Vote for Dart support in Visual Studio Code

Danny Tuppeny

May 7, 2015, 2:12:18 AM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
MS already rejected the request for Dart in Visual Studio; and I don't think it's likely DartVS will ever properly be finished. I posted in UserVoice about adding it to VS Code. Maybe with enough votes they'll consider it there?

(If not, and the extension API is better than the one in VS, I'll give it a go; but I think MS would do a better job than me!)

Mayuresh Kathe

May 7, 2015, 2:15:42 AM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

Wouldn't MS be more interested in supporting TypeScript instead of it's competitor/alternative, i.e. Dart.

Cristian Garcia

May 7, 2015, 6:37:52 AM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

Typescript is already supported.

Thomas Schranz

May 7, 2015, 6:58:05 PM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I assume over time they will add support for more languages like PHP et al, why not Dart :)
Makes sense to show we're interested, I certainly am.

Danny Tuppeny

May 8, 2015, 8:03:36 AM5/8/15
to mi...@dartlang.org, mayu...@kathe.in
Strange... didn't get any email notifications for these replies, despite the option in my group membership settings being ticked (and getting notification for replies to my other posts!)

Wouldn't MS be more interested in supporting TypeScript instead of it's competitor/alternative, i.e. Dart.

These are not mutually exclusive. They are able to support multiple languages! ;)

This is a different Microsoft. You can run Linux servers on Azure. .NET is becoming fully supported on Linux and Mac. Lots of stuff is being open sourced!

MS don't lose out by giving people an IDE that supports more languages; you're not going to pick TypeScript over Dart because of VSCode. You might pick WebStorm over VSCode if you want to write Dart though. They have more to gain by supporting it than not.

In any case; it won't happen if there's no demand for it; hence UserVoice :)

And if they won't do it, and the extension API is more sane than Visual Studio's (how can it not be?) so maybe the community can do it. The Analysis Server already does all the heavy lifting.

Grant Jason

May 8, 2015, 11:21:46 AM5/8/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I'd vote for Dart in Visual Studio, as VS is so feature rich.
But I just see too many viable alternatives to VS Code that I have no interest there; I could be missing something though, so I'm open to convincing :)

Danny Tuppeny

May 8, 2015, 2:03:44 PM5/8/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
On 8 May 2015 at 16:21, Grant Jason <grant...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd vote for Dart in Visual Studio, as VS is so feature rich.

That's on UserVoice too, but was declined. It was also raised with Mads that works on WebEssentials, who declined and said to use DartVS ;o(

But I just see too many viable alternatives to VS Code that I have no interest there; I could be missing something though, so I'm open to convincing :)

Currently, code is pretty basic. However, I'm not really happy with any Dart IDE currently, and it's one of the big things we're currently evaluating while trying to make a decision about Dart vs TypeScript. CDE looked promising, but was canned before even getting real code completion. DartEditor is being abandoned. WebStorm is really clunky and unpolished compared to VS. Atom etc. only have basic syntax highlighting; no analysis.

I'm really disappointed there will be no first-party editor from Google and my editor of choice (VS) has such an awful extension API :(

So, I have my fingers crossed maybe VS Code can be what I hoped CDE would be!

Thomas Schranz

May 8, 2015, 9:00:22 PM5/8/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I'm also very intrigued by Visual Studio Code being cross platform & web based.
I hope going forward they will open source more and more of the editor itself and make it easier to extend.

It's good to have competition in the Atom & Sublime space of lightweight editors and I think over time
as these lightweight editors grow in power (thanks to external analysis services) we will see an IDE renaissance.

Metronome

May 9, 2015, 2:39:15 AM5/9/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I would still use Intellij as I pay for Ultimate but having more support is always good.  Now if someone would just write Ensime for Dart I could go back to Emacs for Dart.

Jos Hirth

May 10, 2015, 12:29:36 PM5/10/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 3:00:22 AM UTC+2, Thomas Schranz wrote:
I'm also very intrigued by Visual Studio Code being cross platform & web based.
I hope going forward they will open source more and more of the editor itself and make it easier to extend.

A plugin system is planned:

A plugin for Komodo (which is comparatively lightweight) would be neat, but that probably won't happen.

So, my plan is to switch to Atom once the plugin becomes usable.

Davy Mitchell

May 11, 2015, 2:31:04 AM5/11/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Komodo is kind of nice. Geany looks like a contender to me (fast, lightweight, cross-platform etc).

No-plugin as yet but maybe once I get this book written... :-)

Cheers,
Davy

Danny Tuppeny

May 11, 2015, 7:08:02 AM5/11/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
On 10 May 2015 at 17:29, Jos Hirth <google...@kaioa.com> wrote:
So, my plan is to switch to Atom once the plugin becomes usable.

Is someone working on Atom integration? I saw syntax highlighting, but nothing using the analysis service?

Arron Washington

May 11, 2015, 12:24:03 PM5/11/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
The next release of dart-tools* will support basic auto complete and linting via the analysis server. It's not due for a few more days. I think atom-dart is aiming to be more IDE-like.

* do not use the current 0.8.x release! It is not 1.0 compatible. It's not even sub-1.0 compatible!

Danny Tuppeny

May 11, 2015, 3:59:24 PM5/11/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
On 11 May 2015 at 17:24, Arron Washington <l33...@gmail.com> wrote:
The next release of dart-tools* will support basic auto complete and linting via the analysis server. It's not due for a few more days. I think atom-dart is aiming to be more IDE-like.

* do not use the current 0.8.x release! It is not 1.0 compatible. It's not even sub-1.0 compatible!

I don't currently use Atom at all; but if it has Dart integration with the Analysis Service, I'd give it a go :)

Filipe Morgado

May 11, 2015, 6:18:02 PM5/11/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I heard that Kenneth (and colleagues) are working on an Atom plugin. Everything the analysis server provides will be supported.

That guy usually gets things done.

Mark H

May 12, 2015, 6:20:20 AM5/12/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I have been hoping for proper VS support for Dart since the beginning and had high hopes for Danny's project.

However, it seems now unlikely that we will get it unless Google, MS or some other big entity with spare programming capacity take up the seemly complex challenge!

Danny Tuppeny

May 12, 2015, 6:24:23 AM5/12/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
On 12 May 2015 at 11:20, Mark H <mark.h...@btinternet.com> wrote:
I have been hoping for proper VS support for Dart since the beginning and had high hopes for Danny's project.

However, it seems now unlikely that we will get it unless Google, MS or some other big entity with spare programming capacity take up the seemly complex challenge!

Someone else who's worked on VS extensions has expressed an interest in helping me worth the hurdles I got stuck on today.. Maybe there's hope; watch this space :)

Mark H

May 12, 2015, 8:04:28 AM5/12/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Wow - that sounds promising!

I shall keep and eye on things and wait with baited breath.

Danny Tuppeny

May 12, 2015, 8:38:51 AM5/12/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
On 12 May 2015 at 13:04, Mark H <mark.h...@btinternet.com> wrote:
Wow - that sounds promising!

I shall keep and eye on things and wait with baited breath.

It'd be good to have people help test the extension before publishing (I have a very limited amount of "real world" Dart code), so if anyone is interested, let me know and once it gets a bit more stable, it'd be good to get feedback (stability is an rea that needs some work). It can be installedinto the test VS hive to avoid affecting real VS.

Mark H

May 12, 2015, 8:44:24 AM5/12/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Quite willing to test once it gets to a suitable point. Keep me posted.

tekz omnisoft

May 12, 2015, 9:05:06 AM5/12/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

We have some internal apps we could use for testing.

Danny Tuppeny

May 13, 2015, 1:32:13 AM5/13/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Thanks; will post here when things a bit more complete :)