Do you use the VM's legacy debug protocol? Do you debug VM apps from WebStorm?

Seth Ladd

Aug 27, 2015, 2:35:26 PM8/27/15
to General Dart Discussion
Hello Dartisans,

If you use the legacy debug protocol with the Dart VM, we would like to know. If you sit in IntelliJ/WebStorm and use its debugger to debug apps running in the stand-alone VM, we'd also like to know.

The old legacy protocol isn't not supported, and before we delete it, we need to determine the impact.

The VM has a new, supported, full-featured, working Service Protocol that should be used if you are connecting into the internals of the VM.

Thanks for the feedback!
Seth

Monty Rasmussen

Aug 27, 2015, 11:22:45 PM8/27/15
to Dart Misc
Yep! I and every Dart dev I know uses WebStorm this way every day. It would definitely be nice to get JetBrains to move to the new hotness before you pull the plug on the legacy stuff.  :)

tomaszkubacki

Aug 28, 2015, 1:51:58 AM8/28/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
And what about Dart Eclipse plugin ? Is it using newer service protocol or legacy debug protocol ?

I still find Eclipse + Dart plugin better than IntelliJ (even though Eclipse is worse than IntelliJ) because of debugger working generally better with Eclipse.

Günter Zöchbauer

Aug 28, 2015, 2:52:18 AM8/28/15
to Dart Misc
+1

Frank Pepermans

Aug 28, 2015, 3:10:45 AM8/28/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

+1 (still using the old Dart Editor)

Jos Hirth

Aug 28, 2015, 10:03:57 AM8/28/15
to Dart Misc
I debug from within Eclipse. This means I use the legacy debug protocol, right?

Will the Eclipse plugin be updated to use the new protocol?

Bluenuance

Aug 28, 2015, 11:04:35 AM8/28/15
to Dart Misc
+1 for WebStorm debugging in the stand-alone VM

Петър Събев

Aug 28, 2015, 5:35:58 PM8/28/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
+1

Ron Gonzalez Lobo

Aug 28, 2015, 7:38:35 PM8/28/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
+1 for WebStorm

Jack Murphy

Aug 28, 2015, 7:54:38 PM8/28/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
+ 1 webstorm

Sent from my iPhone

Dániel Varga

Aug 31, 2015, 6:40:49 AM8/31/15
to Dart Misc
+3 Webstorm :)

tomaszkubacki

Oct 20, 2015, 4:50:49 AM10/20/15
to Dart Misc
Anybody is aware if Dart plugin for Eclipse and Webstorm are still using lagacy protocol ?

Günter Zöchbauer

Oct 20, 2015, 4:56:56 AM10/20/15
to Dart Misc
As far as I know, yes.
WebStorm should be upgraded in time
but the Eclipse plugin was deprecated recently AFAIK, I guess you are out of luck with WebStorm.

Daniel Davidson

Oct 20, 2015, 6:39:40 AM10/20/15
to Dart Misc
Really? The only reason I paid for webstorm when dart editor was decommissioned was to be able debug Dart for server/command apps?

Any chance they could just get an emacs gud setup for that? I'd pitch in the same price I paid for webstorm for a good one of those.

Günter Zöchbauer

Oct 20, 2015, 7:06:28 AM10/20/15
to Dart Misc
I don't understand your comment.
I saw a comment from WebStorm that they will ensure to support the new protocol before the old is removed. The new one just became available.

Daniel Davidson

Oct 20, 2015, 7:21:18 AM10/20/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

Gunter,

Sorry, please ignore my comment. I think I misunderstood the part "... I guess you are out of luck with WebStorm."

Would still love emacs integration, though.

Günter Zöchbauer

Oct 20, 2015, 7:42:34 AM10/20/15
to Dart Misc

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 1:21:18 PM UTC+2, Daniel Davidson wrote:

Gunter,

Sorry, please ignore my comment. I think I misunderstood the part "... I guess you are out of luck with WebStorm."

Noo, that was my mistake!

I meant: I guess your are out of luck with *Eclipse*

Sorry for that :-/

Kao peter

Oct 22, 2015, 11:05:00 AM10/22/15
to Dart Misc