BREAKING CHANGE: dart:dom library will be deprecated on Wed, May 2

Pavel Podivilov

Apr 28, 2012, 11:18:24 AM4/28/12
to mi...@dartlang.org
We are deprecating dart:dom in favor of dart:html on Wed, May 2. Please make sure your code doesn't depend on dart:dom.
Let us know if you need some more time to switch over to dart:html.

BR,
Pavel Podivilov

Marcel Batista

Apr 28, 2012, 11:21:50 AM4/28/12
to Pavel Podivilov, mi...@dartlang.org
Wow!

Marcel Batista

Apr 28, 2012, 11:41:32 AM4/28/12
to Pavel Podivilov, mi...@dartlang.org
I'll need this fixed before that =|

Chris Buckett

Apr 28, 2012, 11:42:59 AM4/28/12
to General Dart Discussion
> We are deprecating

Just out of curiosity, is it on the radar to allow a way of allowing
graceful deprecation (like the @Deprecated annotation in Java), or
will the main way to deprecate an api to be just to remove bits of it
(in our own code, as well as the core libs?)

Cheers,
Chris.

Vijay Menon

Apr 28, 2012, 2:19:04 PM4/28/12
to Marcel Batista, Pavel Podivilov, mi...@dartlang.org
This should be fixed now.  Please let us know if there are any issues.

- Vijay

John Messerly

Apr 28, 2012, 2:29:37 PM4/28/12
to Chris Buckett, General Dart Discussion
+1, something like that would be really nice to have in the tools.

We are still in tech preview state, so for now I think folks prefer to just change APIs. But as we get further along a more graceful deprecation strategy will be necessary.

Cheers,
- John

Marcel Batista

Apr 28, 2012, 3:31:21 PM4/28/12
to John Messerly, Chris Buckett, General Dart Discussion
It's fixed! Thanks ;D

Ephramar Telog

Apr 28, 2012, 10:22:18 PM4/28/12
to Marcel Batista, John Messerly, Chris Buckett, General Dart Discussion
How I wish 'dart:html' would have expanded documentation for reference after 'dart:dom' depreciation :(

Bob Nystrom

May 2, 2012, 1:56:48 PM5/2/12
to Ephramar Telog, Marcel Batista, John Messerly, Chris Buckett, General Dart Discussion
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Ephramar Telog <qbp....@gmail.com> wrote:
How I wish 'dart:html' would have expanded documentation for reference after 'dart:dom' depreciation :(

We feel your pain. As someone personally who cares a lot about documentation, I really wish we had a nice set of comprehensive docs for dart:html.

At the same time, that's a pretty huge undertaking. The entire worldwide web community itself is only just now starting to get decent docs in shape for the JS DOM and they've had years. We are a relatively large team, but we can only do so much and right now there seem to be more critical issues.

- bob

Vijay Menon

May 2, 2012, 5:07:27 PM5/2/12
to Pavel Podivilov, mi...@dartlang.org
Just an update on this.  We've identified a few issues we want to fix before deprecating dart:dom.  You can follow (see blocking bugs) at:

http://code.google.com/p/dart/issues/detail?id=2777

We will not deprecate today, but we are on track to do this next week.  As Pavel said, if you're using dart:dom, please switch to dart:html.  If you run into problems with dart:html, please let us know.

thanks!

Vijay

Vijay Menon

May 14, 2012, 1:11:45 PM5/14/12
to Pavel Podivilov, mi...@dartlang.org
FYI: dart:dom has been deprecated and is no longer supported.  The bug below is closed.

Cheers,

Vijay