Errors with Dart on Heroku

Timothy Armstrong

Jul 19, 2013, 9:44:29 PM7/19/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Has anyone tried deploying a Dart app on Heroku recently?

I just tried to push something, but the app won't run and I get this error in the log:

/app/dart-sdk/bin/dart: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /app/dart-sdk/bin/dart)

Anyone else seeing this problem?

--
Timothy

Justin Fagnani

Jul 19, 2013, 10:08:01 PM7/19/13
to General Dart Discussion
This is happening on Cloud9 too. Maybe they're on Heroku?

adam

Jul 20, 2013, 6:53:26 PM7/20/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Did Cloud9 come up with some dart hosting integration?

Harald Glatt

Jul 20, 2013, 7:26:03 PM7/20/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Cloud9 guys are moving at a tempo that makes snails go envious... They still don't have TypeScript integration one year later even though they made a very popular blog post 1 day later where they announced how great they were cause they had support for TypeScript already. Well their support for TypeScript competes on the same level with my TypeScript support in "nano" with syntax highlighting for JavaScript enabled so....

/rant over

Seth Ladd

Jul 22, 2013, 1:00:48 PM7/22/13
to General Dart Discussion, Rico Wind
+ Rico

I think I saw something about building Dart with a new version of Ubuntu. Maybe Rico knows?

Thanks,
Seth

Søren Gjesse

Jul 23, 2013, 4:18:09 AM7/23/13
to General Dart Discussion, Rico Wind
The binaries downloadable from www.dartlang.org are build on Ubunto Precise which have glibc 2.15. If the target machine does not have glibc 2.15 (or higher) it should be possible to build Dart from source on a machine with a lower glibc version. See https://code.google.com/p/dart/wiki/Building.

To only build the Dart executalbe use:

$ ./tools/build.py --mode=release --arch=ia32 runtime

Resulting binary will be in out/ReleaseA32/dart. This binary contains symbols and can be stripped to reduce size.

(use --arch=x64 to build the 64-bit version in out/ReleaseX64/dart)

Regards,
Søren

Timothy Armstrong

Jul 23, 2013, 11:54:58 AM7/23/13
to mi...@dartlang.org, Rico Wind
Yep, it looks like Heroku uses machines with only glibc 2.11. I'll look into building from source.

Thanks!

--
Timothy

Seth Ladd

Jul 23, 2013, 12:56:44 PM7/23/13
to General Dart Discussion, Rico Wind
FWIW I've emailed Heroku and asked them if they have a timeline for upgrading to glibc 2.15.

Sam Elkhateeb

Sep 17, 2013, 1:12:04 PM9/17/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
I managed to compile Dart against libraries of the same version as the ones in Heroku.

Basically to get it working for now you need to use my version of heroku-buildpack-dart.

Here are the commands to do it:

heroku config
:add BUILDPACK_URL=https://github.com/selkhateeb/heroku-buildpack-dart.git
heroku labs
:enable user-env-compile
heroku config
:set DART_SDK_URL=https://github.com/selkhateeb/heroku-vagrant-dart-build/releases/download/0.7.3.1_r27487/dart-sdk.tar

If you are interested more about the issue you can track it here
https://github.com/igrigorik/heroku-buildpack-dart/issues/18

and if you are interested to know how I built Dart you can learn more:

I hope this helps for now
Thanks

Seth Ladd

Sep 18, 2013, 3:19:11 AM9/18/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
This is great, thanks Sam! How often do you plan on rebuilding the VM?

Sam Elkhateeb

Sep 18, 2013, 3:24:41 PM9/18/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
I'm open to suggestions. For now, I'm planning to stick with trunk releases. So 0.7.4.1 is coming up shortly!

If you need a specific build or I missed one, please do not hesitate to open an issue (https://github.com/selkhateeb/heroku-vagrant-dart-build/issues) and I will get on it ASAP

Thanks
Sam Elkhateeb
NanoSN Cloud Computing Service Inc.

Anders Holmgren

Apr 10, 2014, 11:25:21 PM4/10/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
I don't suppose anyone has a 1.3 (or even 1.2) build for heroku? The latest build I see is 1.2-dev1.

I'm trying to build one now but it's taking forever

Søren Gjesse

Apr 11, 2014, 1:16:45 AM4/11/14
to General Dart Discussion
I have a .deb file built for Debian 7 here: http://storage.googleapis.com/dart-lang-debian/1.2/wheezy/dart_1.2.1-1_amd64.deb, not sure whether that might work.

/Søren

Sam Elkhateeb

Apr 14, 2014, 11:38:22 AM4/14/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
I've been working on a fix for the  https://github.com/selkhateeb/heroku-vagrant-dart-build to build the newer versions over the weekend.
I got stuck on the Java JDK not installed. Since Oracle changed their license, I can no longer automate the process.

I'll keep you guys posted once I have time to figure it out and do a successful build. Hopefully in the next few days.

Rico Wind

Apr 14, 2014, 12:13:23 PM4/14/14
to General Dart Discussion
Sam: why don't you use openjdk?

Cheers,
Rico

Sam Elkhateeb

Apr 14, 2014, 3:22:54 PM4/14/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Rico,
I started with OpenJDK. Compiling the analyzer failed with "You do not have JDK installed, can't build the analyzer".
Setting JAVA_HOME didn't help either. Not even installing Oracle's JDK.

The error message misled me into believing something is wrong in my Java installation.

It turns out that the python version I'm using was a bit older (2.6.5), which didn't have 'subprocess.check_output' function.
It was introduced in 2.7. Upgrading to python 2.7 fixed the issue.

The problomatic code is in dart/editor/tools/compile_analyzer.py:95:
def VerifyJavacGetPath():
  javac_path = GetJavacPath()
  try:
    subprocess.check_output([javac_path, "-version"])
  except:
    print "You do not have JDK installed, can't build the analyzer"
    exit(1)
  return javac_path

Created an issue here:

And a fix in review here:

Sam Elkhateeb

Apr 14, 2014, 6:01:49 PM4/14/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Just finished building 1.2.1. Here is the link for it:
https://github.com/selkhateeb/heroku-vagrant-dart-build/releases/download/1.2.1/dart-sdk.tar

1.3 is building, if all goes well, it should be up shortly

Anders Holmgren

Apr 14, 2014, 6:19:04 PM4/14/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Thanks heaps Sam. Will try it when I get to the office

Sam Elkhateeb

Apr 14, 2014, 9:14:33 PM4/14/14
to mi...@dartlang.org

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Anders Holmgren <andersm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks heaps Sam. Will try it when I get to the office

Anders Holmgren

Apr 15, 2014, 2:43:18 AM4/15/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
I ended up needing 1.3 as I'd inadvertently built in a 1.3 dependency by using some of the new String.padxx methods.

All up and running now. Thanks again for your prompt help