Use gcloud Logs from Compute Engine

David Notik

Dec 12, 2014, 1:19:24 PM12/12/14
to cl...@dartlang.org
Hi Søren et al.

It's been mentioned that the Logs service in Cloud Console can be written to from a Compute Engine instance. One's project doesn't need to be on App Engine to make use of it.

Can you tell me more? Is there a Dart lib that supports this? I didn't see anything relevant in the googleapis lib.

It'd be great to print errors caught to a nice place like that rather than printing to the server console or wiring up my own logs or even using some other third party tool or service.

--D

Søren Gjesse

Dec 15, 2014, 3:55:35 AM12/15/14
to David Notik, cl...@dartlang.org
David,

You can read the documentation for Google Cloud Logging here: https://cloud.google.com/tools/logging/, and the GCE specific parts here: https://cloud.google.com/tools/logging/logging_gce_install. This is in Alpha, and requires whitelisting.

The default configuration is using a fluentd daemon to collect logs.

Regard,
Søren

---
Søren Gjesse
Software Engineer, Google Denmark
CVR nr. 28 86 69 84

David Notik

Jan 21, 2016, 11:11:42 PM1/21/16
to Dart Server-side and Cloud Development, dave...@gmail.com
Woot. Finally gave this some time and got it going.

My Dart server/crawler (on a Debian Wheezy GCE instance) logs (I'm using the logging lib) to syslog via systemd, and google-fluentd sucks it into Cloud Logging console.

Now, onto figuring out how to specify the severity. Hrm.

--D