BREAKING CHANGE: dart2js select "Client" libraries by default

Peter Ahé

Feb 5, 2013, 8:09:36 AM2/5/13
to General Dart Discussion
A few weeks ago, I submitted a change to dart2js which made it into
0.3.2.0. At the time, I didn't realize that this option would impact
our users.

Unfortunately, I forgot about the Dart to Dart use case, that is,
option "--output-type=dart". If you use this option and import, for
example, 'dart:io', you need to pass option "--categories=Server" to
dart2js as well.

I apologize for breaking users of "--output-type=dart" without warning
and with a cryptic error message. Had I realized this, I would have
provided a better error message.

Cheers,
Peter

Ladislav Thon

Feb 5, 2013, 8:13:23 AM2/5/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Oh, we discussed this with Seth just last week on IRC. I thought that dart2js didn't support dart:io just yet -- glad to be proven wrong! Haven't heard of "categories" before, BTW.

LT

Seth Ladd

Feb 6, 2013, 6:37:29 PM2/6/13
to General Dart Discussion
Thanks, Peter, it's cool to see this working again.

Where did the word "categories" come from? That's new to me. :) Who defines a category? I see there is Client and Server, what exactly is contained in those categories? Will there be more of them?

Thanks for any perspective or background!
Seth

--
Consider asking HOWTO questions at Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/tags/dart

Peter Ahé

Feb 13, 2013, 7:14:13 AM2/13/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Sorry for not responding sooner, I blame it on the reply-to header on
mi...@dartlang.org.

The term "category" is used here:

https://code.google.com/p/dart/source/browse/branches/bleeding_edge/dart/sdk/lib/_internal/libraries.dart?spec=svn18439&r=18344#151

Cheers,