Sharing our experience: Quire: Building a Large Application with Dart

Simon Pai

Sep 9, 2014, 9:31:07 AM9/9/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Recently we have released Quire, a task manager web application which are mostly made of Dart, on both client side and server side. Here are some information and thoughts we learned from our development. :)

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8289886

Bob Nystrom

Sep 9, 2014, 12:20:43 PM9/9/14
to General Dart Discussion
Thanks for sharing that!

- bob

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Simon Pai <simo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Recently we have released Quire, a task manager web application which are mostly made of Dart, on both client side and server side. Here are some information and thoughts we learned from our development. :)

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8289886

Don Olmstead

Sep 9, 2014, 7:11:54 PM9/9/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
As someone who has been loving mixins with Polymer.dart what do you mean by immature? Just what the spec is now vs what Gilad wants to do to expand mixins, eg no constructor, inheritance etc?

Simon Pai

Sep 9, 2014, 9:48:26 PM9/9/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
That's pretty much sums it up. We do use mixins and they serve an important part in our app, but we are often hindered by the fact that mixin candidates must be a direct subclass of Object. Precisely speaking, these 2 issues bugs me the most:

http://dartbug.com/9589
http://dartbug.com/15101

Also we ran into quite a few issues about mixins when compiling with dart2js, especially right after SDK upgrades, which sometimes makes me wonder how many test cases do they have for mixins. Mixin is of the great parts of Dart, and I think it's even under-promoted. But I also really hope we can see Gilad's spec coming true sooner.

Simon