DEP meeting notes

Bob Nystrom

May 8, 2015, 2:04:09 PM5/8/15
to core...@dartlang.org, General Dart Discussion

Benjamin Strauß

May 8, 2015, 5:14:06 PM5/8/15
to core...@dartlang.org, mi...@dartlang.org
I do get really excited every time your notes go online. It is great to see the language evolve that way.

Bob Nystrom

May 8, 2015, 5:46:17 PM5/8/15
to Benjamin Strauß, core...@dartlang.org, General Dart Discussion

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Benjamin Strauß <benm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I do get really excited every time your notes go online. It is great to see the language evolve that way.

Thanks!

- bob

Thomas Schranz

May 8, 2015, 9:10:46 PM5/8/15
to mi...@dartlang.org, core...@dartlang.org, benm...@gmail.com
+1 super interesting write-up, thanks.

George Moschovitis

May 9, 2015, 12:32:03 AM5/9/15
to Bob Nystrom, core...@dartlang.org, General Dart Discussion
Macros, FTW ;-)

David Notik

May 9, 2015, 2:33:07 AM5/9/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
Fascinating stuff. Full speed ahead.

Really cool that package symlinks look like they'll be replaced with a cleaner approach come 1.11.

I found it very interesting how the community package uix (https://github.com/localvoid/uix/blob/master/README.md) makes clear how it would benefit from the metaclasses and configurable imports DEPs.

Excellent, thoughtful write ups and process by the way.

The present and future of Dart is bright.

Metronome

May 9, 2015, 3:12:09 AM5/9/15
to mi...@dartlang.org, core...@dartlang.org
Some good stuff there.  I was surprised to see that Dart doesn't already have generic methods and functions but it is good to know that this is being thought about.

Randal L. Schwartz

May 10, 2015, 2:44:11 PM5/10/15
to mi...@dartlang.org

Bob> https://github.com/dart-lang/dart_enhancement_proposals/blob/master/Meetings/2015-05-06%20DEP%20Committee%20Meeting.md

Had to chuckle when I got to the "Spaceship operator" section, since *I*
am the one who named that originally for Perl.

In writing, you can just get away with saying "the <=> operator", but
when teaching, I got really tired of saying "the less-than, equal,
greater-than operator", so I noticed it reminded me of the spaceship in
an old HP BASIC "star trek" game, so I started using that, and it caught
on, even finding its way into an error message, and thus becoming
official.

<mer...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig

Thomas Schranz

May 10, 2015, 4:51:46 PM5/10/15
to mi...@dartlang.org, mer...@stonehenge.com

Bob Nystrom

May 11, 2015, 12:24:37 PM5/11/15
to General Dart Discussion

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Randal L. Schwartz <mer...@stonehenge.com> wrote:
Had to chuckle when I got to the "Spaceship operator" section, since *I*
am the one who named that originally for Perl.

You can never escape your past!

- bob

Cogman

May 11, 2015, 1:55:37 PM5/11/15
to mi...@dartlang.org
@Metronome  IIRC it was excluded primarily because it isn't too hard to use dynamic variables instead in instances where you would want generics.  You do lose some type safety, but it isn't nearly as painful as to deal with as you may think.