Web Design Update: November 15, 2023

Laura Carlson

Nov 15, 2023, 4:21:40 AM11/15/23
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 22, Issue 21, November 15, 2023.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 21 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: NAVIGATION.
09: USABILITY.
10: WEBWASTE & SUSTAINABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

How to Test 3.2.6 Consistent Help
By James Edwards.
@siblin...@mastodon.world
"This is the first in a series of articles, looking at how to test each of the new Success Criteria (SC) in WCAG 2.2. Success Criterion 3.2.6 Consistent Help is about the consistent placement of information that provides general help to users, including points of human contact, and automated help mechanisms…"
https://www.tpgi.com/how-to-test-3-2-6-consistent-help/

WCAG 2.2 Will Be a Part of EN 301 549 and With That a Part Of WAD and EAA
By Bogdan Cerovac.
"…EN 301 549 seems to be updating in 2025, according to work item schedule it may come in early 2026. Unless ETSI adds WCAG 2.2 sooner it seems that we will have to wait quite a long time…"
https://cerovac.com/a11y/2023/11/wcag-2-2-will-be-a-part-of-en-301-549-and-with-that-a-part-of-wad-and-eaa/

Øredev 2023: WCAGmire
By Adrian Roselli.
"Download a 5.3MB tagged PDF of my slides or try the embedded view if your browser displays PDF inline. I was invited Malmö, Sweden to present two talks at Øredev. Well, they asked me to do one but then suggested that hey, since I'm already there and stuff, how about another…"
https://adrianroselli.com/2023/11/oredev-2023-wcagmire.html

Captions
By Ellen Liebert and Rachael Bradley Montgomery.
"Captions are text versions of dialogue and important sounds that are displayed on the screen…"
https://www.ta11y.org/learning/topic?key=media.captioning

Lost in Translation: Tips for Multilingual Web Accessibility
By Ben Myers.
"Internationalization and localization efforts have a lot in common with web accessibility…"
https://benmyers.dev/blog/multilingual-web-accessibility/

Introduction to Alternative Text Tags (Video)
By WeCo.
"…This is designed to be a crash course in what alternative text does and how to create it and apply it so it's most effective for users who live with disabilities…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0BHOtC8-u0

Accessibility Training Will Not Save You
By Wendy Reid.
"…There is a lot that contributes to this problem, but I've tried to narrow it to three problems: Accessibility is not yet taken seriously as a technical specialization. Accessibility as a compliance exercise instead of an ongoing practice. Web developers don't know HTML anymore…It would take a whole other blog post to delve into the possible reasons why accessibility specialization and skills are as undervalued as they are in our industry. Ableism, sexism, capitalism… it goes on and on…"
https://www.reidmore.online/post/accessibility-training-will-not-save-you

Accessibility Annotation Kits Only Annotate
By Eric Bailey.
"An uncomfortable truth is that the vast majority of access-related issues are created in the design phase…"
https://ericwbailey.website/published/accessibility-annotation-kits-only-annotate/

Front End Devs Really Don't Understand Accessibility
By Chris Ferdinandi.
"…It's apparent from reading the comments that a lot of folks who do this simply don't know anything about accessibility…"
https://gomakethings.com/front-end-devs-really-dont-understand-accessibility/

Øredev 2023: Under-Engineered Patterns
By Adrian Roselli.
"Download a 2.6MB tagged PDF of my slides or try the embedded view if your browser displays PDF inline."
https://adrianroselli.com/2023/11/oredev-2023-under-engineered-patterns.html

Creating an Efficient iOS Accessibility Test Plan
By Chris McMeeking.
"One of the biggest objections to bringing Accessibility Testing to a development process is expense. This article was written to demonstrate it doesn't need too be that complicated…"
https://moba11y.com/blog/ios-accessibility-test-plan/

How Long Until Your Website Is Accessible?
By Karl Groves.
"…Accessibility professionals need to take a much more proactive role in fixing systems… The current state of the accessibility industry is one in which 'consultants' are in the business of delivering problems…We need to change the paradigm to one where we're delivering solutions. It is time that we start fixing the problems that we find."
https://karlgroves.com/how-long-until-your-website-is-accessible/

Legal Update: October 2023
By Ken Nakata.
"This month's feed was pretty slow even with the inclusion of legislative updates…"
https://convergeaccessibility.com/2023/11/06/legal-update-october-2023/

Disability Complaints Against Educational Institutions
By Thomas Logan.
"Learn how Office of Civil Rights complaint works using educational institutions as an example."
https://equalentry.com/accessibility-ocr-disability-complaints-educational-institutions/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Addressing Accessibility Concerns With Using Fluid Type
By Maxwell Barvian.
"The CSS clamp() function is often paired with viewport units for 'fluid' font sizing that scales the text up and down at different viewport sizes. As common as this technique is, several voices warn that it opens up situations where text can fail WCAG Success Criterion 1.4.4, which specifies that text should scale up to at least 200% when the user's browser reaches its 500% maximum zoom level. Max Barvian takes a deep look at the issue and offers ideas to help address it…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2023/11/addressing-accessibility-concerns-fluid-type/

Removing List Styles Without Affecting Semantics
By Manuel Matuzović.
"…I found a way of removing list styles without affecting semantics…"
https://www.matuzo.at/blog/2023/removing-list-styles-without-affecting-semantics

Semantic Inline Lists
By Chris Ferdinandi.
"Sometimes, you want an list to be displayed in a line (like a nav menu) rather than vertically…"
https://gomakethings.com/semantic-inline-lists/

Surprising Facts About New CSS Selectors
By Scott Vandehey.
"I went down a bit of a rabbit-hole recently learning about CSS Nesting, specifically regarding the new & selector…"
https://cloudfour.com/thinks/surprising-facts-about-new-css-selectors/

CSS Nesting is Here
By Michelle Barker.
"In case you missed it, nesting is now supported natively in CSS in all major browsers! Nesting is a popular feature of preprocessors like Sass and has been, in my opinion, on of the main reasons to keep using preprocessors. But with nesting supported natively, it might soon be time to consider dropping a preprocessor altogether…"
https://css-irl.info/css-nesting-is-here/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Personas vs. Analytics Segments (Video)
By Page Laubheimer.
"Avoid creating personas from analytics data alone. Personas are artifacts that aim to capture users' attitudes, goals, and pain points, aspects which analytics alone can't provide."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/personas-vs-analytics-segments/

Rating Scales in UX Research: The Ultimate Guide
By Mads Soegaard.
"…This comprehensive guide aims to shed light on the significance of the rating scales, demystify their nuances, and show you how to leverage their potential for invaluable insights…"
https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/rating-scales-for-ux-research

When to Use Remote or Laboratory-Based Usability Testing
By Nomensa.
"…we would like to explore when to use remote vs laboratory usability testing, to make informed decisions that best suit your research goals…"
https://www.nomensa.com/blog/when-to-use-remote-or-laboratory-based-usability-testing/

Should You Report Numbers or Percentages in Small-Sample Studies?
By Jeff Sauro and Jim Lewis.
"…As a UX researcher, you might have been exposed to the idea that you shouldn't report numbers or percentages when sample sizes are small. We hope this article has demonstrated that there are counterarguments to that assertion…"
https://measuringu.com/should-you-report-numbers-with-small-n/

+04: EVENTS.

Behind the Stream - How A11yTalks Creates Accessible Virtual Events
November 28, 2023.
Online
https://a11ytalks.com/posts/2023-NOV/

W3C's Accessible Platform Architectures
December 5, 2023.
Online and New York, New York, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ynyc/events/297215871/

Better by Design
March 25-26, 2024.
Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
https://betterbydesign.events/

ACM SIGUCCS 2023 Annual Conference
April 7-10, 2024.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://siguccs.org/Conference/2024/

Web4All 2024
May 13-14, 2024.
Singapore, Republic of Singapore.
https://www.w4a.info/2024/

+04: HTML.

HTML Web Components
By Jeremy Keith.
"Web components have been around for quite a while, but it feels like they're having a bit of a moment right now…"
https://adactio.com/journal/20618

Using Chrome's Accessibility Tree for Manual Testing of HTML and ARIA (Slides)
By Russ Weakley.
Russ' slides from IAAP Accessibility Considerations Mini-series.
https://intopia.github.io/accessibility-presentations/iaap-2023.html#/1

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Web Developers: Remarkably Untalented and Careless?
By Baldur Bjarnason.
"…I'd like to suggest that everybody in web dev point their dysfunctional novelty seeking (of which I suffer as well) in the direction of HTML and CSS. See how much can be done without JavaScript. It's a lot! Then look at writing more lightweight JavaScript that's layered on top of the HTML as enhancements…"
https://www.baldurbjarnason.com/2023/web-dev-untalented/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Can AI Help Boost Accessibility? These Researchers Tested It for Themselves
By Stefan Milne.
"Seven researchers at the University of Washington tested AI tools' utility for accessibility. Though researchers found cases in which the tools were helpful, they also found significant problems. AI-generated images such as these helped one researcher with aphantasia (an inability to visualize) interpret imagery from books and visualize concept sketches of crafts, yet other images perpetuated ableist biases…"
https://www.washington.edu/news/2023/11/02/ai-accessibility-chatgpt-midjourney-ableist/

+08: NAVIGATION.

Designing for Web: How to Make Hyperlinks for Accessibility (Video)
By Colleen Gratzer.
"In this accessibility video, Colleen Gratzer shows how to make hyperlinks readable by those using assistive devices…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJSJMfT-WaA

Everything About SEO is Obnoxious
By Chris Coyier.
"…the main reason for my ire is that it just plain wrecks the internet…"
https://chriscoyier.net/2023/11/08/everything-about-seo-is-obnoxious/

+09: USABILITY.

Images on Mobile (Video)
By Raluca Budiu.
"Decorative images should not be used on mobile, as they lengthen the page and make it load more slowly. Use images only if they add informational value to your page."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/mobile-images/

Cookie Permissions 101
By Samhita Tankala.
"Cookie permissions need to follow the law and strike the balance between respecting user privacy and being user-friendly."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/cookie-permissions/

+10: WEBWASTE & SUSTAINABILITY.

Web Sustainability Guidelines (Video)
By Talking Drupal.
"Today we are talking about the Web Sustainability Guidelines, How sustainability applies to the web, and how your website can be more sustainable with guests Mike Gifford and Andy Blum…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U__lto0FzBo&t=778

A Website's Carbon Footprint (Video)
By Talking Drupal.
"Today we are talking about A Website's Carbon Footprint with Gerry McGovern…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b5JmB7VINo&t=279

Introducing the Website Carbon Rating System
By Marketa Benisek.
"…We've been working with industry partners to evolve the methodology and are excited to announce that we have now introduced a new rating system to hopefully make the results even easier to understand"…"
https://www.wholegraindigital.com/blog/introducing-website-carbon-rating-system/

Why We Need a Green Perf Metric
By Brian Louis Ramirez.
"The Internet is the biggest machine ever built - and it has a huge impact on our environment. How can we as perf experts help make IT more sustainable? What would enable us to do more?…" Includes links to slides and video.
https://screenspan.net/talks/green-perf-metric/

The Nature of Digital Is Environmentally Destructive
By Gerry McGovern.
"…Think. Please think for a moment. What if our digital lifestyles are accelerating overconsumption? We don't need to change our technology. We need to change our attitudes."
https://www.gerrymcgovern.com/the-nature-of-digital-is-environmentally-destructive/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/accessibility.html

Association Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/associations.html

Book Listings.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/books.html

Cascading Style Sheets Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/css.html

Color Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/color.html

Drupal Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/drupal.html

Evaluation & Testing Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/testing.html

Event Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/events.html

HTML Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/html.html

Information Architecture Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/architecture.html

JavaScript Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/javascript.html

Miscellaneous Web Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/misc.html

Navigation Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/navigation.html

PHP Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/php.html

Sites & Blogs Listing.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/sites.html

https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/standards.html

Tool Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/tools.html

Typography Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/type.html

Usability Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/usability.html

WebWaste & Sustainability Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/webwaste.html

XML Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/xml.html

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/webdev_listserv.html

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN guideline information please visit:
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson