Dart embedded web search doesn't find substrings (only API popup search does)

Rupert Key

Sep 19, 2012, 8:52:57 AM9/19/12
to General Dart Discussion
Hi,

Is the following a docs search bug or user expectation error?

TL;DR Dart search page's "API only" doesn't find substrings (whereas popup incremental "Dart API Reference" does).  E.g. searching for "smoothing" fails to find "webkitImageSmoothingEnabled".  Howerver, the popup's "+ N more." takes you to the page that doesn't!

The rest of this e-mail is my steps to show user process in case it reveals anything useful / wrong :-)

Having read about "mozImageSmoothingEnabled" on MozDev I wanted to check and set from Dart.

I went to http://api.dartlang.org/docs/continuous/ and typed "smooth".  Pop-up results include "webkitImageSmoothingEnabled" near the bottom and "+ 6 more."  So, thinking there might be a non-webkit-prefixed version, I press up arrow and to do a general search and see all results.  This shows the "ALL" page which is mostly irrelevant stuff so I select "API docs only" to see API calls.  That's where I'm confused.  No mention of "webkitImageSmoothingEnabled" -- only 1 hit in Animation.html.

I tried asterisks or ".*" on both sides in case file-glob or regex patterns used.  Nope.
If one explicitly enters "webkitImageSmoothingEnabled" into the search all box, it works.

Thanks & HTH, Rupert.

p.s. I'm proceeding forward assuming "webkitImageSmoothingEnabled" will apply to the "moz" prefix version.  Fair?

Bob Nystrom

Sep 28, 2012, 1:08:12 PM9/28/12
to mi...@dartlang.org
Looks like this post may have fallen through the cracks.

I think the issue here is that the client-side auto-complete search is a different code base than the submitted search. But it would certainly be more usable if the two were more closely aligned. If you haven't already, can you file a bug for this?

p.s. I'm proceeding forward assuming "webkitImageSmoothingEnabled" will apply to the "moz" prefix version.  Fair?

I think the more likely path is that "imageSmoothingEnabled" will polyfill to the appropriate webkit or moz, but it's likely we haven't implemented that polyfill yet. Want to file a bug so we don't forget?

Thanks!

- bob

Rupert Key

Sep 28, 2012, 1:27:10 PM9/28/12