Assistance Needed: Resolving 403 Error During Dart Installation

ASGHAR EFTEKHARI

Jul 25, 2023, 5:54:13 AM7/25/23
to Dart Misc
Dear Google Dart Discussion Group,

I hope this message finds you all well. My name is Asghar Eftekhari, and I recently joined this community with great enthusiasm to explore and work with Dart.

I am currently facing an issue during the installation of Dart on my VPS. Specifically, I encountered a 403 error when attempting to access the Google source list required for the installation. Despite several attempts to troubleshoot the problem, I have not been able to resolve it.

Here are the steps I followed based on the official website guidelines:

1. Update the package list
```
sudo apt-get update
```

2. Install apt-transport-https
```
sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
```

3. Download and set up Google Linux package signing key
```
wget -qO- https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /usr/share/keyrings/dart.gpg
```

4. Add Dart repository
```
echo 'deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/dart.gpg] https://storage.googleapis.com/dart-archive/channels/stable/release latest main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dart.list
```

5. Update package list again
```
sudo apt-get update
```

6. Attempt to install Dart
```
sudo apt-get install dart
```

However, the installation process is halted by the 403 Forbidden error when trying to access the Google Dart package repository.

I have verified that my Internet connection is working fine for other purposes, and I have no issues accessing other resources. This leads me to believe that there might be specific configurations or restrictions causing this problem.

If any members of this community have encountered and successfully resolved a similar 403 error during Dart installation, I would greatly appreciate any insights, guidance, or recommendations to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance. I look forward to learning from your expertise and continuing my journey with Dart.

Best regards,

Asghar Eftekhari

William Hesse

Jul 25, 2023, 7:43:56 AM7/25/23
to Dart Misc, ASGHAR EFTEKHARI
The fourth command you list is copied incorrectly from the installation instructions.  The URL in the "echo 'deb ..." command should be

not

Other workarounds for your issue are to download the debian package or zipped Dart SDK directly from https://dart.dev/get-dart/archive.
The debian package is available for amd64 (Intel 64-bit).  Arm 64 and 32-bit versions and Intel 32 bit version are only available as a zip file.
RISC-V  is only available on the dev channel.

The debian package can be installed with the 'sudo dpkg -i [package file]' command, and the zip files can just be unzipped to a destination directory, and the 'bin' subdirectory added to the path.

An even better solution is to install Flutter using the instructions at https://flutter.dev/
Flutter is a cross-platform application development framework that uses Dart and includes Dart in its installation, and has more troubleshooting tips for installation than the bare Dart SDK.

William Hesse

Jul 25, 2023, 7:53:55 AM7/25/23
to Dart Misc, William Hesse, ASGHAR EFTEKHARI
Also, the only channels are stable, unstable, and testing.  The stable channel has the latest stable version of the SDK.
The testing channel has the beta versions, and the unstable channel has the dev versions of the Dart SDK.
There is no channel "latest".