content_shell on Linux

Adriano

Dec 19, 2014, 11:50:07 AM12/19/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation as to why no "dartium" package exists in the Debian/Ubuntu repository, but I'm curious if anyone could explain the reasoning behind that decision. Similarly, it is odd that there should be a Homebrew Dartium package--which includes content_shell--and none for Debian/Ubuntu where Continuous Integration is more likely to occur. The content shell is a critical component of continuous integration and thus a critical aspect of building high-quality Dart code.

As far as I'm aware, the standard way to get content_shell on Linux is to download Dart Editor (unintuitive) and using download_contentshell.sh. Of course, one could download it directly from

http://dartlang.org/editor/update/channels/stable/${DART_VERSION_NUM}/dartium/content_shell-linux-x64-release.zip, but how many people know the Dart version number? In any case, the whole process makes content_shell feel like a second-rate citizen and I think there is room for improvement.

Dan Grove

Dec 19, 2014, 12:13:30 PM12/19/14
to General Dart Discussion
These are good points - can you please file a bug for this?

Adriano

Dec 19, 2014, 3:04:54 PM12/19/14
to mi...@dartlang.org