Dart install instructions (proposed change)

Robert Åkerblom-Andersson

Apr 29, 2017, 8:01:01 AM4/29/17
to Dart Misc
Hi,

I have been using and following Dart since the really early days, and the I have never really liked install docs. Today I was browsing the webdev site and got pleasantly surprised by it's clear and easy Dart install instructions, I really liked it, but then I realized that the install instruction at the main site have not changed. Those instructions work, but they are not great when you compare to nodejs install instructions for example, or the new webdev instructions for installing Dart.

# dartlang.org install experience

# nodejs  install experience

# My proposed new install experience, merging the old dartlang and new webdev instruction*

*Bare in mind this is concept/idea/mock level, I have made screenshots and copy pasted in Gimp... Basically my idea is to put the easy to use install segment from webdev front and center at the main install page, then collect the existing topics under a single header below saying something like "Detailed install instructions" or something like that, the manual zip install and zip file archive could be grouped together with the automated install instructions in a single list. The old more verbose page you get to when you click "Install Dart on Linux" for example could be kept, because they have some good detailed info, but hide them a little bit from new users needing to quickly install Dart, while at the same time pushing the easy/fast to use/grasp instruction at the top, 90% or more people only need that little section and people who want more details can find their way using the detailed links below. The correct OS tab could also be auto selected using a minimal Dart script so it always shows the instructions for the same OS as your browser.

What do you all think about this proposal?

Sincerely, Robert

Michael Thomsen

May 3, 2017, 6:55:54 AM5/3/17
to mi...@dartlang.org, Kevin Moore, Filip Hracek
I think that is a good idea! But it would be nice if the OS toggle affected the URL so that searches such as 'dart install windows' would land on the right page.

Kevin/Filip, WDYT?

---

Robert Åkerblom-Andersson

May 3, 2017, 7:29:49 AM5/3/17
to Dart Misc, kev...@google.com, fil...@google.com
Glad to hear that Michael. =)

The url could be changed without reloads using pushState. If the same route would serve "/install" and "/install/{os}" then you could check the url in Dart and add or act on the OS part when needed. The current routes like "/install/windows" would need a new route if we would do it like that. The webdev page seem to always show me the Linux instructions so there might be an OS check there already.