Static site generator in dart

alex

Feb 16, 2013, 6:02:13 AM2/16/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
I like dart since the beginning for writing small web apps and command line utilities. For web sites (not apps in a single page), as soon as you want to have more than one pages, generating HTML is a pain, as soon as you want to have the proper html header or common needs (boostrap, analytics, menus, favicon, mobile tags...) and good search indexing (i.e. with content in the HTML, not loaded dynamically). It seems that the dartlang.org site use Jekyll to generate its site and I guess dart can make what Ruby/Python do...
I started my own utility just to share a footer/header for 3 or 4 pages but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
Is there any work any progress regarding having a static site generator written in dart?
Simple ideas using build.dart and some utilities to generate pages from some HTML snippet or Markdown files are welcome (The html5lib looks like a good utility)
Also if there is a dart initiative to build a full features CMS generated from json/yaml/html files, I would be even more interested.
thanks
--alex

poltomb

Feb 17, 2013, 11:21:54 PM2/17/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I do believe you can do such a thing with Web UI, specifically, the web components piece. Since web components are not fully supported in all browsers (yet) the Web UI team has made a compiler to turn the web components into standard dart/html.

Bob Nystrom

Mar 4, 2013, 1:29:23 PM3/4/13
to General Dart Discussion

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 3:02 AM, alex <al...@tekartik.com> wrote:
Is there any work any progress regarding having a static site generator written in dart?

I'm not aware of one, though I do think it would be nice. It's a use case where client-side Dart penetration doesn't matter and you don't need a wide swatch of libraries to implement it. It's basically just some file IO and a little templating. Hell, if I had the time, I'd probably be writing one. :)

Cheers,

- bob

Michael Haubenwallner

Mar 4, 2013, 3:43:31 PM3/4/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Hi Alex, i'm in process of planning a website creator, dev should start this month.
I have a stong backgroung in Python based CMS (Zope and Plone).
If you want to share thoughts and insights please let me know.
Once the github project is online it will be simple to join development.

Best, Michael

Thomas Schranz

Jul 23, 2013, 3:02:04 PM7/23/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Do you guys know existing projects in that direction already?

We're looking to simplify our language stack (we use jekyll right now but that's the only ruby dependency we have)
so we were thinking about pelican (python) or if there is something in Dart already it would be awesome as well :)

Justin Fagnani

Jul 23, 2013, 3:24:17 PM7/23/13
to General Dart Discussion
IMO, the ultimate solution here is to be able to render MDV templates on the server, so that not only do you get a static site generator, but you get an optimizer for dynamic sites.

That's probably quite a challenge, because we don't have server-side dart:html and html5lib does not really implement the DOM accurately, but at least the templates could be HTML with MDV-style mustaches, <template> tags, and HTML imports. That could possibly allow some reuse of templates now, even if you couldn't use custom elements or standard DOM-manipulating code on the server.

-Justin

George Moschovitis

Jul 23, 2013, 3:30:02 PM7/23/13
to mi...@dartlang.org

IMO, the ultimate solution here is to be able to render MDV templates on the server, so that not only do you get a static site generator, but you get an optimizer for ...custom elements or standard DOM-manipulating code on the server.

I hinted about this in the past. That would be absolutely fantastic.

-g.

Seth Ladd

Jul 23, 2013, 4:18:29 PM7/23/13
to General Dart Discussion
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Thomas Schranz <tho...@blossom.io> wrote:
Do you guys know existing projects in that direction already?

We're looking to simplify our language stack (we use jekyll right now but that's the only ruby dependency we have)
so we were thinking about pelican (python) or if there is something in Dart already it would be awesome as well :)

FWIW the dartlang.org site is built with jekyll. If there was an equivalent built with Dart, we'd use it. :)

Sayth Renshaw

Nov 19, 2016, 7:41:40 AM11/19/16
to Dart Misc
There is stillshot https://pub.dartlang.org/packages/stillshot
Not sure if anyone else has found others.

Sayth