Google Groups

Re: [dart-misc] Debian package maintainer 'dartlang'

William Hesse Feb 28, 2014 3:15 PM
Posted in group: Dart Misc
Sorry, the correct links to follow are

for the FYI dart buildbot, and

for the source tarball builds.

These links should lead you to a Debian package containing the source for Dart, including third-party code.

I am Dimitri Torterat (mostly known as Diti and @DitiPenguin), a French 23-year old student at school 42 in Paris, sysop at fr.wikipedia.org, and, most importantly, a Debian GNU/Linux user (both on laptop and dedicated server). I am posting here because there is no Debian package for dartlang.

I could be one of the package maintainers (as I use Dart for nearly every project of mine, I want to stay up-to-date). Additionally, perhaps the Dart team could have a read at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/distribute-deb/distribute-deb.html in case they would like to save the workload of package maintainers.

I can think of two advantages of including dartlang to the Debian package system:

1. Users who would like to write server-side (shell) scripts in Dart, and make such scripts into a Debian package, could benefit of having dartlang as a dependency; that is, any user installing my-great-dart-app could do so without hassle, because the Dart VM would be downloaded/updated/etc. alongside.

2. Hosting services relying on Debian (for instance, Heroku's "bamboo" stack, or any dedicated server running Debian for that matter) would benefit from using the Debian package system, because that's the standard way on this OS to install, upgrade, manage and uninstall binaries and/or sources.

Would you have interest in that? I am looking forward to hearing your opinion. Thank you for your attention!

William Hesse

William Hesse