Dart M2

Anders Sandholm

Dec 18, 2012, 11:58:26 AM12/18/12
to Public Dart List
We’re happy to announce the next milestone of the Dart project - M2. The bits for the editor and SDK are available at dartlang.org.

A few features you may like in this release:
  • Significantly smaller generated JavaScript from dart2js due to tree-shaking of the html libraries and general minification.  Tree-shaking is on by default. Minification requires the command line flag --minify.  As a result, the generated code for swarm is now only half the size compared to M1.
  • Support for uploading of user packages to pub.

The M3 release will focus on core library cleanup and the new streaming API for asynchronous communication.

We’re looking forward to your feedback and thanks for your support.

--
Anders Thorhauge Sandholm,
Product Manager, Google Denmark

Chris Buckett

Dec 18, 2012, 12:08:57 PM12/18/12
to mi...@dartlang.org
Well done everyone on the Dart team... :)

Seth Ladd

Dec 18, 2012, 12:10:51 PM12/18/12
to General Dart Discussion
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Anders Sandholm <sand...@google.com> wrote:
We’re happy to announce the next milestone of the Dart project - M2. The bits for the editor and SDK are available at dartlang.org.

A few features you may like in this release:
  • Significantly smaller generated JavaScript from dart2js due to tree-shaking of the html libraries and general minification.  Tree-shaking is on by default. Minification requires the command line flag --minify.  As a result, the generated code for swarm is now only half the size compared to M1.
  • Support for uploading of user packages to pub.

The M3 release will focus on core library cleanup and the new streaming API for asynchronous communication.

We’re looking forward to your feedback and thanks for your support.

If you're curious what else happened during M2, we put together a (non-exhaustive) list here: https://www.dartlang.org/articles/m2-whats-new/

Enjoy!

--
Anders Thorhauge Sandholm,
Product Manager, Google Denmark
CVR nr. 28 86 69 84

--
Consider asking HOWTO questions at Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/tags/dart

Christian Grobmeier

Dec 18, 2012, 1:31:09 PM12/18/12
to General Dart Discussion
Great write up Seth.

I like the fact Dart does compile to minimal JS now. It was actually something a few people I spoke to considered a blocker.
M2 is a big step forward, congratulations!

Cheers

George Moschovitis

Dec 18, 2012, 2:30:38 PM12/18/12
to mi...@dartlang.org