Even Java is thinking about a repl...

Jacob Goodson

Sep 10, 2014, 9:37:57 PM9/10/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
I know what you are thinking, Java cannot think at all!  Ok, maybe not, but I bet you are thinking that interactivity in "the big boys" programming languages is finally getting some attention.  Anyway, here is the article I found about it http://www.javaworld.com/article/2601433/java-language/programmers-could-get-repl-in-official-java.html

Marcello Dias

Sep 11, 2014, 9:58:43 AM9/11/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
The big advantage of something new like Dart is that you can borrow the good ideas ,depracate the bad ones and inovate a little bit.
For me Dart is simpler,more scalable,do what should be done in the righ tier.
No way of "fixing" Java to compete with Dart,Java will be hard to Kill like Cobol is ,but it is old stuff,just it.

I know what you are thinking, Java cannot think at all!  Ok, maybe not, but I bet you are thinking that interactivity in "the big boys" programming languages is finally getting some attention.  Anyway, here is the article I found about it http://www.javaworld.com/article/2601433/java-language/programmers-could-get-repl-in-official-java.html

Cogman

Sep 11, 2014, 12:56:49 PM9/11/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
While a repl would be nice.  Dart already has a pretty good development environment which makes repl less of a necessity.  I don't have a long build process, I just hit refresh and get my changes almost instantly.  In contrast, java has a build which for me can often take a couple of minutes.

Jacob Goodson

Sep 11, 2014, 1:10:37 PM9/11/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Yes, I agree with that.  However, Dart could crush Java by becoming much more interactive.  Would it not be nice for people to say things like... "We need our language x to be as interactive as Dart!".  Dart could be the model to live up to as far as run time interactivity goes.  I am only telling people about Java's repl so that they know even Java is becoming more interactive.  I see Dart as the true Java, at least what Java was meant to be in its inception.  Java was meant to be a langauge that would run in the browser and on the server.  It is now being perceived as a predominatly server side language.  I doubt such perceptions of Java will be changing any time soon.

Bob Nystrom

Sep 12, 2014, 12:31:37 PM9/12/14
to General Dart Discussion

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Cogman <cog...@gmail.com> wrote:
While a repl would be nice.

Dart has a REPL (more or less)!

Try opening the console in Dartium and enter some Dart code.

- bob

Jacob Goodson

Sep 12, 2014, 3:28:40 PM9/12/14
to mi...@dartlang.org
Dart's repl is pathetic(I firmly believe it will get better), by any previous standards of achievement.  We should judge present/future tech by what has already been achieved; maybe well catch up to the past one day.