Preview the new package site!

Kevin Moore

Dec 4, 2017, 2:42:42 PM12/4/17
to Dart Misc
We're getting ready to ship a major update to the pub site and we'd love your feedback!
  • Packages are now categorized by platform. Know if a package is likely to work on Flutter or web before you install it.
  • We analyze package health and popularity to show you the best packages
  • We've updated our underlying infrastructure to allow new features to be added quickly.

If you find issues, please use the "Report an issue" link at the bottom of the page.

Let us know what you think!

> Kevin

Jonathan Rezende

Dec 4, 2017, 2:56:04 PM12/4/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
nice!

---

Jonathan Rezende

Joel Trottier-Hébert

Dec 4, 2017, 2:58:09 PM12/4/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
Great work. Thanks!

Anatoly Pulyaevskiy

Dec 4, 2017, 3:30:30 PM12/4/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
This looks amazing!

Really like the new analysis and ranking system.

Some feedback which I’ve noticed some time ago: packages which rely on NodeJS as a runtime, like the ones I created (node_interop, firebase_functions_interop) are categorized under Web which is not entirely true.

I realize though that this is a part of a larger problem: Node is not defined as anything in Dart ecosystem. However it can be, for instance, a distinct “platform” or “runtime”.

The “test” package already identifies Node as a platform, btw (we can pub run test -p node).

Tobe Osakwe

Dec 4, 2017, 3:33:45 PM12/4/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
Really liking this. Great work!

Kevin Moore

Dec 4, 2017, 3:49:15 PM12/4/17
to Dart Misc
Anatoly: please use the "report an issue" link at the bottom of https://pub.dartlang.org/experimental/packages/node_interop to mention the "web" platform issue. We know about it. It's a bit of a weird place

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dart Misc" group.

Samuel Schwebel

Dec 4, 2017, 3:49:38 PM12/4/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
Great work... Health and popularity are very nice information.

Just a suggest. I think that would be interesting agroup packages related into a unique group name/project. Could be easier to find all packages related and understand the purpose as a whole.

Example:

Group name/project: Shelf
Packages related: shelf, shelf_auth, shelf_route, etc.

Group name/project: Angular
Packages related: angular, angular_components, angular_form, etc.

Samuel.

Kevin Moore

Dec 4, 2017, 3:50:18 PM12/4/17
to Dart Misc
Please file a feature request, Samuel!

We've talk about this type of thing a bit. Would be good to track

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dart Misc" group.

Istvan Soos

Dec 4, 2017, 3:53:48 PM12/4/17
to General Dart Discussion
Hi Samual,

Until grouping happens, you can filter your searches by package
prefix. Add `package:shelf` to the query, like here:
https://pub.dartlang.org/experimental/packages?q=package%3Ashelf

A few more here: https://pub.dartlang.org/experimental/help#search

Cheers,
Istvan

Marcello Dias

Dec 4, 2017, 3:58:32 PM12/4/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
Well, for me, knowing that SqlJocky and polymer.dart,are outdated does not help much.
I would prefer to have google teams working on the subject.

Marcello

Kevin Moore

Dec 4, 2017, 4:37:04 PM12/4/17
to Dart Misc
Understood, Marcello. We're super focused on our end-to-end stacks: Flutter and AngularDart.

We love that the community is running with other things.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dart Misc" group.

aggi...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2017, 11:58:08 AM12/9/17
to mi...@dartlang.org
Kevin Moore:
"likely to work on" Flutter, web, server

I assume it is up to the package's team to dictate that. So for a package tied to Polymer, all it means is that it is unlikely to work on angular or flutter applications? Not that it will not work with those platforms?

Just trying to understand if the meaning of the categories is a hard rule, a recommendation, or a "we think it only works on this".

Istvan Soos

Dec 9, 2017, 12:23:14 PM12/9/17
to General Dart Discussion
These are not always hard rules, and I wouldn't call them
recommendations either, Kevin's phrase of "is likely to work" is the
most precise one.

There are clearcut cases where you can be 100% sure that something
won't run on a given platform (e.g. using dart:mirrors and Flutter).
There are also indications when something is specific to a platform
(e.g. dart:html and web). We also have special cases, where you may
import 'package:http', which depends on 'dart:io', but still allows
you to use the library on the web.

All of this is tracked through transitive dependencies, separately
decided for each library, and then aggregated to the package level.
The thing gets a bit more complex with packages with multiple
libraries which may target different platforms.

If you don't agree with the categorization, please file an issue and
we will refine the analysis if it is a bug in the classification.

Cheers,
Istvan