The state of angular-dart?

Alexander H.

Jan 30, 2020, 12:50:01 PM1/30/20
to Dart Web Development
Hi everyone,

I'm aware I'm asking a difficult question but after days of looking, I can't work it out on my own. The tl;Dr version of the question would be "is the angular-dart project dead"?

I've only fiddled with it briefly and with a limited experience in web development as a whole, I enjoy it, as opposed to both js and ts libraries/frameworks or the languages themselves as a whole.

My point is, angular dart hasn't seen a commit in it's repo in months, which isn't something you want to see for obvious reasons. And the main reason why I haven't invested more time in it.

Anyone from the developers willing to shed some light on the topic?

Marius Räsener

Jan 30, 2020, 12:58:03 PM1/30/20
to w...@dartlang.org
It‘s dead.

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Marius Räsener
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) techn. Informatik

+49 160 90234117
m.rae...@gmail.com
Eintrachtstr. 24
68259 Mannheim

Samuel Schwebel

Jan 30, 2020, 1:09:42 PM1/30/20
to w...@dartlang.org
Here (https://github.com/dart-lang/angular/issues/1866) you can find some discussions about it.

On the Google side, especially the @timsneath comment.

I want to believe that soon we will have new updates from AngularDart for the community...

Lex Berezhny

Jan 30, 2020, 1:33:52 PM1/30/20
to w...@dartlang.org
Good riddance! One had to be a masochist to use that poorly designed pile of proprietary barf.

The Angular Dart team actively worked to kill `dart:html` (Custom Elements and many other badly needed updates) preventing people from using Dart for smaller apps or building their own competing frameworks necessary for a healthy Dart web ecosystem.

Matan Lurey, a lead on angular, encouraged people to stop using Dart altogether if they wanted to make smaller standard compliant apps: https://github.com/dart-lang/sdk/issues/27445

"From a personal perspective (not the Dart team's), I'd use JavaScript or TypeScript if I was highly interested in web components - its much better suited for this lightweight model than Dart is (more suited for larger web applications, not scripts/standalone components/buttons).
Thanks for understanding!"

With that kind of leadership it's no wonder that Angular failed to get community adoption and `dart:html` also continues to languish in irrelevancy.

There are some community efforts to save Dart for the web, for example: https://github.com/rampage-dart/rampage

Alexander H.

Jan 30, 2020, 1:54:36 PM1/30/20
to Dart Web Development
Didn't see that one though I scrolled through the issues, looking for something like this. Thanks, there is a bit of hope I suspect.

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 8:09:42 PM UTC+2, Samuel Schwebel wrote:
Here (https://github.com/dart-lang/angular/issues/1866) you can find some discussions about it.

On the Google side, especially the @timsneath comment.

I want to believe that soon we will have new updates from AngularDart for the community...

Em qui., 30 de jan. de 2020 às 14:58, Marius Räsener <m.ra...@gmail.com> escreveu:
It‘s dead.

Alexander H. <alex.h...@gmail.com> schrieb am Do. 30. Jan. 2020 um 18:50:
Hi everyone,

I'm aware I'm asking a difficult question but after days of looking, I can't work it out on my own. The tl;Dr version of the question would be "is the angular-dart project dead"?

I've only fiddled with it briefly and with a limited experience in web development as a whole, I enjoy it, as opposed to both js and ts libraries/frameworks or the languages themselves as a whole.

My point is, angular dart hasn't seen a commit in it's repo in months, which isn't something you want to see for obvious reasons. And the main reason why I haven't invested more time in it.

Anyone from the developers willing to shed some light on the topic?

mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Marius Räsener
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) techn. Informatik

+49 160 90234117