Dart Team Packages Moving to GitHub

Natalie Weizenbaum

Dec 18, 2014, 3:23:08 PM12/18/14
to General Dart Discussion
Hello, Dartisans!

I'm pretty thrilled to announce that we've finally started moving packages en masse out of the Dart Subversion repo and into their own GitHub repos. We're doing this for a number of reasons, but perhaps the most important is that it'll make it easier for you all to track what's going on with your favorite packages and contribute back to them.

So far, a number of polymer-related packages have moved out of the repo, as well as almost all of the packages maintained by Bob or myself, including barback, glob, http, json_rpc_2, oauth2, path, source_span, stack_trace, string_scanner, watcher, and yaml. These are all now officially developed on GitHub, and you can contribute to them via pull requests to your heart's content.

We're still in the process of moving more packages over. Ultimately almost everything in the pkg directory of the Dart repo will end up on GitHub, but if there's anything you want to see there sooner let us know!

- Natalie

Anders Holmgren

Dec 19, 2014, 1:48:38 AM12/19/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Great news

Jin Mingjian

Dec 19, 2014, 2:14:13 AM12/19/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Great! How about the vm and then all go into Github? Let's see which point we go ahead of "Go":)

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Anders Holmgren <andersm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great news

Oliver

Dec 19, 2014, 3:14:10 AM12/19/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Nice!

Looking forward to shelf, I already have something I would like to extend.

Sean Eagan

Dec 19, 2014, 10:42:30 AM12/19/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Thanks for doing this!

I see the packages are pulled into the svn dart repo by explicit commit id's:

https://chromiumcodereview.appspot.com/785293004/

...rather than via normal pub version solving.  Presumably that is because they are used in the development of pub, so there is a bootstrapping problem.  A couple questions:

1)  Is/will there be a contributor's guide for the dart team packages?
2)  Will the dart-team-owned pacakges be able to depend on non-dart-team-owned packages, so long as they (and presumably all their transitive dependencies) adhere to certain quality standards?
3)  Is it conceivable for things in the dart svn repo (such as pub) to directly depend on non-dart-team-owned packages in the future as well?

Bob Nystrom

Dec 19, 2014, 12:16:02 PM12/19/14
to General Dart Discussion

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM, Jin Mingjian <jin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great! How about the vm and then all go into Github? Let's see which point we go ahead of "Go":)

The VM is up to the VM team, but I think many people on the Dart team intend to move their various pieces to GitHub over time. It's non-trivial to do because our testing infrastructure was until very recently not set up for that, but as this shows, we're getting there. :)

- bob

Bob Nystrom

Dec 19, 2014, 12:20:23 PM12/19/14
to General Dart Discussion
On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Sean Eagan <seane...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see the packages are pulled into the svn dart repo by explicit commit id's:

https://chromiumcodereview.appspot.com/785293004/

...rather than via normal pub version solving.  Presumably that is because they are used in the development of pub, so there is a bootstrapping problem.  A couple questions:

Yeah, pretty much. gclient sync brings in those dependencies from Git, and that step is run before anything has been built, which means it naturally can't invoke pub.

1)  Is/will there be a contributor's guide for the dart team packages?

Good question! I'm not aware of a concrete plan to have some formal team-wide documentation about this, but I think we'll end up with something along these lines eventually. Right now, it's pretty informal and we're letting different package maintainers experiment a bit to see what process works best for our users and us.

The simplest answer if you want to contribute is just send a little email to someone who recently committed to that package and ask. :)

2)  Will the dart-team-owned pacakges be able to depend on non-dart-team-owned packages, so long as they (and presumably all their transitive dependencies) adhere to certain quality standards?

I think so. I believe there may already be cases of that. If I recall, docgen depends on markdown, which we no longer maintain. Don't hold me to this, though. Questions like this are above my pay grade.

3)  Is it conceivable for things in the dart svn repo (such as pub) to directly depend on non-dart-team-owned packages in the future as well?

A better question might be, "Are we moving pub and other stuff in the repo onto GitHub?" My goal is to answer "yes" for as many pieces as I can. It's tricky untangling some of this stuff, but I personally really want to see more of our stuff out of the repo and on GitHub.

Cheers!

- bob

Message has been deleted

Bob Nystrom

Dec 29, 2014, 11:54:26 AM12/29/14
to General Dart Discussion

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 4:22 AM, Ahmet A. Akın <ahm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there a way to watch the activity of all projects under github.com/dart-lang?

I poked around a bit, and I couldn't find any easy way to do this. :-/

- bob

Ron Gonzalez Lobo

Dec 29, 2014, 12:27:12 PM12/29/14
Great to hear!

Just took a quick look and want to raise a question about document style of dart?

Is there anything like PHPDOC or JAVADOC for Dart?

E.g.:

/**
     * @description Attempt to confirm account with code
     *
     * @param  string $code
     *
     * @return  Illuminate\Http\Response
     */

This would be great for automatically create api documentations for Dart packages.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Knight