniglio

Jul 16, 2024, 11:07:18 AM (6 days ago) Jul 16
to Lista acadêmica brasileira dos profissionais e estudantes da área de LOGICA

Dear Colleagues,

It is with deep regret that we inform you of the passing of Yuriy Vasilievich Ivlev on July 7th, 2024.

Yuriy Vasilievich Ivlev was born on December 21, 1936, in Verhnespasskoe village, Tambov region, USSR. His pioneering work in the 1970s on quasi-matrices for logics, now known as non-deterministic matrices and non-deterministic semantics, marked a significant advancement in the field. Since 1978, Yuriy Ivlev was a cherished member of the Faculty of Philosophy at Moscow State University. From 1982 to 2003, he served as the Head of the Department of Logic, where he made substantial contributions to modal logic, quasifunctional logic, deontic logic, logical applications, and argumentation theory.

Yuriy's legacy in the academic community will be remembered for his intellectual rigour, innovative research, and the profound impact he had on the study of logic. We extend our heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues during this difficult time.

Sincerely,

Marcelo E. Coniglio,
Ekaterina Kubyshkina,
Dmitry Zaitsev