Web Design Update: October 1, 2020

Laura Carlson

Oct 1, 2020, 7:00:08 AM10/1/20

13: TYPOGRAPHY.
14: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

How Screen Readers Navigate Data Tables
By Léonie Watson.
"When a table is created using the appropriate HTML elements (or ARIA
roles) screen readers can inform users about the characteristics of
the table, and users have access to keyboard commands specifically for
navigating tabular content…"
https://tink.uk/how-screen-readers-navigate-data-tables/

Comica11y
By Paul Spencer.
"ComicA11y is an experiment that aims to achieve an all-inclusive
online comic reading experience. Because comics should be universal…"
https://comica11y.humaan.com/

New WCAG 2.2 Release Impacts 2021 Web Accessibility
By Essential Accessibility.
"The second update of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
since 2018 is expected to be published in November 2020…"
https://www.essentialaccessibility.com/blog/new-wcag-22-release-impacts-2021-web-accessibility

Gutenberg Accessibility Costs WordPress the W3C Work
By Adrian Roselli.
"…Studio24 cited accessibility as the deciding factor…"
https://adrianroselli.com/2020/09/gutenberg-accessibility-costs-wordpress-the-w3c-work.html

On Not Choosing WordPress for the W3C Redesign Project
By Simon R Jones.
"…For us, and the requirements from W3C, the delivery of accessible
HTML/CSS pages that meet user needs is the most important part of this
project - and where we are focussing our time…"
https://w3c.studio24.net/updates/on-not-choosing-wordpress/

W3C Is Prioritizing Accessibility Over Its Open Source Licensing Preferences
By Amanda Rush.
"…Until Gutenberg gets to a point where it's as easy to use as the
classic editor, (if it ever does), organizations who either employ or
want to employ people with disabilities are going to continue to drop
WordPress over it. And telling them to fork WordPress or to maintain
the classic editor plugin after WordPress stops doing that isn't a
solution to the problem. It's about the most obtuse thing that could
be said."
https://www.customerservant.com/w3c-is-prioritizing-accessibility-over-its-open-source-licensing-preferences-why-is-that-a-bad-thing-again/

The W3C Drops WordPress from Consideration
By Joe Dolson.
"…Gutenberg does not provide adequate accessibility for the
organization that defines standards for web site accessibility and the
accessibility of authoring tools. If we're looking at a small
organization, or an environment where you know exactly who is
administering or authoring within your admin environment, then yes -
WordPress offers an adequate level of accessibility, within a defined
set of parameters. For a large organization, and for this one in
specific, WordPress is in no way adequate…"
https://www.joedolson.com/2020/09/the-w3c-drops-wordpress-from-consideration/

Marketing Accessibility Based on Human Life Experiences
By Kim Krause Berg.
"Learn why inclusive web design trumps AI-based accessibility
remediation solutions and the importance of marketing with people -
not sales - in mind…"
https://www.searchenginejournal.com/marketing-accessibility-based-on-human-life-experiences/381605

It's Time To Escalate The Naming And Shaming Of Inaccessible Websites
By Gus Alexiou.
"Last week marked a watershed moment in the relatively short history
of the drive for universal web accessibility…"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gusalexiou/2020/09/28/its-time-to-escalate-the-naming-and-shaming-of-inaccessible-websites/

Burnet County Named in Complaint Over Elections Website Accessibility
By Alex Copeland.
"Burnet County was named in a systemic class complaint with the U.S.
Department of Justice on Sept. 4. The complaint was filed by the
advocacy group Disability Rights Texas (DRTx). It alleges that more
than 80 county election websites in Texas do not comply with federal
laws requiring the sites be accessible to people with disabilities…"
https://www.dailytrib.com/2020/09/14/burnet-county-named-in-suit-over-elections-website-accessibility/

RadioShack Sued for Alleged ADA Website Accessibility Violation
By Christina Tabacco.
"…Cindy Lucius filed an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
complaint against General Wireless Operations Inc., which does
business as RadioShack. The plaintiff brought the case seeking, among
other things, injunctive relief requiring RadioShack to make its
commercial website usable for the visually impaired…"
https://lawstreetmedia.com/tech/radioshack-sued-for-ada-website-accessibility-violation/

Industry Leading HR and Payroll Company, ADP, Sued for Discrimination
Against Blind Employees
By Disability Rights Advocates.
"On September 17,2020, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and
Visually Impaired (LightHouse) and two of its employees filed a
lawsuit against payroll processing and HR giant ADP for failing to
make its industry-leading products and services accessible to blind
managers and line staff…"
https://dralegal.org/press/industry-leading-hr-and-payroll-company-adp-sued-for-discrimination-against-blind-employees/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Writing Even More CSS with Accessibility in Mind (Video)
By Manuel Matuzović.
"If you love CSS, have a look at CSS Café - Online Meetup…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm8GAB5SF5c

Finding The Root Cause of a CSS Bug
By Ahmad Shadeed.
"…In this article, I will go through the process of fixing a bug from
the root and explore some common CSS issues and how fixing them from
the outside can result in more issues.…"
https://ishadeed.com/article/finding-the-root-cause/

Linearly Scale font-size with CSS clamp() Based on the Viewport
By Pedro Rodriguez.
"…we're going to explore a different way to linearly scale text
between a set of minimum and maximum sizes as the viewport's width
increases, with the intent of making its behavior at different screen
sizes more predictable - All in a single line of CSS, thanks to
clamp()…"
https://css-tricks.com/linearly-scale-font-size-with-css-clamp-based-on-the-viewport/

+03: COLOR.

Color Within Constraints
By Linzi Berry.
"A scalable color system for digital products…"
https://medium.com/tap-to-dismiss/color-within-constraints-d6f777a3b72d

Color Choices That are Accessible
By Manisha Gupta.
"…Color is a foundational element in any creative work. When I took
the challenge to design the Color Accessibility feature for Adobe
Color, it wasn't a linear path…"
https://blog.adobe.com/en/2020/09/16/color-choices-that-are-accessible.html

04: DRUPAL.

CMS Selection Report
By Marie Manandise.
…One name that kept cropping up in conversations is Drupal…The Drupal
community has made a commitment to accessibility since version 7 (it
is currently on version 9). We had initially not considered Drupal
because, from our experience with it, the complexity of its
configuration is a liability; even more so in large projects…Looking
at accessibility, although it has a good reputation and accessibility
is part of its development process, it is not fully accessible. To
make it meet the required standards would mean contributing to the
code (doing it ourselves), for which we don't currently have the
resources, or getting the community to work on it. Unfortunately, due
to the size of the Drupal community and the fact that it is
decentralised, this process would take a very long time…"
https://w3c.studio24.net/docs/cms-selection-report/#the-large-open-source-option

+05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

How to Code Errors in Unmoderated Studies
By Jeff Sauro and Jim Lewis.
"Errors can provide a lot of diagnostic information about the impacts
of UI problems on the user experience and their root causes…"
https://measuringu.com/error-coding-unmoderated/

Simplifying the UMUX-LITE
By Jeff Sauro and Jim Lewis.
"It seems like every few years a new standardized UX measure comes along.…"
https://measuringu.com/modified-umux-lite-usefulness-item/

+06: EVENTS.

UX Measurement Boot Camp
October 13-16, 2020.
Online
https://measuringu.com/events/ux-bootcamp-2020/

What's in the WCAG 2.2 Draft?
October 20, 2020.
Online
https://www.meetup.com/Nebraska-Digital-Accessibility-Meetup/events/273615021/

Closing The Gap
October 28-November 11, 2020.
Online
https://www.closingthegap.com/conference/

Disability Rights Advocates Virtual Gala
October 29, 2020.
Online
https://app.mobilecause.com/e/ucpeYA

Front-End Accessibility Masterclass
November 6-20, 2020.
Online
https://smashingconf.com/online-workshops/workshops/marcy-sutton-nov/

UX Conference November
November 9-20, 2020.
Online
https://www.nngroup.com/training/november/

World Usability Day
November 12, 2020.
Everywhere
https://worldusabilityday.org/

+07: HTML.

The Failed Promise of Web Components
By Lea Verou.
"Web Components had so much potential to empower HTML to do more, and
make web development more accessible to non-programmers and easier for
programmers. …"
https://lea.verou.me/2020/09/the-failed-promise-of-web-components/

How to Use HTML5 Sectioning Elements to Create Useful Accessible Landmarks
By Graham Armfield.
can have a positive impact on the accessibility of web pages, as
screen reader users can hear these elements being voiced as
'landmarks' within web pages, but only if they are used correctly…"
https://www.hassellinclusion.com/blog/html5-sectioning-elements-accessible-landmarks/

+08: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Content Inventory and Auditing 101
By Anna Kaley.
"A content inventory and audit are two important activities to
complete before developing a strategy to improve your digital content.
Conduct them together to set your content up for success."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/content-audits/

+09: JAVASCRIPT.

How ARIA fits in the Layers of Accessibility Technologies - Web Tech
Explained (Video)
By Eric Eggert.
"There are amultiple layers of accessibility technology. This video
gives a super broad overview on what they are and how they interact…"
https://yatil.net/videos/how-aria-fits-in-the-layers-of-accessibility-technologies/

The Difference Between aria-label and aria-labelledby
By Léonie Watson.
"The aria-label and aria-labelledby attributes do the same thing but
in different ways…"
https://tink.uk/the-difference-between-aria-label-and-aria-labelledby/

Accessible Routing in JavaScript Frameworks
By Mark Steadman.
"In my role as a Developer Consultant with Deque, I get asked a
variety of questions on how to implement and fix technical
accessibility issues…"
https://www.deque.com/blog/accessible-routing-in-javascript-frameworks/

How to Get the Date for a Specific Day of the Week with Vanilla JS
By Chris Ferdinandi.
"This morning, one of my students asked me how I would get the date
for the next occurrence of a specific day of the week. For example:
'What's the day next Wednesday?'…
https://gomakethings.com/how-to-get-the-date-for-a-specific-day-of-the-week-with-vanilla-js/

Detached Window Memory Leaks
By Jason Miller and Bartek Nowierski.
"Find and fix tricky memory leaks caused by detached windows…"
https://web.dev/detached-window-memory-leaks/

+10: MISCELLANEOUS.

Principles of Digital Earth Experience Design
By Gerry McGovern.
"The first principle is to not create. Not doing anything with digital
is the kindest thing you can do for the environment. The decisions
that you make not to create that extra piece of code, that extra piece
of content, these are the most important decisions you can make. If
you must create then reuse and recycle code, content and designs. The
more you can build from stuff that has already been created, the
better for the environment…"
https://gerrymcgovern.com/principles-of-digital-earth-experience-design/

Black Lives Matter
By Karl Groves.
"…Accessibility is political. Tenon supports BLM because we are
advocates for Civil Rights. There can be no equality until all persons
are considered equal. There can be no justice until the Justice System
treats all persons equally. The concerns one has for accessibility are
the same as one should have for sexism, racism, and any other form of
discrimination…
https://blog.tenon.io/black-lives-matter

Enable Automated Captions for Blackboard Collaborate Using Google Chrome (Video)
By Matt Deeprose.
This video shows how to enable the captions feature in Google Chrome
and how it can be used with Blackboard Collaborate."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXdSLPguX4

+11: NAVIGATION.

Opening Links in New Browser Windows and Tabs
By Jakob Nielsen and Anna Kaley.
"Since 1999, it's been a firm web-usability guideline to refrain from
opening new browser windows for several reasons. All of these also
apply to opening new browser tabs and are still valid today…"
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/new-browser-windows-and-tabs/

+12: TOOLS.

WAVE 3.1 Release
By Jared Smith.
"Version 3.1 of the various WAVE web accessibility evaluation tools
has been released. These updates are now available in the online WAVE
tool, the Chrome and Firefox extensions, the WAVE subscription API and
stand-alone API, and the WAVE Runner reporting service…"
https://webaim.org/blog/wave-3-1-release/

+13: TYPOGRAPHY.

No Matter What Responsive Type Technique You Use…
By Adrian Roselli.
"…be sure the page can be zoomed 200%…Probably avoid min(), max(), and clamp()…"
https://twitter.com/aardrian/status/1309878744522387458

Your Text Should Never Get Smaller When the User Zooms…
By Adrian Roselli.
"…If it does, your responsive type approach is broken…"
https://twitter.com/aardrian/status/1310998676962189312

+14: USABILITY.

Quarantine UX: The 'New Normal'
By Aaron Chichioco.
"…Changing their approach to user experience (UX) is key to a
business's ability not just to survive but thrive in the new normal…"
https://www.uxbooth.com/articles/quarantine-ux-the-new-normal/

Virtual Reality and User Experience (Video)
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Virtual reality (VR) user interfaces are currently more difficult for
users to manipulate than a traditional GUI, partly because of more
degrees of freedom and partly because VR is still new, so people have
less experience using it. Advice for how to employ usability studies
to alleviate this problem."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/virtual-reality-and-user-experience/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/accessibility.html

Association Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/associations.html

Book Listings.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/books.html

Cascading Style Sheets Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/css.html

Color Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/color.html

Drupal Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/drupal.html

Evaluation & Testing Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/testing.html

Event Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/events.html

HTML Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/html.html

Information Architecture Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/architecture.html

JavaScript Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/javascript.html

Miscellaneous Web Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/misc.html

Navigation Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/navigation.html

PHP Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/php.html

Sites & Blogs Listing.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/sites.html

https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/standards.html

Tool Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/tools.html

Typography Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/type.html

Usability Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/usability.html

XML Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/xml.html

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/webdev_listserv.html

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson