polymer.dart 0.15.0 release

Jacob Macdonald

Sep 25, 2014, 1:17:46 PM9/25/14
to w...@dartlang.org
Today we pushed a new release of polymer and it's related packages, which brings us up to date with the most recent polymer js version (0.4.1). There were no breaking changes other than a few methods being added, so most projects should be able to update without making any modifications.

There are two main highlights of this release:

* In a slight departure from polymer js, we are using the new `waitingFor` method to monitor the element registration queue. If it remains stagnant for over 1 second then we will start printing alerts to the console. This should assist in debugging one of the most common `white screen of death` scenarios (forgetting to annotate your class with @CustomTag, or forgetting to include your dart script in your html).

* The injectBoundHTML method was added. This allows you to easily inject html that is bound to the current element inside of any other element.

Enjoy!

The polymer.dart team

jolleekin

Sep 26, 2014, 10:56:48 AM9/26/14
to w...@dartlang.org
It should be injectBoundHtml rather than injectBoundHTML. The naming conventions do matter.

michael.haubenwallner

Sep 27, 2014, 1:32:30 PM9/27/14
to w...@dartlang.org
A few things seem to be out of sync:

  points to polymer-0.12.1
- the polymer README file says
  dependencies:
  polymer: ">=0.12.0 <0.13.0"
  and links to a deprecated Dart Web UI mailing list and a Web UI development list

Siggi Cherem

Sep 29, 2014, 5:24:08 PM9/29/14
to w...@dartlang.org
Good point - we'll release a new version soon with the correct spelling and a deprecation for the old one.

We wanted to highlight that this feature should be used very carefully. The html string you pass in is technically allowed to have bindings, however, those bindings are not visible to the polymer transformers, and that could make your app fail after we built it (even if it works initially in Dartium).

To make sure that your app works, you'll need to help the polymer transformers figure out what to do. For example, you could add the same bindings somewhere else in a template of a custom element, or define a @ComputedProperty using the binding expression in it. This is similar to the problems that come up if you add nodes and bindings dynamically in the shadow of a polymer element (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24203830, for example).