Any progress with the template framework/utility?

Alexander Orlov

May 9, 2012, 7:57:33 AM5/9/12
to mi...@dartlang.org
I couldn't find the author of the "template" utility on G+ but I'd really like to see some updates about the progress resp. info in which direction the template framework is going to evolve.

How do you guys work with HTML? I mean creating the DOM imperatively is just insane in the long run. Personally I try to group my HTML fragments using Element.html(""" <a lot of HTML code> """); but that's just a preliminary solution.

Ruudjah

May 9, 2012, 1:45:35 PM5/9/12
to General Dart Discussion
^^

http://blog.sethladd.com/2012/03/first-look-at-darts-html-template.html

Last time I asked, above link was pretty much solid. Not Rocky, but
along the lines of "no significant changes".

Ruud

On May 9, 1:57 pm, Alexander Orlov <alexander.or...@loxal.net> wrote:
> I couldn't find the author of the "template" utility on G+ but I'd really
> like to see some updates about the progress resp. info in which direction
> the template framework is going to evolve.
>
> How do you guys work with HTML? I mean creating the DOM imperatively is
> just insane in the long run. Personally I try to group my HTML fragments
> using *Element.html(""" <a lot of HTML code> """); *but that's just
> a preliminary solution.

Dan Grove

May 9, 2012, 3:53:43 PM5/9/12
to Ruudjah, General Dart Discussion
Hi Alexander and Ruud-

We're not actively working on this at the moment, but we'd definitely love to see patches for things that you think are missing!

Alexander Orlov

May 9, 2012, 5:09:33 PM5/9/12
to mi...@dartlang.org, Ruudjah
It's good to know that you accept patches because it could also be that you guys have a concept of how this framework should look like and all patches would simply foil your vision and therefore would be likely rejected. So I hesitated to introduce any changes myself. At the moment the template code is broken (sample template conversion doesn't work) and has to be updated to reflect the Dart SDK/lib changes.

Is there a reason you've postponed the work on a template framework? Are there missing Dart features that have to be implemented first before one can start to create something reasonable in this area? Since I'm used to GWT's UiBinder, building the DOM myself (like I have to do it in Dart now) causes epileptic seizures... ;)

Alex

mythz

May 9, 2012, 6:39:22 PM5/9/12
to General Dart Discussion
I would definitely like to see more love/effort around HTML
templating, as Dart is positioned for web apps I naturally expected it
to be a critical part of the library.
If using this HTML templating lib is not how we should generate UIs
what is? Is there a new UI kit/lib on the horizon?

It would be nice to hear what the official Dart team thinks the best
UI strategy is for web apps?

On May 9, 5:09 pm, Alexander Orlov <alexander.or...@loxal.net> wrote:
> It's good to know that you accept patches because it could also be that you
> guys have a concept of how this framework should look like and all patches
> would simply foil your vision and therefore would be likely rejected. So I
> hesitated to introduce any changes myself. At the moment the template code
> is broken (sample template conversion doesn't work) and has to be updated
> to reflect the Dart SDK/lib changes.
>
> Is there a reason you've postponed the work on a template framework? Are
> there missing Dart features that have to be implemented first before one
> can start to create something reasonable in this area? Since I'm used to
> GWT's UiBinder, building the DOM myself (like I have to do it in Dart now)
> causes epileptic seizures... ;)
>
> Alex
>

> On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:53:43 PM UTC+2, Dan Grove wrote:
>
> > Hi Alexander and Ruud-
>
> > We're not actively working on this at the moment, but we'd definitely love
> > to see patches for things that you think are missing!
>
> > On Wed May 09 10:45:35 GMT-700 2012, Ruudjah <rti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> ^^
>
> >>http://blog.sethladd.com/2012/03/first-look-at-darts-html-template.html<https://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://blog.sethladd.com/2012/03/fi...>

Seth Ladd

May 9, 2012, 8:12:01 PM5/9/12
to mythz, General Dart Discussion
Hi,

Thanks for the questions. The template code was an initial option, but the team took a step back and said "how do we want to holistically solve this problem". Templates only solve one of the problems involved with engineering a full feature, high performance web app. The team is now brainstorming more sweeping solutions to the problem at hand.

That said, there are certainly use cases for a template lib, feel free to create some issues and attach patches. You might get started with http://code.google.com/p/dart/wiki/Contributing

I agree, Dart is about modern web apps, it's fully our intent to ship an app stack to help developers from all platforms build awesome modern web apps.

Seth

Alexander Orlov

May 10, 2012, 2:00:20 AM5/10/12
to mi...@dartlang.org, mythz

On Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:12:01 AM UTC+2, Seth Ladd wrote:
Thanks for the questions. The template code was an initial option, but the team took a step back and said "how do we want to holistically solve this problem". Templates only solve one of the problems involved with engineering a full feature, high performance web app. The team is now brainstorming more sweeping solutions to the problem at hand.

Something like this is exactly what we'd like to hear from time to time. Thanks a lot for this info! Maybe the UI team is investigating an actor based approach?
But to implement such a template lib would require the corresponding DOM isolate API.

Alex

Terry Lucas

May 14, 2012, 6:55:49 PM5/14/12
to Alexander Orlov, mi...@dartlang.org, Ruudjah
Alexander,

I just checked in some fixed to templates so that it runs again.  BTW, uitest.dart/html has a number of sample templates that all work as does the samples/calculator which uses templates and CSS inside of templates.

Terry.

Alexander Orlov

May 15, 2012, 4:50:45 AM5/15/12
to Terry Lucas, mi...@dartlang.org, Ruudjah
Terry,

I suppose the UI team want to go a new path once the API for DOM isolates has been implemented. I'll rather wait until they start their wok on an isolates based template approach. But this is just a speculation from my side as I've read:
Alex

Bob Nystrom

May 15, 2012, 12:56:02 PM5/15/12
to Alexander Orlov, Terry Lucas, mi...@dartlang.org, Ruudjah
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Alexander Orlov <alexand...@loxal.net> wrote:
Terry,

I suppose the UI team want to go a new path once the API for DOM isolates has been implemented. I'll rather wait until they start their wok on an isolates based template approach. But this is just a speculation from my side as I've read:

I don't know the details of the UI lib, but I believe it's not using isolates for anything particularly interesting, at least not right now.

- bob

Alexander Orlov

Jun 11, 2012, 9:15:26 AM6/11/12
to mi...@dartlang.org, Alexander Orlov, Ruudjah, Terry Lucas
I won't to appear impatient :) but is there a reason why dart/utils/template hasn't received any updates for over a month?

I'd like to implement a pager but won't to start a "my very own pager for my project" approach but integrate a generic pager into an up-to-date template framework/library. Also I'd like to actively work on a component based UI framework/lib. So I'm just looking for the last thoughts towards a component based UI approach for Dart as much has changed since the last template lib commit.

Alex

Seth Ladd

Jun 11, 2012, 4:47:45 PM6/11/12
to Alexander Orlov, mi...@dartlang.org, Ruudjah, Terry Lucas
Hi Alexander,

I think the team is weighing all the options here, so there hasn't been activity on that specific implementation. This is a very important part of the Dart project, and just like you I'm excited to see what happens here. In the meantime, keep poking at the language, libraries, and tools. We appreciate your support!

Seth

Daniel Davidson

Mar 8, 2013, 8:28:01 AM3/8/13
to mi...@dartlang.org, Alexander Orlov, Ruudjah, Terry Lucas
I'm new to dart... but any insight into the referred to templating solution? Maybe an update on the approach to "holistically solve this problem".
Thanks
Dan

Dan Grove

Mar 8, 2013, 11:13:28 AM3/8/13
to General Dart Discussion, Alexander Orlov, Ruudjah, Terry Lucas

--
Consider asking HOWTO questions at Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/tags/dart