Chalice News and Notes Dec. 4, 2020

Chalice Admin

Dec 4, 2020, 6:01:49 PM12/4/20
to announ...@cvuuf.org, mem...@cvuuf.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through Justice and Compassion.

 Friday, December 4

7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

with

Charles Osiris, Ph.D.

and

Will Guzmán, Ph.D.

“My philosophy is very simple.  When you see something that is not right, not fair, not just, say something!  Do something!  Get in trouble!  Good trouble!  Necessary trouble!” – John Lewis

John Lewis: Good Trouble chronicles Lewis’ 60-plus years of social activism and legislative action on civil rights, voting rights, gun control, health-care reform and immigration.  Watch the film and then join us for a discussion of his legacy and what ‘good trouble’ is called for today.

Charles Osiris, Ph.D. is Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, CSUCI

Will Guzmán, Ph.D. is a Professor of History at Prairie View A&M University.  Dr. Guzmán has authored

Civil Rights in the Texas Borderlands: Dr. Lawrence A. Nixon and Black Activism.

Please register here:

https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/4ba096

You will receive a link to view John Lewis: Good Trouble following registration.

Next Service Sunday, Dec. 6, 2020 - 10 AM

Celebrating the Season - A Family Affair

Rev. Nica Eaton Guinn and RE Sam Dickerson

Sunday Service on Zoom at 10 a.m.

Today we begin our celebration of the holiday season by honoring the shared threads between the UU tradition of Chalica, the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah, the Solstice, Christmas and Kwanzaa. This intergenerational service for the whole family will also welcome and celebrate our newest members. Join us for a Sunday of festivity and tradition and maybe even a surprise visit from Santa. Please have a candle at the ready.

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Password: 2020

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

*There will be no Family Chapel December 6. Instead we will be holding an Intergenerational service. All ages welcome!

On Sunday December 6, we are starting a new, exciting break-out rooms model after the service in which people can choose what break-out room they want to be in. There will be 7 different break out rooms.

  1. Meet Santa!

  2. Service/Sermon discussion

  3. Check-in/How was your week?

  4. Newcomers with Minister

  5. Board questions

  6. Social Justice actions & discussion

  7. Tech Debrief

We hope this will be a powerful way for people to deepen their connections at Chalice.

Coming up for December – Crossing Paths:

Focusing on Unitarian Universalism

Last Chance to Register your child!

Sessions start December 6

Open to 4th through 8th graders, we explore a different religion each month through videos, discussions, and activities. This is highly recommended to youth in 7th and 8th grade, offering a strong base when they begin Coming of Age in the 2021-22 church year.

 For more information contact your DRE Sam Dickerson at d...@chaliceuu.org.

Ask the Jacksons - A Conversation on Prejudice with a Multi-Color Couple Monday-December 7th - 6:00 p.m.

https://zoom.us/j/96356131037?pwd=MzdxRUhSaDFoWkRsbUFiRGhLQkZ6UT09

Chalice members for 25 years, Susie and David Jackson have volunteered to share their personal experience and perspectives as a multi-color couple.  They write...

“We are open to answering any and all questions about what our experiences have been like, being married since 1978, raising children in the Conejo Valley, and being of two colors, light-skinned and dark brown.  We welcome questions about issues we have dealt with, David's personal experiences in the Navy, and about what life has been like for us.  We want to be a resource and offer a frank discussion.”

To help start the conversation, you can email your questions in advance to RCJCo...@chaliceuu.org.

The Racial and Cultural Justice Team meets monthly to reflect on issues and develop action plans for education/service, advocacy/coalition and witness/protest. For more information contact Randall Edwards rjco...@chaliceuu.org.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/95038163842?pwd=Z08zK3piTDkrNVhvTFFBZWNncVhwZz09

One tap mobile

+16699006833

Dial by your location

 +1 669 900 6833 US

Meeting ID: 950 3816 3842

Passcode: 734802

0001-13700550296_20201127_130846_0000 (1).png

YA @ Chalice

18 - 30 Somethings… We had our first YA meet-up last Sunday as a few of us volunteered for the Chalice and Adelante food drive through. We are planning our next virtual event on December 15th at 7:00 pm, the theme will be: “Ugly Top Party” so come in the ugliest top you can find and let’s get to know each other . If you have any questions send an email to ad...@chaliceuu.org.

Don’t forget to take our survey so that we can get to know what you are interested in and what will be best for us as a whole. https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/886281

Winter Vespers: A Midweek Contemplative Service

Wednesday, December 16th @ 6-7pm

A collaboration of our local UU congregations: Live Oak in Goleta, Unitarian Society of SB, Ventura, Santa Paula & Chalice UU.

Restore your spirit with an hour of music, readings, and time for quiet reflection. Join the UU ministers from our area (including a chant from our own Rev. Nica and a reading from Rev. Dr. Betty Stapleford) as we gather for a special winter service. No Christmas carols – just good company, wise words, and beautiful music. Turn your lights down, get comfortable, and let the quiet glow of candlelight create a sanctuary wherever you are.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/92577302445

Meeting ID: 925 7730 2445

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86485278419?pwd=NDlYZHR1ZU83b2drR0NwVFFrK09SZz09

One tap mobile

+16699009128,,86485278419#,,,,,,0#,,764577# US

Dial by your location

        +1 669 900 9128 US

Meeting ID: 864 8527 8419

Passcode: 764577

SPIRITUAL SUSTENANCE AND COMMUNITY CHECK IN

Open to All

Join Rev. Nica for a weekly moment of spiritual grounding and community check in. In these crazy times, we will come together to share sacred space, to lift each other and the world up through inspirational readings, music, prayer, meditation, contemplation or envisioning. Each week will be different and inspiring. Join us on Thursdays, from 5 – 6 PM on Zoom for a spiritual boost and community check in. Bring your favorite inspirational reading, your prayer requests, your open heart and your vision for a world filled with love. For more information email ad...@chaliceuu.org.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/401646659?pwd=VGhkVXc2MkxIbWQxSE81Wkw5QVZVZz09

Meeting ID: 401 646 659

Password: 2020

One tap mobile

+16699009128,,401646659# US (San Jose)

Weekly Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

Kwanza

By Alfonso Siverls

It is the light

of candles

that shines brightly

after a long journey

of darkness,

that empowers my soul

and proclaims my place

in the culture of humanity.

A huge welcome to all new Chalice members!

Michael Akseven

I have been a UU over two decades, dual member of UU Ventura and lover of Camp de Beneville.  Born in Turkey, I immigrated as a teenager.  I’m married with a 19 year-old son and recently retired from the County of Ventura Sheriff’s Office.  Hobbies are volunteering and traveling.

Sharon Beck

I am excited about becoming a member of Chalice!  I have been attending for over a year and have always admired Chalice for leading social activism in our community. I have lived in Newbury Park for 22 years and am originally from Michigan. I am a social worker and social justice is my highest value. Universalist Unitarian values align perfectly with who I am personally and professionally.  I am a single mom to two children; my son Julian is 23 and my daughter Lucia is 15. They both live at home and that makes me happy! I work for two agencies in Oxnard as a Clinical Supervisor and have a private psychotherapy practice in Camarillo.  A big part of our family is having our sweet animals including 3 dogs, 2 cats and one rat. In my spare time I like to walk near Mt. Boney or run on the treadmill to get in my 10,000 steps:)  I am so grateful for the opportunity to become a member of Chalice!

Helene Chin

My name is Helene Chin.  I have been an Agoura Hills resident for 32 years.  I am married and raised 2 sons, now grown, in this area.  Retired last year after working 44 years and so delighted to find there is so much to experience outside of my small world with the freedom of time.

Diana Mueller

My husband Jason and I live in Simi Valley and have two beautiful children who keep my days full and fun.  Every Tuesday we eat dinner with 3 generations of my family (COVID permitting).  A table full of Nana’s cooking and lots of cousins fills my heart.  I came to Chalice in 2016 and was blessed to work for Rev. Anne and Rev. Nica as the church administrator.  Upon hiring I had no idea what Unitarian Universalism was.  The more I learned the more I fell in love with the mission, the history, the staff, and mostly the community of spectacular people.  I am always looking for ways to encourage my two children to be free thinking explorers and Chalice fosters that in children of all ages.  2020 found me changing gears to become a distance learning instructor.  I love the beach and we spend many afternoons splashing in the Pacific.

Sue by waterfall-portrait.JPG

Sue Norton

Luckily, threads of the universe drifted together to create my life. The winds of good fortune blew my way yet again and created my son, Nick, who is the center of my world. Though we may live and meet by chance, I believe we have a responsibility to love and honor each other, our Mother Earth, and the connecting filaments that bind us together. I hope Chalice will help me fulfill that life promise.

Amy Elias Reed

Hello. My name is Amy Elias Reed, and I have lived in Newbury Park for 47 years, coming from the San Fernando Valley in 1973 to begin teaching at Newbury Park High School.  I raised three children here, taught for 36 years at the high school and have been very content living in this special community.  I was first interested in Unitarianism when I taught Junior English and we read the Transcendentalists.  I did some research and found that their ideals and beliefs coincided with my own,  I didn’t really connect to Chalice until January of 2017, when I first met Willie Lubka.  I attended a few services in the sanctuary (when we could gather in person) and found much comfort and support there.  It wasn’t until earlier this year, when the pandemic struck, that I realized I needed to take that final step and join, and I am so grateful to this community for welcoming me.  I have found a home here. Thank you all.

AmazonSmile is a program that donates 0.5% of your eligible purchases on Amazon to a charity of your choice.

Give to Chalice while you shop!

All you need to do is start your shopping at smile.amazon.com. You can then choose to donate to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Conejo Valley at no extra cost to you. It's an easy way to support this congregation.

Thank you for your support!

Taking Social Action Online

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter and other concerns, click on: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Next Racial & Cultural Justice Team:

(Next meeting on Wed. Dec, 9, 2020 at 5:30 pm)

For more information, please email rjco...@chaliceuu.org.

Chalice Climate Action Team - (Zoom meeting 4th Sunday at 12:30pm, December 20, 2020 CCATC...@ChaliceUU.org)

Ventura County Residents - DON’T BE FOOLED into signing Big Oil's new petition! They are spending millions to trick you. The petition reads as follows:

REFERENDUM AGAINST AN ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS

Referendum Against Amendments to the Ventura County

Ordinance Code, Coastal Zoning Ordinance, Regulating Oil and

Gas Exploration and Production

Big Oil lost their PERMIT TO POLLUTE our air, land, and water. Now they’re trying to buy it back!

We can’t let that happen. We deserve better. DO NOT SIGN!

The Citizens Climate Lobby meetings are open to anyone interested in saving our planet! The meetings will continue on the 2nd Saturday of the month indefinitely. Next meeting on Saturday, December 12 @ 9 am.

Here is the sign-on info:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82274752266?pwd=YUR1enR2RXFQLzN1a0xTK0NiYXRqZz09

Or:

Meeting ID: 822 7475 2266

Passcode: 271577

Camp De Benneville Pines Needs Your Help...

We are asking for volunteers to come up to camp either this Saturday (12/5) and Sunday (12/6) or next Saturday (12/12) and Sunday (12/13). And if you can help both weekends, that would be awesome! If a day mid-week works out best for you, please let Janet James know and she will try and work something out for you.

If you have time to do any of the following, we'd appreciate the extra volunteer support to get this vital work done:

Raking to soil 30 feet from each cabin

Picking up raked pine needles and leaves into trash cans and dumping on the hill behind Craig's Cabin to help slow water run off

Weed whack (bring a weed whacker)

Trim ladder fuels about 8 feet above the ground (bring branch loppers and pole saw)

Camp’s kitchen is closed so we are not offering meal service. Volunteers are encouraged to bring snacks and a sack lunch. Dress in layers as the temperatures change over the course of the day. Be sure to pack a coat, work gloves, masks, favorite rake, water bottle.

Please confirm your participation so Camp can plan. Email Janet James the dates you’d like to help at dire...@uucamp.org

THANK YOU FOR GIVING TO CHALICE

Here’s how to make your gifts go farthest...

We are so grateful for all and any gifts to Chalice! Thank you for helping our beautiful Fellowship thrive!

What you might not be aware of is that some of your gifts are subject to fees that reduce the funds that we get.  Here are the ways that we get donations, and the associated fees, in ascending order of fees.

  1. Cash: No fees. But we don’t generally know who it comes from, so you won’t get credit at tax time.

  2. Checks to Chalice: No fees.  Be sure to indicate on the memo line if they are for pledge fulfillment or a gift.  A popular means of paying by check is to use online bill pay from your bank, which can be set up as a recurring payment.  Chalice is not one of the bank’s regular payees (like a utility), but if you use “Chalice” as the name and our office address (3331 Old Conejo Road, Newbury Park, CA 91320-2115) it will work fine.

  3. Automated withdrawal from a checking account (also called ACH).  No fees.

Please contact Stewardship Chairperson Don Cooper can set this up for you. It’s a great way to give. Email: don...@roadrunner.com

  1. Online or text-to-give through Breeze using ACH (your bank account):  Fee of 1% plus $0.25 per transaction.  You give Breeze your bank account number and the bank routing number to set this up.

  2. Online or text-to-give through Breeze using a Credit CardFee of 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction.  This the easiest giving method, but it comes at a cost.

  3. PayPal through the Chalice Website:  Fee of 2.2% plus $0.30 per transaction.  You access this through the Chalice home page using the “giving” pull-down menu, then “donate.”

If you wish to give via text or online, you may choose to add an additional amount to cover the fees to Chalice - so that Chalice receives the full amount you intended. Thank you!

Again, huge gratitude for any and all gifts.

We could not exist without your generosity.

Are you looking to Connect more deeply with Chalice activities and friends? Or are you currently actively involved in Chalice? There are ways to share this information using Breeze.

1. Take the Chalice Interest and Skills Survey: A way for newer members to find ways to get involved. How would you like to contribute, work with others, be in community and stay involved at Chalice? Click here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/a0a810

2. Take the Chalice Involvement in Groups, Committees, Social Justice and more Survey: How you are engaging with Chalice at this time. Click here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/d9b495

3. Visiting Chalice and wish to receive and share more about yourself? Take this survey: https://bit.ly/ChaliceConnection

Information from these forms will help both Community Life and the Leadership Cultivation Committee help YOU find ways to connect at Chalice. Thanks!

(Form 1 & 2 can also be found on your Profile page in Breeze)

Have you ever wanted to take voice lessons, learn to play the piano or study music theory? Has the pandemic left you with extra time on your hands and a desire to learn something new? If so, consider contacting Chalice’s Music Director, Anthony Concepcion. Anthony is currently offering zoom lessons at a discounted rate of 20% off for Chalice members and friends. Email him at musicd...@chaliceuu.org to ask any questions and schedule a trial lesson.  Peace, love and music!

Weekly Calendar of Events

Friday, December 4

5:00pm Choir Check-in (Zoom 2)

7:00pm Community Forum: John Lewis: Good Trouble - His Life and Legacy (Zoom 2)

Sunday, December 6

10:00am Chalice Intergenerational Worship Service (Zoom 2)

12:00pm RE Committee meeting

1:00pm Games!

1:00pm Crossing Paths (Zoom B)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, December 7

6:00pm Ask the Jacksons - Conversations on Prejudice with a Multi-Color Couple (zoom2)

Tuesday, December 8

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

6:30pm Choir Tuesdays (Zoom B)

7:00pm Chalice Circle 2nd Tuesday (zoom)

7:00pm COSM (Zoom2)

Wednesday, December 9

5:30pm Racial and Cultural Justice Ministry Team meeting

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Choir Rehearsal (Zoom)

7:30pm  Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, December 10

2:00pm Chalice Circle- 2nd Thursday (zoom)

5:00pm Spiritual Sustenance & Community Check-In (zoom2)

Friday, December 11

10:00am Orchids Group (zoom)

Our Community Cares - Pastoral Concerns

It's so important to stay connected during these times.  In News and Notes we will share joys and concerns within our Chalice community. Let us know if you’d like to share something here. Also, if you have special news to share with the congregation in Sunday services please write to ad...@chaliceuu.org or Rev Nica at mini...@chaliceuu.org.

May we hold each other up and support our Chalice community.

Staff Contact Information -

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.