Sending Email

Pete

Oct 31, 2012, 9:57:08 AM10/31/12
to mi...@dartlang.org
Another question ...  How would I send an email from a Dart app?  Is this currently possible?

Ladislav Thon

Oct 31, 2012, 10:37:37 AM10/31/12
to mi...@dartlang.org

Another question ...  How would I send an email from a Dart app?  Is this currently possible?

I don't think that there is currently an e-mail library for Dart, so the answer to your question is probably no.

On the other hand, it is definitely doable -- you've got sockets, you can do everything :-)

LT

Pete

Oct 31, 2012, 10:43:20 AM10/31/12
to mi...@dartlang.org
Very true.  Just need to read up on SMTP :)

Matthew Butler

Oct 31, 2012, 11:29:19 AM10/31/12
to mi...@dartlang.org
Alternatively if you know the platform you'll be running from as well, you can also choose to spawn a process as well. Limited ability to distribute at that point but if its for your own system, that's always a quick and dirty option too.

Seth Ladd

Oct 31, 2012, 12:38:03 PM10/31/12
to mi...@dartlang.org
Thanks Matt. Another option for "quick and dirty" is to use one of the many outbound email services. They often have more simple REST apis. I know that Heroku partners with a bunch, and you can run Dart apps on Heroku. Outsourcing sending of email can help you sleep at night, not having to worry about spam filters, DoS attacks, etc. :)

--
Consider asking HOWTO questions at Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/tags/dart

Kai Sellgren

Jul 23, 2013, 7:48:46 PM7/23/13
to mi...@dartlang.org
Looks like this was asked again. This time on StackOverflow.

In case anyone here is interested in a solution, here's one: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17822578/sending-an-smtp-email-in-dart