Dart Editor 1.9 incredibly unstable?

Hans Van den Keybus

Apr 15, 2015, 8:31:58 AM4/15/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Hi There,

We've been working on a Dart-project for a year now with a team of four, meaning we probably have a +200k LOC project right.
I've updated to Dart 1.9 yesterday.
So far we all experience a lot of crashes and strange behavior.

- every time I adjust one line of code, the analyzer starts to run, and the editor screen goes blank. solution: force quit dart.
- code hinting is very very slow
- Break points don't work often times.
- Currenlty it's eating 2.195.000 K of memory and 50% of my CPU (on a quad-core pc with 16GB of RAM)

Is someone else experiencing this as well, or is it just the four of us?

Kévin Platel

Apr 15, 2015, 8:35:50 AM4/15/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I have also noticed a large use of memory and CPU when i code during a long period of time with dart.

I use Webstorm 10

Greg Lusk

Apr 15, 2015, 8:49:39 AM4/15/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
We've noticed I stabity too, but not quite as extreme as you describe. The analyzer keeps crashing on us, code folding is broken, and we have to go to the original code file to set break points in the debugger. The way that Maps are depicted in the debugger has regressed also.

ravi teja

Apr 15, 2015, 9:10:21 AM4/15/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Actually I had all the symptoms in the earlier versions of Dart Editor. For me, Dart 1.9 has fixed those issues.

Hans Van den Keybus

Apr 15, 2015, 9:52:34 AM4/15/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
That's strange...
How large are your projects?
I have several custom libraries, and the main library would be around 200k Lines of Code.

Additional issues I found:
- closing the dart editor doesn't stop the Dart.exe process from running
- code completion says "--no completions available--" way too often, although when I finish typing the classname, the editor allows me to inspect the class by using CTRL+click.
- CTRL-click sometimes points to completely irrelevant parts of the code

For me and my colleagues, Dart 1.9.1 looks more like a very unstable beta release tbh... :s
I would even say it is totally unworkable.

alberto.ags

Apr 15, 2015, 12:07:55 PM4/15/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
+100 please IMO is the moment to make current stuff (editor, pubs, packages, js-interop, compiler, polymer)  more stable, reliable and stop to add new semi-done features and experiment.

summary to do the life easier for common developer.

ravi teja

Apr 15, 2015, 1:48:11 PM4/15/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
My project is 100K code and similarly large custom library.

Code completion is broken like you mentioned.
Ctrl-Click has worked well so far. But probably I don't use it so much as others.

I used to have a lot of editor crashes before. Analyzer used to take painfully long time even for small changes. But since I upgraded to 1.9.1, these two issues stopped occurring.

Peter StJ

Apr 16, 2015, 4:30:08 AM4/16/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I have reported some of those regressions and other that I have found on dartbug.

I started using Dart Editor as main development IDE when it was 1.8.x and it was awesome for small to mid sized projects, but since 1.9.x it is a disaster - mainly code completion is not working, lots of integrated features are not working either and as a whole it stops working after a few changes.

As far as I can tell most are linked to the extraction of the analyzer process but I might be wrong.

Kasper Lund

Apr 16, 2015, 4:52:06 AM4/16/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Hi Hans,

I'm very sorry to hear about the pains caused by the upgrade to 1.9. It would be very helpful for us if you could try to disable the "analysis server" on the Dart Editor's preference page (and restart the editor) to see if that makes the issues less severe.

Cheers,
Kasper

Eric Clayberg (Google)

Apr 16, 2015, 7:02:10 AM4/16/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
It is very likely linked to the new Analysis Server which became the default in 1.9 (it was available but not the default earlier). You can test this by turning off the "Enable Analysis Server" option in the preferences and restarting the Editor. That will make it use the older, Java-based analyzer that was the default prior to 1.9.

Also, are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Hans Van den Keybus

Apr 16, 2015, 10:01:14 AM4/16/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
This does seem to solve a lot of the issues!
Thank you guys!

I'm running the 64-bit version.

Eric Clayberg (Google)

Apr 16, 2015, 11:11:55 AM4/16/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
You can also try the 1.10 dev channel builds. Those have fixed a number of issues with the Analysis Server (especially one that artificially capped the memory usage and could have cause the caching to become inefficient for larger projects).

Cristian Garcia

Apr 16, 2015, 8:33:58 PM4/16/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I am on windows and the most common problem is autocomplete: I am not getting feedback of methods and fields that belong to a super class unless I resort to doing "this.method" which looks too verbose, I tend to delete "this" after the autocomplete builds the parameter structure.

Eric Clayberg (Google)

Apr 18, 2015, 1:39:22 PM4/18/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
We would encourage anyone having a problem with 1.9 with the Analysis Server turned on to try the latest 1.10 dev build and let us know if that makes a difference. We are also interested in any sample code bases that have a problem with 1.10 with the Analysis Server turned on.

Cristian Garcia

Apr 18, 2015, 2:19:11 PM4/18/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Daniel,

When trying to get autocomplete super class methods and fields I start typing the name and do a "ctrl + space" but I get nothing, so I do "this." and the autocomplete kicks in with the correct stuff. It might be that its slow and still searching, I don't know.

Another thing is that now I don't get ANY auto complete for named parameters. I have to put my mouse on the function and see all the signature.

Daniel Rubel

Apr 20, 2015, 8:54:32 AM4/20/15
to General Dart Discussion
On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Cristian Garcia <cgarc...@gmail.com> wrote:
When trying to get autocomplete super class methods and fields I start typing the name and do a "ctrl + space" but I get nothing, so I do "this." and the autocomplete kicks in with the correct stuff. It might be that its slow and still searching, I don't know.

Definitely work in progress. It would be good to know if it is too slow for you or missing functionality. Please wait for analysis to complete, position your cursor where you expect to find super class methods and fields, then type ctrl-space. PLMK what you find.

Another thing is that now I don't get ANY auto complete for named parameters. I have to put my mouse on the function and see all the signature.

Kasper Lund

Apr 23, 2015, 7:49:06 AM4/23/15
to General Dart Discussion

Hans,

Did you ever get the chance to try the 1.10 dev channel builds with the new analysis server turned back on?

Cheers,
Kasper

Cristian Garcia

Apr 28, 2015, 2:18:24 PM4/28/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Kaspar,

I still don't get autocompletion for named parameters with the Analysis Server in Dart Editor version 1.10.0.dev_01_10 (DEV).