[dart-announce] Dart 1.1 is here!

Kasper Lund

Jan 16, 2014, 12:34:56 PM1/16/14
to anno...@dartlang.org, General Dart Discussion
Dartisans,

We're very happy to announce the release of Dart 1.1 to the stable channel.

Better performance, more features, and improved tools mark the 1.1
release of Dart. Just two months after the 1.0 release, this new
release delivers a set of compatible updates that makes applications
easier to develop and faster for end users.

Dart’s Javascript output continues to shine. Performance on the
Richards benchmark is 25% better than the first release, making
runtime comparable to the original JavaScript. Performance of the
newest benchmark, FluidMotion, has doubled since November. Dart2js now
generates Javascript that performs as well as, if not better than, the
idiomatic Javascript equivalent.

While there’s a lot of focus on Dart for browser applications, there
is also growing interest in Dart for server solutions. This release
provides a number of enhancements for server-side Dart, including
support for large files, file copying, process signal handlers, and
terminal information. New in this release is support for UDP, which,
for example, allows developers to write more efficient media streaming
apps.

The Dart Editor has added a number of features to increase
productivity. Developers will find improved debugging, better code
completion, and more descriptive tooltips. Overall performance of the
editor and the analyzer has also improved.

We’re excited about the new features now available in Dart 1.1. Tell
us what you build with Dart in our Google+ community and let us know
if you have any issues or feature requests.

--
See http://news.dartlang.org/2014/01/dart-11-features-up-to-25-faster.html
for the full story.

Günter Zöchbauer

Jan 16, 2014, 2:25:52 PM1/16/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Congratulations! Great work.

George Moschovitis

Jan 16, 2014, 5:36:06 PM1/16/14
to mi...@dartlang.org

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:25:52 PM UTC+2, Günter Zöchbauer wrote:
Congratulations! Great work.

Congrats!

now, what about those enums? ;-)

-g.

Bob Nystrom

Jan 16, 2014, 6:23:48 PM1/16/14
to General Dart Discussion

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM, George Moschovitis <george.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
now, what about those enums? ;-)

:)

Now that we're getting an Ecma committee set up and stuff, the language design is in a sort of holding pattern until we get that squared away and figure out how what the actual language process is going to be going forward.

Cheers!

- bob

Gen

Jan 16, 2014, 6:43:03 PM1/16/14
Who is member of the committee ?
Do they have any agenda ?
Is this a secret ?
I hope these guys are capable, brave and like minded enough to bring us enums soon.
Maybe via macros ? Just a wild and rather thoughtless guess of mine.

And of course, good work so far :-)
Thanks.

Bob Nystrom

Jan 16, 2014, 7:20:34 PM1/16/14
to General Dart Discussion

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Gen <gp78...@gmail.com> wrote:
Who is part of the committee ?

I think the first part of forming the committee will be determining who's on it.

Do they have any agenda ?

To standardize the syntax and semantics of a modern, object oriented programming language called Dart as well as standardizing core libraries and complementary technologies that support the language. This work should not use patents or if so then only royalty free patents.  To aid in achieving that objective, this TC will use an experimental TC52 RF patent policy similar that has been developed for use by TC39.

Is this a secret ?

If it was, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?

I hope these guys are capable, brave and like minded enough to bring us enums soon.

Me too!

- bob

Cogman

Jan 16, 2014, 8:16:23 PM1/16/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
How fast are we thinking the language will evolve?  C++ is on a 2 year release cycle now with major updates every 4 years.  Will dart going into a similar pattern?

Matthew Butler

Jan 17, 2014, 8:42:28 AM1/17/14
to mi...@dartlang.org

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:20:34 PM UTC-4, Bob Nystrom wrote:

To standardize the syntax and semantics of a modern, object oriented programming language called Dart as well as standardizing core libraries and complementary technologies that support the language. This work should not use patents or if so then only royalty free patents.  To aid in achieving that objective, this TC will use an experimental TC52 RF patent policy similar that has been developed for use by TC39.
- bob

Emphasis my own. I'm curious as to how exactly the commit will affect other areas of Dart like the Editor and pub as two main ones (dart2js seems like it would be too but should be fairly stable by comparison of the other two). But will any features added to either of these tools, need to start going through the committee as well?

Matt

Eric Clayberg (Google)

Jan 17, 2014, 10:50:10 AM1/17/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
The language committee will affect the Editor only to the extent that the Editor needs to track the language. We will add support for new language features, add any new errors and warnings that might be defined, etc. Presumably that will be true for other tooling that wants to track the language as well. As far as new Editor features are concerned, we will continue to add features that make sense and that are of interest to the community (primarily as expressed via the issue tracker).

Matthew Butler

Jan 17, 2014, 10:58:36 AM1/17/14
to mi...@dartlang.org

On Friday, January 17, 2014 11:50:10 AM UTC-4, Eric Clayberg (Google) wrote:
The language committee will affect the Editor only to the extent that the Editor needs to track the language. We will add support for new language features, add any new errors and warnings that might be defined, etc. Presumably that will be true for other tooling that wants to track the language as well. As far as new Editor features are concerned, we will continue to add features that make sense and that are of interest to the community (primarily as expressed via the issue tracker).

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response Eric =) I'm glad to know that the Editor development will be separate from Language/core libraries and not limited to the same review/approval process as language/library changes. I fully support the standardization of the language etc, but I know that it could hamper/slow some tooling iterations if it also needed to go through the same committee process :)

Matt

Bob Nystrom

Jan 17, 2014, 12:34:27 PM1/17/14
to General Dart Discussion

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:42 AM, Matthew Butler <butler....@gmail.com> wrote:
pub as two main ones

As far as I know, the committee won't be directly involved in pub. Dart has always been designed to have a layer of separation there. The committee could affect things like, for example, the syntax and semantics for "package:" imports which would effect pub, but I don't think they'll directly poke into pub itself.

Cheers!

- bob

Anders Sandholm

Jan 17, 2014, 7:17:27 PM1/17/14
to Public Dart List
For the time being we will concentrate on the syntax and semantics of Dart. The wording around "complementary tools" is mainly there for the case where it might at a later point in time make sense to specify which warnings, hints, etc, tools should provide as a minimum.

HTH,
Anders

Anders Thorhauge Sandholm,
Product Manager, Google Denmark
CVR nr. 28 86 69 84

Gen

Jan 18, 2014, 4:59:15 AM1/18/14
Thanks for the reply.

By "secret" I wanted to ask if the committee members will be known or remain secret and out of touch; sorry for the confusing structure of my last post.

But such general "agenda" is what I would call a secret agenda too.
Is there a way to know when and on what topic (enum, whitespace sensitive macro system, isolates and reference passing,...) the committee is working on and with what success and timeline ?
And what is the role of Lars and Gilad in the future ?
Do their choices have a special importance ?
Will there be votes in this forum ?

It seems that the committee is very important for Dart but almost nothing is known about it.
I guess because the committee is not yet complete and functional.

Anders Sandholm

Jan 20, 2014, 7:46:48 PM1/20/14
to Public Dart List
On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Gen <gp78...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

By "secret" I wanted to ask if the committee members will be known or remain secret and out of touch; sorry for the confusing structure of my last post.

Anyone is free to become an Ecma member and join the committee as described in the original announcement: http://news.dartlang.org/2013/12/ecma-forms-tc52-for-dart-standardization.html - So we don't decide who are members and it is not necessarily a static thing.

But such general "agenda" is what I would call a secret agenda too.
Is there a way to know when and on what topic (enum, certain syntax, isolates and reference passing,...) the committee is working on and with what success and timeline ?

We are working out what the date of the first meeting will be.
As soon as there is a more specific agenda for this first meeting, I'll make sure to make it available.

And what is the role of Lars and Gilad in the future ?
Do their choices have a special importance ?
Will there be votes in this forum ?

Gilad is actively participating in the committee and driving most of the work.
The way it usually works is that the members will try to find solutions that everyone can agree to.
If that's not possible, decisions are formally made by voting where each member has one vote.

It seems that the committee is very important for Dart but almost nothing is known about it.
I guess because the committee is not yet complete and functional.

Indeed.
We are working on that.