How do you guys deploy Dart to Google Compute Engine instances?

Thomas Løcke

Jul 29, 2014, 9:53:11 AM7/29/14
to cl...@dartlang.org
I'm somewhat tired of not being able to spin up a Compute Instance and just drop the latest stable Dart on the machine. The whole glibc issue is pretty annoying.

How do you guys handle it? Do you actually compile Dart on your own, or do you have some sort of secret Debian Dart package build script that does some library mix-match-magic?

I wish the Google Cloud Platform people would go ahead and add Ubuntu 14.04 LTS server to the mix.  :o)

Seth Ladd

Jul 29, 2014, 11:00:47 AM7/29/14
to Thomas Løcke, cl...@dartlang.org

Have you tried to use docker? That seems like a good way to do it. I saw https://github.com/dart-lang/dart_docker but it looks empty?

Martin Kustermann

Jul 29, 2014, 12:12:48 PM7/29/14
to Seth Ladd, Thomas Løcke, cl...@dartlang.org
Hi Thomas,

We provide *deb files to install. The link is a bit hidden / hard to find on dartlang.org. But you can find the latest stable version from here (latest dev build is available here).

These deb files are being built on debian and don't have the glibc issue.

After downloading & "dpkg -i dart_1.5.3-1_amd64.deb" you have /usr/bin/dart (a symlink) and the whole dart-sdkin /usr/lib/dart.

When creating a new instance you can specify startup scripts -- which could do this for you. Docker is another option. You can see an example Dockerfile here.

@Seth:
The CL for the dart Dockerfiles is up for review and currently pending: See here.

Thomas Løcke

Jul 29, 2014, 12:21:43 PM7/29/14
to cl...@dartlang.org, seth...@google.com, thomas....@gmail.com
Hi Martin,

Den tirsdag den 29. juli 2014 18.12.48 UTC+2 skrev Martin Kustermann:
Hi Thomas,

We provide *deb files to install. The link is a bit hidden / hard to find on dartlang.org. But you can find the latest stable version from here (latest dev build is available here).

These deb files are being built on debian and don't have the glibc issue.

This is awesome! I can't believe I haven't seen these packages before - they are not that hidden.

Thanks a bunch. :o)

Thomas Løcke

Jul 29, 2014, 12:23:47 PM7/29/14
to cl...@dartlang.org, thomas....@gmail.com
Hey Seth,

Den tirsdag den 29. juli 2014 17.00.47 UTC+2 skrev Seth Ladd:

Have you tried to use docker? That seems like a good way to do it. I saw https://github.com/dart-lang/dart_docker but it looks empty

Docker is cool, but for my needs it's just yet another piece of technology that can fail. But yeat, it seems like something I'm going to have to learn sooner or later.

Kevin Moore

Jul 29, 2014, 12:24:15 PM7/29/14
to Thomas Løcke, cl...@dartlang.org
This may also be helpful: https://github.com/kevmoo/docker-dart-sample

See the readme

David Notik

Aug 1, 2014, 4:36:24 PM8/1/14
to Kevin Moore, Thomas Løcke, cl...@dartlang.org
Hi all.

Running on GCE, a Debian instance as described by Martin: http://107.178.211.95/

I had it working for a moment, but now I get:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'element' of undefined    prototype.js:205

It's currently pub built w/ --mode="debug"

Also, perhaps it's just me and some Chrome extension, but anyone else see some presto_content.js crap? http://d.pr/i/LEro

--D

--
Woven
http://woven.co

Günter Zöchbauer

Aug 1, 2014, 5:28:49 PM8/1/14
to cl...@dartlang.org, kev...@google.com, thomas....@gmail.com
Maybe you just did a `pub upgrade`?
AFAIR there were a discussion recently about this bug but should already be fixes but I don't know if has laded in Polymer.Dart or if the fix is contained in any release.
I have not time just yet to research therefor just some thoughts ...

Martin Kustermann

Aug 4, 2014, 6:58:51 AM8/4/14
to Günter Zöchbauer, cl...@dartlang.org, Kevin Moore, Thomas Løcke
This looks like a client-side issue. Maybe you can bring that issue up on the web mailing list -- client side / polymer / angular experts are more active there.