Web Design Update: May 17, 2023

Laura Carlson

May 17, 2023, 5:11:45 AM5/17/23
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 21, Issue 47, May 17, 2023.

An email newsletter to distribute news and information about web design and development.

++ISSUE 47 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: DRUPAL.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: JAVASCRIPT.
08: NAVIGATION.
09: TOOLS.
10: USABILITY.
11: WEBWASTE & SUSTAINABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Fieldsets, Legends and Screen Readers Again
By Steve Faulkner.
"I wrote an article in 2007 called Fieldsets, Legends and Screen Readers. It was my first post on the TPGi blog. I have been meaning to provide an update to it, for the last 15 years…"
https://www.tpgi.com/fieldsets-legends-and-screen-readers-again/

GAA'day Challenge
By The Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training (ADCET).
"At ADCET we are celebrating Global Accessibility Awareness Day (Thursday, May 18, 2023) with a series of three challenges for universities and Vocational Education and Training providers within Australia to experience just a few accessibility barriers and features in everyday work and life…"
https://www.adcet.edu.au/resource/11339/gaa-day-challenge

G is for Global: Tribute to Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2013 (Updated on May 14, 2023)
By Lainey Feingold.
"…people around the world will be gathering for workshops, seminars and other events to celebrate and recognize the second annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day, or GAAD…"
https://www.lflegal.com/2013/05/gaad-2013/

How Would You Pronounce 'A11y'? (Video)
By Makoto Ueki.
"…we asked people from all over the world who attend the CSUN conference how they usually pronounce abbreviations for technical terms related to web accessibility. The first is 'A11y', which is an abbreviation for "Accessibility". How do you pronounce it in English?…"
https://youtu.be/_x96bGVnKUw?t=108

How Would You Pronounce 'WCAG'? (Video)
By Makoto Ueki.
"…we asked people from all over the world who attend the CSUN conference how they usually pronounce abbreviations for technical terms related to web accessibility. The second is 'WCAG', an abbreviation for W3C's "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines". How do you pronounce it in English?…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRBz0HZILw&t=82s

Automatic Captions, An Overview
By Maxability.
"…This article explores different methods
and technologies used to create automatic captions from videos…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2023/05/13/automatic-captions-an-overview/

Disability Bandwidth with Meryl Evans (Podcast)
By Nikki Nola and Sam Proulx.
"In this week's episode of Disability Bandwidth, we have an exceptional guest, Meryl Evans, CPACC, who joins Nikki and Sam to discuss the importance of respecting people's communication preferences. We talk about how not all deaf individuals use sign language and that everyone's experience with disability is unique…"
https://podcastaddict.com/disability-bandwidth/episode/157215926

From Inclusion to Empowerment: The Role of AI in the Future of Accessibility and Inclusion (Video)
By Knowbility.
"Kelsey Ruger and Jutta Treviranus explore the role of AI and Machine Learning in the future of accessibility, focusing on both the opportunities and challenges presented by these technologies. A moderator will engage these thought leaders in a dynamic conversation, sharing their expertise and insights on harnessing the power of AI while addressing potential risks and barriers…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uskt9v2DbtM

#AudioEye Is Suing Me
By Adrian Roselli.
"On Wednesday March 8, 2023, a man who turned out to be a process server came to my house and delivered a stack of papers…"
https://adrianroselli.com/2023/05/audioeye-is-suing-me.html

When Mootness Works and Fails in Web Accessibility Cases
By Ken Nakata.
"…This post summarizes how mootness works in web accessibility cases. It reviews all of the cases we've discussed over the past three years on mootness…"
https://convergeaccessibility.com/2023/05/15/when-mootness-works-and-fails-in-web-accessibility-cases/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Add Opacity to an Existing Color
By Chris Coyier.
"Say your brand color is the orange #f06d06. Now you need that color but with some opacity on it…"
https://chriscoyier.net/2023/05/12/add-opacity-to-an-existing-color/

Conditional CSS with :has and :nth-last-child
By Ahmad Shadeed.
"We can check with CSS to know if the number of a group element is less than or equal to a number. For example, having a grid with three or more items. You might be wondering, why is that even needed. In some cases, a component or a layout might change based on the number of child elements…"
https://ishadeed.com/article/conditional-css-has-nth-last-child/

Solving Media Object Float Issues With CSS Block Formatting Contexts
By Gabriel Shoyombo.
"This article covers common problems using CSS floats and how to solve them using a block formatting context (BFC). By understanding the disadvantages of using BFCs and how to minimize them, you can ensure that your content is displayed correctly. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced web developer, you will learn valuable insights and practical solutions for dealing with CSS float issues"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2023/05/media-object-float-issues-css-block-formatting-contexts/

+03: DRUPAL.

Drupal Takes a Step Forward in Accessibility with Automated Testing Integration
By Ben Mullins, Daniel Mundra and Mike Gifford.
"…With this change, many accessibility errors will be caught before they can be committed to core. Drupal will be one of the first open source CMS to include axe testing as part of its CI/CD pipeline…"
https://www.thedroptimes.com/30928/how-drupal-improves-accessibility

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Conducting Mobile Accessibility Research with Screen-Reader Users
By Tanner Kohler.
"Use word of mouth to recruit research participants who rely on screen readers. Conduct the study in person to help participants feel comfortable, and plan to record the screen-reader output."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobile-accessibility-research/

Sample Sizes for Rating Scale Confidence Intervals
By Jeff Sauro and Jim Lewis.
"Sample size computations can seem like an art. Some assumptions are involved when computing sample sizes, but it should be more math than magic…"
https://measuringu.com/sample-sizes-for-rating-scales/

Confounding Variables 101 (Part 1 of 2) (Video)
By Tim Neusesser.
"Confounding variables can affect the validity of data collected during research studies. It's important for researchers to know what they are and how to identify them."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/confounding-variables-1/

+05: EVENTS.

Be A Digital Ally: How People with Disabilities Access Digital Content (AT demos) Part 1
May 18, 2023.
Online
https://events.humanitix.com/be-a-digital-ally-how-people-with-disabilities-access-digital-content-at-demos-part-1

Soirée Quiz a11yMTL Trivia Night
June 6, 2023.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
https://www.meetup.com/a11ymtl/events/293470289/

UX Virtual Training
August 12-25, 2023.
Online
https://www.nngroup.com/training/august/

#a11yTO Conf
October 19-20, 2023.
Online and Toronto, Canada
https://conf.a11yto.com/

ASSETS 2023
October 22-25, 2023.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
https://assets23.sigaccess.org/

Web Directions Summit
October 26-27, 2023.
Sydney, Australia
https://webdirections.org/summit/

+06: HTML.

Respect Your Children
By Steve Faulkner.
"A subset of ARIA roles are defined as having presentational children. These are mostly a subset of widget roles…"
https://www.tpgi.com/respect-your-children/

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

ES2023 Introduces New Array Copying Methods to JavaScript
By Phil Nash.
"The ECMAScript 2023 specification has been recently finalised. It includes some new methods on the Array object that will help make our JavaScript programs more predictable and maintainable. The methods toSorted, toReversed, toSpliced, and with allow you to perform operations on arrays by without changing the data in place, but by making a copy and changing that copy. Read on to learn the difference and how to start using them in your projects…"
https://www.sonarsource.com/blog/es2023-new-array-copying-methods-javascript/

ECMAScript 2024 Language Specification
"…the most accurate and up-to-date ECMAScript specification."
https://tc39.es/ecma262/

+08: NAVIGATION.

Using HTML Landmark Roles to Improve Accessibility
By Schalk Neethling.
"…In this blog post, we'll take a closer look at these landmarks and how to use them on your website using a simple example…"
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/blog/aria-accessibility-html-landmark-roles/

Designing Sticky Menus: UX Guidelines
By Vitaly Friedman.
"Are sticky headers always a good idea? Best practices for designing sticky headers, with examples, UX guidelines and usability considerations…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2023/05/sticky-menus-ux-guidelines/

+09: TOOLS.

24×24 Pixel Cursor Bookmarklet (Update: 9 May 2023)
By Adrian Roselli.
"The SC this post addresses has changed again. As of today, 9 May, the Editor's Draft for Success Criterion 2.5.8 Target Size (Minimum)"
https://adrianroselli.com/2022/05/24x24-pixel-cursor-bookmarklet.html#Update01

Developer Tools That Shouldn't Be Secrets (Video)
By Christian Heilmann.
"Hooray, Goto conferences just released the video of my talk on Developer Tools…"
https://christianheilmann.com/2023/05/11/developer-tools-that-shouldnt-be-secrets-christian-heilmann-goto-2022/

+10: USABILITY.

Error-Message Guidelines
By Tim Neusesser and Evan Sunwall.
"Design effective error messages by ensuring they are highly visible, provide constructive communication, and respect user effort."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/error-message-guidelines/

The Problem With Disabled Buttons and What to Do Instead
By Adam Silver.
"In 2009 I prototyped a form that disabled the submit button until all the answers were valid. The idea being: the best error is the one the user never sees. But disabled buttons takes this rule to the extreme. And as a result it can frustrate users or worse, cause them to give up completely. Here's why…"
https://medium.com/@adambsilver/the-problem-with-disabled-buttons-and-what-to-do-instead-e88df7f36253

+11: WEBWASTE & SUSTAINABILITY.

Carbon Capture: A New Way to Measure Your Website's Carbon Emissions
By Michelle Barker.
"WebPageTest is a great tool for measuring your website's performance, providing detailed metrics and actionable advice. They've just released a brand new add-on, Carbon Capture, which measures the CO2 emissions generated by a website…"
https://css-irl.info/carbon-capture-a-new-way-to-measure-carbon-emissions/

Carbon Control
By Chris Ferdinandi.
"The folks at my favorite website performance testing tool, WebPageTest, just introduced Carbon Control, a way to measure your site's carbon footprint and run no-code experiments to find ways to improve…"
https://gomakethings.com/carbon-control/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/accessibility.html

Association Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/associations.html

Book Listings.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/books.html

Cascading Style Sheets Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/css.html

Color Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/color.html

Drupal Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/drupal.html

Evaluation & Testing Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/testing.html

Event Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/events.html

HTML Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/html.html

Information Architecture Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/architecture.html

JavaScript Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/javascript.html

Miscellaneous Web Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/misc.html

Navigation Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/navigation.html

PHP Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/php.html

Sites & Blogs Listing.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/sites.html

https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/standards.html

Tool Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/tools.html

Typography Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/type.html

Usability Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/usability.html

WebWaste & Sustainability Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/webwaste.html

XML Information.
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/xml.html

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

WEB DESIGN UPDATE is available by subscription. For information on how to subscribe and unsubscribe please visit:
https://www.d.umn.edu/itss/training/online/webdesign/webdev_listserv.html

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

As a navigation aid for screen readers we do our best to conform to the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to make navigation easier. For TEN guideline information please visit:
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson