Why doesn't Dart get any love on Google Cloud?

Danny Tuppeny

Mar 11, 2017, 8:31:12 AM3/11/17
to Dart Misc
App Engine's "standard environment" supports Python, Java, PHP and Go and the "Flexible environment" says the "supported" languages are Python, Java, Node.js, Go, Ruby, PHP, or .NET. Cloud Functions (beta) is nodejs only.

Given Dart's apparent popularity in Google (and the fact that it was created by Google), it's weird to see Ruby, PHP and even .NET listed as supported languages on a Google platform with Dart nowhere to be seen.

Dart seems like a natural fit for things like App Engine and Cloud Functions! Are the reasons technical? political? Is Dart not Mature enough? Is this likely to change anytime soon?

Mark Nordine

Mar 11, 2017, 9:28:39 AM3/11/17
to Dart Misc
Noticed the same thing on that announcement. Seems absurd and very disappointing.

Michael Francis

Mar 11, 2017, 11:36:51 AM3/11/17
to Dart Misc
I think server side Dart just hasn't become popular yet. It's really lacking in support. Not necessarily the language itself but libraries. The different database libraries are very minimally supported. I don't think the MySQL client has been updated in a good long while.

I really wish that weren't the case. If Google wanted to pay me 100k a year I'd gladly maintain such libraries. :P

Michael Francis

---

Danny Tuppeny

Mar 11, 2017, 1:02:07 PM3/11/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 at 16:36 Michael Francis <mfran...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think server side Dart just hasn't become popular yet.

Maybe if it was available in more places it'd become popular faster =)

Google (presumably) want people to pick Dart over Node.. Having services where Node works and Dart does not probably isn't helping the cause. Why would you pick something that severely limits your options for hosting it?

Günter Zöchbauer

Mar 11, 2017, 3:45:09 PM3/11/17
to Dart Misc
Not they promote that any language can run in AppEngine, therefore this should be obsolete (haven't checked details)

Danny Tuppeny

Mar 11, 2017, 5:22:23 PM3/11/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 at 20:45 Günter Zöchbauer <gzo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not they promote that any language can run in AppEngine, therefore this should be obsolete (haven't checked details)

I presume the ones listed are those with release SDKs. Dart is actually listed here (hurrah!) though as "Early-stage" and "beta"; though it's not totally clear what the status is.

Maybe Dart is on its way to an equal footing with .NET there :-)

Matthew Butler

Mar 15, 2017, 10:00:24 AM3/15/17
to Dart Misc
While there's no first level language support for Dart in App Engine ( *sad panda*) Dart does have a nice (if somewhat hidden) overview on using Dart in the cloud.

In particular it covers using Managed VMs and references appengine libraries in Dart.

md9pr...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2017, 5:10:21 AM11/27/17
to Dart Misc
Could not agree more with Danny Tuppeny.
Its unbeliavable how Google could become such a big corporation
being so bad in marketing.

Dart being everywhere is a key point to become a mainstream language.
Unless they changed their minds and don´t want it anymore.