build package

Anders Holmgren

May 31, 2016, 11:07:43 PM5/31/16
to Dart Misc
Just came across https://pub.dartlang.org/packages/build

Looks very interesting. I don't recall seeing this talked about at all by the dart team unless I missed something.

Is this intended to what we should all be using for builds?

Any plans to integrate with IDE's? i.e. like build.dart was with dart editor?

Bob Nystrom

Jun 1, 2016, 12:51:36 PM6/1/16
to General Dart Discussion, Jake Macdonald
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Anders Holmgren <andersm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just came across https://pub.dartlang.org/packages/build

Looks very interesting. I don't recall seeing this talked about at all by the dart team unless I missed something.

I don't think we've been broadcasting much about it. I think we're trying to see how well it works out for some of our own purposes first.

Jake (jakemac@) is the best person to ask about it.

Is this intended to what we should all be using for builds?

Probably not yet, but possibly yes.

Cheers!

– bob

Don Olmstead

Jun 1, 2016, 1:18:15 PM6/1/16
to mi...@dartlang.org
As an early adopter of build, Jake actually pinged me about it when it was in development and I moved my Dogma codegen library over to it, I've been largely happy with it. There's an e2e example in the repo and if you need any more assistance you can ping me about it on slack.

---

Anders Holmgren

Jun 1, 2016, 9:49:22 PM6/1/16
to mi...@dartlang.org
Ok thanks for the heads up
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dart Misc" group.

Jake Macdonald

Jun 6, 2016, 2:03:25 PM6/6/16
to Dart Misc
This package is ready for use, but it is not supported externally by much yet. Essentially this package is all about a codegen only approach to development (no dart:mirrors), and not overwriting any hand coded source files. It has been the experience of many that using reflection at dev time and codegen at deploy time is error prone and generally not worth the effort, and in many cases people are already using the codegen version all the time without even realizing it (via pub serve).

Generally build should be able to give a better dev experience than transformers, because you can navigate directly to generated files from your editor and your code never gets rewritten.  Because you can't overwrite any files though, most of the transformers in use today are not compatible. Re-inventing these things in ways that don't overwrite files will be a fairly long process most likely.