Stupid Question About Isolates

Richard Eng

Nov 19, 2014, 10:01:52 AM11/19/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
I expect isolates to perform extremely well in the Dart VM, but how well do they perform in the generated JS output? JS is not good at concurrency, even in Node.

Peter Ahé

Nov 19, 2014, 10:17:55 AM11/19/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
When compiling to JavaScript, we use Workers if they're available. Which I think they are on all supported browsers. The Try Dart site (https://try.dartlang.org/) is compiled to JavaScript and uses Isolate.spawnUri to create a concurrent isolate for compiling so the UI isn't blocked during compilation.

Cheers,
Peter