Intent to Remove: VM's legacy debug protocol

Seth Ladd

Oct 6, 2015, 12:38:14 PM10/6/15
to General Dart Discussion

We intend to remove the VM's legacy debug protocol in the first 1.14-dev channel build. The 1.13 SDK will be the last SDK to ship with the legacy protocol in the VM.

Developers writing debuggers should move to the VM's Service Protocol, described here. Wrapper libraries are here

Most users are probably not directly using the VM's legacy debug protocol, and thus we expect minimal impact on end users. We have been working with tool vendors [*] to implement the new Service Protocol in time for Dart SDK's 1.14 release.

If you feel this removal impacts your work, please file an issue: http://dartbug.com

[*] the eclipse plugin for Dart will not be migrated to the new service protocol, and thus stand-alone debugging in the eclipse plugin will stop working with Dart 1.14. If you are using the Eclipse plugin, and you want to debug the stand-alone VM, we recommend that you use IntelliJ or WebStorm or Observatory.

Kasper Peulen

Oct 6, 2015, 2:30:36 PM10/6/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Is there anything that will noticibly change in Webstorm/IntelliJ debugging once this is integrated and the old one removed?

Kasper

Jan Mostert

Oct 7, 2015, 1:49:29 AM10/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

What will the new debug process be for web based applications?
pub serve --mode="debug"
And then remotely attach a debugger?

Alexander Doroshko

Oct 7, 2015, 4:56:07 AM10/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
On 06.10.2015 21:30, Kasper Peulen wrote:
> Is there anything that will noticibly change in Webstorm/IntelliJ
> debugging once this is integrated and the old one removed?
No, debugging experience will remain pretty much the same.

George Moschovitis

Oct 7, 2015, 1:23:01 PM10/7/15
to Dart Misc

[*] the eclipse plugin for Dart will not be migrated to the new service protocol, and thus stand-alone debugging in the eclipse plugin will stop working with Dart 1.14. If you are using the Eclipse plugin, and you want to debug the stand-alone VM, we recommend that you use IntelliJ or WebStorm or Observatory.

Is it really soo difficult to update the eclipse plugin with support for the new protocol? Eclipse + the plugin is a great env for dart coding and I would love to be able to continue using it.