Debian package maintainer 'dartlang'

Dimitri Torterat

Feb 28, 2014, 5:06:06 AM2/28/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Greetings!

I am Dimitri Torterat (mostly known as Diti and @DitiPenguin), a French 23-year old student at school 42 in Paris, sysop at fr.wikipedia.org, and, most importantly, a Debian GNU/Linux user (both on laptop and dedicated server). I am posting here because there is no Debian package for dartlang.

I could be one of the package maintainers (as I use Dart for nearly every project of mine, I want to stay up-to-date). Additionally, perhaps the Dart team could have a read at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/distribute-deb/distribute-deb.html in case they would like to save the workload of package maintainers.

I can think of two advantages of including dartlang to the Debian package system:

1. Users who would like to write server-side (shell) scripts in Dart, and make such scripts into a Debian package, could benefit of having dartlang as a dependency; that is, any user installing my-great-dart-app could do so without hassle, because the Dart VM would be downloaded/updated/etc. alongside.

2. Hosting services relying on Debian (for instance, Heroku's "bamboo" stack, or any dedicated server running Debian for that matter) would benefit from using the Debian package system, because that's the standard way on this OS to install, upgrade, manage and uninstall binaries and/or sources.

Would you have interest in that? I am looking forward to hearing your opinion. Thank you for your attention!

William Hesse

Feb 28, 2014, 11:19:22 AM2/28/14
to General Dart Discussion
Other people should reply in more detail, but we have just started making a Debian package that is a tarball of all the source, including third-party dependencies.

Please look at what the builder
, on the page

This may help give you a start.  We definitely are interested in Dart on Debian.

William Hesse

Dimitri Torterat

Feb 28, 2014, 12:59:11 PM2/28/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Thank you for your interest in this issue. :)

I would be interested in seeing the result of the builds, but it seems like the link is not valid for unauthenticated people! (I get a 404.)

William Hesse

Feb 28, 2014, 6:15:26 PM2/28/14
to General Dart Discussion
Sorry, the correct links to follow are

for the FYI dart buildbot, and

for the source tarball builds.

These links should lead you to a Debian package containing the source for Dart, including third-party code.

Daniele Scasciafratte

Jun 3, 2014, 6:32:23 PM6/3/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Any news about this?
I'm a new fan of this language but a deb package would be really helpful :-D

Dimitri Torterat (Diti)

Jun 3, 2014, 9:30:26 PM6/3/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
I've regularly tried to build Dart with their buildbot's subversion repositories, but no huge success so far, even manually.
Still, from what I've seen, the actual Debian packaging is done in a good way. I guess the best thing would be to wait until Dart gets standardized; perhaps proper Debian packages will be provided, helping other maintainers!

Please accept my apologies for the slowness of the process. I am not used to Google's (Chromium's) build tools in use in Dart!

― Dimitri Torterat – Diti

Martin Kustermann

Jun 3, 2014, 9:51:16 PM6/3/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
We've started to build debian packages on our buildbots. You can find them here:

My current knowledge is that we build these inside a debian wheezy chroot to make sure that the dart executable runs with an old version of glibc.

Daniele Scasciafratte

Jun 4, 2014, 3:53:09 AM6/4/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Thanks guys!
Very useful, the editor with the other tools are provided in other packages?

Martin Kustermann

Jun 4, 2014, 4:23:51 AM6/4/14
to mi...@dartlang.org, Søren Gjesse
[+sgjesse]

AFAIK we currently don't build deb packages for the DartEditor. I'm not sure how high the interest is for this. I would (naively) assume that
- users are mostly developing on other distributions (in particular ubuntu)
- this would require more effort than the plain SDK deb file, since the editor depends on quite a number of third-party dependencies.

There has been high interest in getting deb packages for the SDK, since many people would like to host server-side dart apps in the cloud, and some cloud providers offer only debian.

Daniele Scasciafratte

Jun 4, 2014, 4:26:46 AM6/4/14
to mi...@dartlang.org, sgj...@google.com
For me you can transform the official zip in a deb package, in this way the tools are integrated in the system and the editor exist in the menu.