on the Academia.edu ToS

Joao Marcos

Nov 25, 2015, 7:41:39 PM11/25/15
to Lista acadêmica brasileira dos profissionais e estudantes da área de LOGICA, Richard Price
Dear Richard:

Please do not hesitate to let us know when you have updated the ToS.
We are all very concerned with what it presently says, and find its
wording inadmissible, insofar as it looks *very* distant from what we
could call an **open access** policy. We are also concerned with the
somewhat aggressive way in which Academia seems to impersonate
researchers in order to attract them as users to this site --- which
otherwise looks fantastic and appears very useful.

I do not doubt your legal advisors will help you find the best to
proceed (and surprised that they have not done it in the course of the
last few years). BTW, I certainly understand that some privileges
might be necessary for you to text-mine the papers and the data of the
users of your platform and to keep your business model running, and I
also understand that Harvard employees would be willing to allow their
alma mater "exercise the copyright on their scholarly articles" ;
however, I also think one had better remain *really* wary as not to
appropriate (or even give the impression of appropriating)
intellectual rights from their rightful owners.

Sincerely yours,
Joao Marcos
(the administrator of the list mentioned by Valeria)

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 9:11 PM, Valeria de Paiva
<valeria...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Richard,
> Excellent news!!!
> Indeed the Harvard model was suggested in the discussions going on the
> list,
> really glad to hear you're thinking of adopting it.
> Many thanks for the super prompt reply,
> Best regards,
> Valeria
> ps forwarding to the list as well!

Décio Krause

Nov 25, 2015, 8:03:12 PM11/25/15
to logi...@dimap.ufrn.br, Richard Price
Um grande beliscão, JM. Beijo só pra Valéria.
Estão fazendo um belo serviço não só para nós, mas para todos, de todos os lugares.
Abraço.

Décio Krause
Departamento de Filosofia
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina

--
Você está recebendo esta mensagem porque se inscreveu no grupo "LOGICA-L" dos Grupos do Google.
Para cancelar inscrição nesse grupo e parar de receber e-mails dele, envie um e-mail para logica-l+u...@dimap.ufrn.br.