Re-starting programming, using Dart ...

Mayuresh Kathe

May 7, 2015, 2:06:58 PM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Hi,

I have been away from software development for close to 8 years now.

In the interim, I have managed to only keep in touch with various changes by way of just fiddling by way of code snippets.

On deciding to return to programming as a full-time career option, I managed to fall in love with Dart, and managed to write two (broken) code snippets;
https://dartpad.dartlang.org/28291051278222094618 which was bad because Kasper Lund showed me how it's actually done in Dart;
and my second snippet;
https://dartpad.dartlang.org/63f2d73dfa5d7faaeb09 which too is probably in the wrong vein of doing things using Dart.

I do remember the basic constructs, and hence figured that Seth Ladd and Kathy Walrath's book followed by the one by Gilad Bracha might be a good way forward for me, but, if there's a better path, would like to know about it.

At the moment, brushing up on Mathematics (elementary and discrete), CS theory and OOP theory.

I would appreciate any help by way of suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks,

~Mayuresh

Harry Terkelsen

May 7, 2015, 2:22:34 PM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Your FizzBuzz looks fine to me. I have not read Gilad's book, but "Up and Running" was a nice intro to the language. Personally, I think the best way to learn is to find an interesting Dart project on GitHub, assign yourself to an issue, and try to fix it.

Cristian Garcia

May 7, 2015, 2:26:32 PM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I dont know, Dart feels like a simplified version of C#, learning is very easy, documentation is great. With 8 years of experience you should have no problem just reading the docs and official tutorials out there.

Jim Trainor

May 7, 2015, 2:27:57 PM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Investigate the aspects of Dart programming that may have fallen outside you prior experience. e.g. If you were developing Java before then Dart's functional aspects, and support for mix-in may be new.

Mayuresh Kathe

May 7, 2015, 11:31:57 PM5/7/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Actually, I have close to 24 years of experience, just that I have _not_ coded "full-time" in close to 8 years because I was dragged into management roles (due to seniority). Hated every moment of the management track, and hence took the conscious decision to move back to programming full-time.

Dart feels like intriguing, especially because of it's haunting similarity with Smalltalk and Self. Both environments and languages I loved, but couldn't work in commercially because of lack of opportunities, figured, Dart, with it's support and blessings from Google would be an ideal programming language to work with now on.

Thomas Schranz

May 8, 2015, 12:04:29 AM5/8/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
I found the style guide(s) very enlightening:

(nudge: I wish there was a talk about idiomatic Dart on the next summit)

Thomas Schranz

May 8, 2015, 12:05:48 AM5/8/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

Bob Nystrom

May 8, 2015, 12:16:43 PM5/8/15
to General Dart Discussion

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Thomas Schranz <tho...@blossom.io> wrote:

(nudge: I wish there was a talk about idiomatic Dart on the next summit)

But that would cut into my MC duties!

- bob

Vadim Tsushko

May 8, 2015, 3:46:28 PM5/8/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

пятница, 8 мая 2015 г., 21:16:43 UTC+5 пользователь Bob написал:

But that would cut into my MC duties!

- bob

I have to say this somewhere - you were very good with these duties on summit. And generally - thank you very much for your work with community. It does make a difference somehow.

Bob Nystrom

May 8, 2015, 4:00:39 PM5/8/15
to General Dart Discussion

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Vadim Tsushko <vadimt...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have to say this somewhere - you were very good with these duties on summit. And generally - thank you very much for your work with community. It does make a difference somehow.

\o/

- bob