Dart 2.0?

Cogman

Apr 16, 2014, 11:28:53 AM4/16/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Any news, updates, etc about Dart 2.0?   After TC52 was formed I haven't heard a whole lot on what is going on. Are there still discussions or is this something that is delayed until dart is in chrome?

I'm craving some enums and generic functions ;)

Jacob Goodson

Apr 16, 2014, 11:36:29 AM4/16/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Time traveling debugger and interactive development(I will never stop mentioning these features)...

Filipe Morgado

Apr 16, 2014, 11:59:44 AM4/16/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Ecma Calendar

There is another meeting on 2014-05-01, in Aarhus Denmark.

The committee could be a little more communicative/transparent, IMO.
The future of Dart is indeed very blurry and the team/community seems very quite :/

Gilad Bracha

Apr 16, 2014, 1:51:41 PM4/16/14
to General Dart Discussion
So I thought I had sent out an update on TC52,  but I guess I didn't. We had the first meeting March 12th. I'm optimistic that the committee will approve the current Dart language spec as first version of the standard. That does NOT make Dart an ECMA standard yet - it then has to be voted on by ECMA's institutions. We think this will happen in June.

Our next meeting is May 1st, and we will discuss future steps, especially enums and deferred loading. If all goes well, these would make it into the next rev of the spec, which could be approved by December. If this sounds a bit slow - well that's because it is. The world of standards bodies is deliberative and has careful processes in place, and things take more time.  I'm not sure what version any of this will fall under - in my mind that would be 1.1 rather than 2.0; 2.0 would likely be something more ambitious, with features for async support, restrictions on mixins removed, solid reflection etc.  No timeline on any of these things right now.

A lot of the work in TC52 will be less exciting and involve cleaning up various ambiguities or errors in the spec.

I'll know more after the May meeting (I hope).

Cheers, Gilad

Cogman

Apr 16, 2014, 4:22:24 PM4/16/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
So the possible vote in June will be mostly to ratify dart as a standard as is. However, in May you are expecting to discuss future dart improvements which may be ratified by December.  Correct?

Good to know.

The only reason I'm saying Dart 2.0 is because we currently have Dart 1.3 being released :).  I get it, The dart Ecma standard is different from the dart version, it just might seem strange that Dart 1.7 implements Dart 1.1 features.

Gilad Bracha

Apr 16, 2014, 4:24:16 PM4/16/14
to General Dart Discussion
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Cogman <cog...@gmail.com> wrote:
So the possible vote in June will be mostly to ratify dart as a standard as is. However, in May you are expecting to discuss future dart improvements which may be ratified by December.  Correct?

Yes.

Good to know.

The only reason I'm saying Dart 2.0 is because we currently have Dart 1.3 being released :).  I get it, The dart Ecma standard is different from the dart version, it just might seem strange that Dart 1.7 implements Dart 1.1 features.

Yes, numbering is messy. The product's numbering and the standard's numbering are unlikely to match over time.

--
Cheers, Gilad

Dan Schultz

Apr 16, 2014, 11:51:20 PM4/16/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Does this mean we shouldn't expect deferred loading until after December? Or will some version of it make it into the VM and dart2js before then? There's some support for it now with the @lazy annotation, but dart2js only supports one external module which is very limiting.

Dan

Peter Ahé

Apr 17, 2014, 3:33:16 AM4/17/14
to mi...@dartlang.org, Sigurd Meldgaard
I believe Sigurd has removed most of the limitations on deferred loading from dart2js.

If it hasn't landed in 1.3 it should land in 1.4.

Cheers,
Peter

On Thursday, April 17, 2014, Dan Schultz <schult...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does this mean we shouldn't expect deferred loading until after December? Or will some version of it make it into the VM and dart2js before then? There's some support for it now with the @lazy annotation, but dart2js only supports one external module which is very limiting.

Dan

Cogman

Apr 17, 2014, 11:21:02 AM4/17/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Yes, numbering is messy. The product's numbering and the standard's numbering are unlikely to match over time.

Hmm, perhaps we should rename the standard dart implementation from "Dart" to "d9" or maybe "Ion gorilla" ;)  You know, just something to differentiate the two.