File browser in IntelliJ is too slow

Gen

Oct 21, 2015, 2:53:16 AM10/21/15
to Dart plugin for JetBrains Editors
Hi,

the file browser in IntelliJ is too slow.
Too slow to display the files. Why do I have to wait almost 5 seconds ?
Too slow to update directory changes.

This is not dart plugin related but it affects the development experience with Dart.

Gen

Oct 21, 2015, 4:01:54 AM10/21/15
to Dart plugin for JetBrains Editors
Maybe the update is not only slow but not working correctly so that I must press F5 to enforce an update even for directory entries that existed before I opened the file browser.

Alexander Doroshko

Oct 21, 2015, 7:56:59 AM10/21/15
to jetbrains-dart...@dartlang.org
Works fine for me, even with large projects. But I rarely use it.
Navigation Bar (Alt+Home or Cmd + Up), Recent Files (Cmd+E, Cmd+Shift+E) and File Structure popup (Cmd+F12) are considered to be the most effective ways of navigation in IntelliJ world (except numerous Go To actions).

Gen

Oct 21, 2015, 8:19:02 AM10/21/15
to Dart plugin for JetBrains Editors
Thanks although I am working on Windows.
I am using the file browser in "File/Project Structure..." then "Modules" then "+ Add Content Root".
Maybe it is related to a Java or Java Swing library on Windows because AFAIR the file browser in old versions of Netbeans looked similar and were also very slow.

Alexander Doroshko

Oct 21, 2015, 8:22:20 AM10/21/15
to jetbrains-dart...@dartlang.org
I'm on Windows too. Replace Cmd -> Ctrl to get Windows shortcuts.
File browser in Add Content Root works fine for me as well. Performance depends on your folder structure, network drives and other things. It might be worse for the first time and better when you browse there next time.

Gen

Oct 21, 2015, 8:49:18 AM10/21/15
to Dart plugin for JetBrains Editors
For me the file browser takes always 6 - 7 seconds to load when I go from "File...." over "Modules" to "+ Add ...".
The Geany editor makes me wait always 11 - 12 seconds before opening its file browser.
Netbeans 8.1 RC file browser is ready very quickly except for the first time after the launch of Netbeans where it takes 6 - 7 seconds as well.
And Eclipse, Notepad++, Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code open the standard windows file browser without any particular delay.

Alexander Doroshko

Oct 21, 2015, 9:14:53 AM10/21/15
to jetbrains-dart...@dartlang.org
You may take a CPU snapshot as described in https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/206827577-Reporting-performance-problems and file a new issue.

Gen

Oct 21, 2015, 11:25:18 AM10/21/15
to Dart plugin for JetBrains Editors
Maybe later. I use the community edition and want to avoid the installation of the evaluation version of YourKit.