Announcing Dart Sass

Natalie Weizenbaum

Oct 31, 2016, 5:11:54 PM10/31/16
to General Dart Discussion
Hi everyone,

You all probably mostly know me from my work on the Dart team, but in my 20% time I'm also the lead designer and developer of Sass, the internet's oldest and most popular CSS preprocessor. Over the past six months I've been working on an entirely new implementation, and today I released Dart Sass 1.0.0-alpha.1.

You can read the public announcement for full details, but the short version is this: Dart Sass aims to be much faster than the original Ruby implementation, while also being much quicker to develop than LibSass, which is written in C++. It can also be compiled to JavaScript, and my goal is for it to be as easy as possible to drop in to existing JavaScript build systems both internally and externally. I'll continue maintaining Ruby Sass for the next year, but eventually Dart Sass will take its place as the reference implementation of the language.

If anyone's interested in helping out, I'd love more contributors. Sass is widely-used, and soon enough Dart Sass will be the most advanced implementation around. Even a small contribution will make many users' lives better. The project is still young, so there's plenty of work of all sorts to do, and I'll be happy to help out anyone who's interested in giving it a try.

- Natalie

Istvan Soos

Oct 31, 2016, 5:45:18 PM10/31/16
to General Dart Discussion
Thank you, this is great news!

Cheers,
Istvan
> --
> For other discussions, see https://groups.google.com/a/dartlang.org/
>
> For HOWTO questions, visit http://stackoverflow.com/tags/dart
>
> To file a bug report or feature request, go to http://www.dartbug.com/new
> ---
> "Dart Misc" group.
> email to misc+uns...@dartlang.org.

Steve Lympany

Oct 31, 2016, 6:35:55 PM10/31/16
to Dart Misc
Hi,
Very timely! As a newish Ubuntu user, my first attempts to get Ruby-sass going failed. So, I've just (obviously!) installed dart-sass and run it in Webstorm's terminal. Very quick, and seems to work with my complex (for me) sass loops and variables.

$otherCharsPeople: A B C D E F G H I J K L;

$count: 0;

@each $p1 in $otherCharsPeople {
$rr: 6;
$bb: 1;
@each $p2 in $numberChars {
@each $p3 in $numberChars {
$count: $count+1;
@if ($count<=$maxpeople) {
$bb: $bb+1;
@if ($bb>16) {
$bb: 1;
}
$rr: $rr+1;
@if ($rr>16) {
$rr: 1;
}
$b1: $bb+1;
$b2: $bb+2;
$b3: $bb+3;
$b4: $bb+4;
.#{$p1}#{$p2}#{$p3} {
border: 1px solid #555555;
text-align: center;
background-color: unquote(nth($firstCharsLight,$rr)
+ nth($charsHigh2,$bb)
+ nth($charsHigh2,$b1)
+ nth($charsHigh2,$b2)
+ nth($charsHigh2,$b3)
+ nth($charsHigh2,$b4));
}
.#{$p1}#{$p2}#{$p3}:hover {
border: 1px solid #000000;
text-align: center;
background-color: white;
color: unquote(nth($firstCharsLight,$rr)

Thanks!
Steve