Is anyone really using dart:web_sql?

George Moschovitis

May 20, 2015, 2:23:27 PM5/20/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Maybe it should be converted to a normal package, implemented with js interop.
(Or just removed altogether...)

Alan Knight

May 20, 2015, 3:04:55 PM5/20/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I think either of those would be excellent ideas.

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 11:23 AM George Moschovitis <george.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe it should be converted to a normal package, implemented with js interop.
(Or just removed altogether...)

Jim Trainor

May 20, 2015, 4:09:07 PM5/20/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I don't use it at the moment but there is one remaining modern browser that does not support indexed_db, that being the embedded Safari web view on iOS. I suppose we can expect that indexed_db will appear there eventually but until it does web_sql remains the escape hatch.  Eventually, if Apples never implement indexed_db support in embedded safari, I can imagine using web_sql. Although dart:js access to it is okay if web_sql disappears.

A further point to consider is that there is still quite a lot of variation in the quality and completeness of indexed_db implementations. I imagine that a demanding application that uses web sql may not be ready, or able, to change until indexed_db implementations improve.  Not a Dart issue per se.

George Moschovitis

May 21, 2015, 2:29:40 AM5/21/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
A further point to consider is that there is still quite a lot of variation in the quality and completeness of indexed_db implementations. I imagine that a demanding application that uses web sql may not be ready, or able, to change until indexed_db implementations improve.  Not a Dart issue per se.

Is there really any dart application running in iOS' WebView?
Even this 'imaginary' application could use js interop (like the new package for web notifications)

-g.

Thomas Schranz

May 21, 2015, 3:28:11 AM5/21/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
iPads are also iOS and many 'desktop' web apps run there as well :)

Jim Trainor

May 21, 2015, 5:44:29 AM5/21/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Many applications run in an embedded web view. For example, Chrome packaged apps can be repackaged as Android and iOS applications - something I find rather interesting and will likely be trying myself. That's done using Cordova which, of course, uses a web view.  See here: http://blog.chromium.org/2014/01/run-chrome-apps-on-mobile-using-apache.html.

The application I'm in the midst of developing, when finished, will run everywhere that dart2js runs... which is every modern desktop and mobile browser. iOS is the only problem spot for me at the moment thanks to weak indexed_db. support, but my code anticipated that and has an interface abstraction around the browser database. As things have turned out most browsers have good enough indexed_db support (although far from perfect or complete).  Safari mobile is the last waiting to get support.

Alan Knight

May 21, 2015, 12:54:03 PM5/21/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I don't know if there are or not, but I would think they could just use dart2js, with or without JS interop.

-g.

George Moschovitis

May 21, 2015, 2:06:24 PM5/21/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Many applications run in an embedded web view.

I know, I am working on such an (JavaScript) app for a living ;-) I don't think there are any Dart apps running embedded in web view (especially using web_sql).

-g.