Package Resolution Configuration file (.packages)?

Rich Eakin

Jul 29, 2015, 4:00:16 PM7/29/15
to General Dart Discussion
Just saw that the WebStorm 11 EAP up'ed their dart support, including a note saying "support for package resolution configuration file (.packages) introduced in Dart SDK 1.12". Is there any more information on what this .packages file is or does?

Thanks,
Rich

Harry Terkelsen

Jul 29, 2015, 4:16:52 PM7/29/15
to General Dart Discussion
It's a new way of resolving 'package:xxx' imports. The DEP is here: https://github.com/lrhn/dep-pkgspec/blob/master/DEP-pkgspec.md
It's mostly a tooling thing, so it should be a transparent change for most Dart users.

Bob Nystrom

Jul 29, 2015, 6:58:16 PM7/29/15
to General Dart Discussion

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM, 'Harry Terkelsen' via Dart Misc <mi...@dartlang.org> wrote:
It's mostly a tooling thing, so it should be a transparent change for most Dart users.

It will be very visible in that in a couple of releases (1.13?), all of those annoying "packages" directories no one ever liked will go away. :)

- bob

Kasper Peulen

Jul 29, 2015, 7:01:47 PM7/29/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Those packages directories are already gone for me in webstorm 11. It seems to do `pub get --no-package-symlinks` by default.

Kasper

Rich Eakin

Jul 30, 2015, 2:46:05 PM7/30/15
to General Dart Discussion
Oh, very cool - I like it.  Yes it was becoming tedious having to .gitignore all those package directories, happy there is a more robust solution.

cheers,
Rich