Re: [dart-misc] JRebel for Dart

Bob Nystrom

Aug 2, 2013, 4:10:12 PM8/2/13
to General Dart Discussion

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Jacob Goodson <submissio...@gmx.com> wrote:
Is there something like JRebel for Dart?  I know it is early to ask but I figured I would anyway.

If you're asking for the ability to hot-swap and replace code in a running Dart VM, no, we don't currently have anything along those lines, sorry.

When the mirror system is more fully fleshed out, it may support something along those lines, but that's a good ways out I think.

Cheers,

- bob

Gilad Bracha

Aug 5, 2013, 4:18:46 PM8/5/13
to General Dart Discussion
It has been our intent since day 1 to support the ability to change code on the fly in the development environment, including fix and continue debugging, evaluating code in any scope (e.g., object inspectors), changing the shape of a class and updating all instances in the live heap, changing the class hierarchy and all the other Smalltalk style stuff. Anything JRebel can do and more.

I am truly sorry this is taking so long, but the team's priorities are speed and size, and this functionality will take longer to materialize.

Cheers, Gilad

Traktor Toni

Aug 6, 2013, 8:58:40 AM8/6/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
How much longer do you estimate? In my opinion the future of programming is realtime programming, as in: on the fly programming. Currently javascript is closest to this goal, which in my opinion is the one true reason why it has become so successful despite all odds.

Gilad Bracha

Aug 6, 2013, 12:18:35 PM8/6/13
to General Dart Discussion
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 5:58 AM, Traktor Toni <trust...@gmail.com> wrote:
How much longer do you estimate?

We don't give time estimates. It won't be soon.

In my opinion the future of programming is realtime programming, as in: on the fly programming.

I agree this is very important. I've written and spoken about this many times. See my personal blog. It is the past and the future.

Currently javascript is closest to this goal,

Actually, Smalltalk is much better, and has been for a generation. Likewise Lisp machines, Self & Newspeak.

which in my opinion is the one true reason why it has become so successful despite all odds.

I won't speculate to avoid derailing this thread :-)

--
Cheers, Gilad

Jacob Goodson

Aug 7, 2013, 2:23:39 AM8/7/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Wow, thank you for that answer!  I cannot wait for such functionality to be implemented.  As to the other poster... I cannot fathom why javascript has gained the popularity that it has but it is no where near the state of the art in interactive programming(a state which is old(state of the art that is old? oxymoron?))  <-- lots of parenthesis, you may guess what language I like.