Where is Dart on TIOBE Index?

Jiakui Wang

Apr 10, 2014, 12:36:22 PM4/10/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Years ago Dart was on TIOBE top 100 list. Now I can't see it anymore! Does it means less people are using Dart than before?

Bob Nystrom

Apr 10, 2014, 12:56:17 PM4/10/14
to General Dart Discussion

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Jiakui Wang <ira...@gmail.com> wrote:
Now I can't see it anymore! Does it means less people are using Dart than before?

No, it doesn't. All of the metrics we track show continual growth.

The simple answer here is that the TIOBE index is... uh... bad. You'll note that they don't list TypeScript or even CoffeeScript either.

A language popularity index that sees fit to include Clean (an academic language that's been dead for a few years), and Slate and Felix (interesting languages but close to one-man hobby projects) but omits CoffeeScript (one of the top ten languages on GitHub) isn't something I would take very seriously.

- bob

Alex Tatumizer

Apr 10, 2014, 4:30:09 PM4/10/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
There's another index, which includes dart:

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2014/01/22/language-rankings-1-14/

Please look under FORTRAN a bit below diaginal. Dart is not doing that badly there.

Gen

Apr 10, 2014, 4:52:12 PM4/10/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
I do not understand the redmonk ranking.

I think this one might be better:
http://langpop.corger.nl/

Randal L. Schwartz

Apr 12, 2014, 11:13:19 AM4/12/14
to mi...@dartlang.org

Bob> The simple answer here is that the TIOBE index
Bob> is... uh... bad. You'll note that they don't list TypeScript or
Bob> even CoffeeScript either.

TIOBE has also been unfairly mean to mature languages like Perl. More
Perl is happening today than even in the dot-com boom, yet TIOBE keeps
dropping it like a rock. We suspect it's because people aren't
google-ing for Perl things, because the existing docs are incredible.

<mer...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig