Chalice News and Notes 3.24.23

Chalice Admin

Mar 24, 2023, 5:01:34 PM3/24/23
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

March 26 - Crossing Paths - Paganism 1 pm Social Hall

March 26 - OWL - 1 pm

Grades 7-9 in YRUU room

March 26 - Bowls of Hope event - 11 am @ Cal Lutheran University

Tickets still available: Bowls of Hope discount ticket

April 2 - Families Care - after service in Social Hall

In Person & Online Service - 10 am

Reverend Anne Hines

AWEsome!

What does it take to touch -- or be touched -- by the Holy? How far do we need to travel to be overtaken with awe?

Join us in person or for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Today we will have a special collection to benefit Many Mansions.

Many Mansions is a non-profit organization that provides well-managed, service-enriched, affordable housing to low-income residents of Ventura and Los Angeles Counties, with a special focus on those of very low-income, who are formerly homeless, seniors, veterans, or disabled.

You can find out more at www.manymansions.org

Also, see the announcement about the Bowls of Hope Community Event Below!

Crossing Paths for Adults:  Paganism!

Final Sunday! 1pm

Social Hall

RSVP: https://bit.ly/CrossingPathsRSVP

We have a lot of great events coming up in April and will not be holding a Crossing Paths for the month of April. Crossing Paths will return in May when we will explore Buddhism! May will be the final month of Crossing Paths for this church year.

OWL - Grades 7-9 in YRUU room

Meets

Through April 30th

No meeting on Easter (April 9th)

Sundays - 1:00 pm

Please address any communications or questions to: O...@chaliceuu.org

Bowls of Hope Event

This Sunday March 26 - 11am - 2pm

As a community partner, Many Mansions is offering Chalice members and friends half-price tickets for this event!  Use the link below and input “Chalice UU” in the Organization box.  Hope to see you there!

Get your Tickets Here:   Bowls of Hope discount ticket

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

This purest of flames

Let this purest of flames kindle in each of our hearts
A pledge to justice, a commitment to freedom,
And a reverent awe for the crystalline glories
That sparkle along our footpaths

~ Martha Kirby Capo

Join Loretta J. Ross and Loan Tran to learn about CALLING IN!

Begins March 28th

March 28 is the start of a four-week ZOOM class with people across the country. Background, lectures and Q/A are on Tuesdays. The option to practice in guided, confidential, small groups is on Thursdays. Several of us from Chalice have attended past sessions. They are a great help in the ongoing work of building a personal “toolbox” to find meaningful responses to conflict – especially around racial justice. “Calling In” is about creating change without cancel culture. If you have questions, please contact Randall Edwards or Barbara Leighton.

To sign up or learn more visit: https://lorettajross.com/online-courses/calling-in-march2023

Lectures & QA

FOUR Tuesdays | 7pm-9pm EST; 4-6pm PT | March 28 and April 4, 11, and 18

Learning Labs

FOUR Thursdays | 7pm-8:30pm EST; 4-5:30pm PT | March 30 and April 6, 13, and 20

Fees

$5 for the first session or $20.00 total for the full Course (includes Learning Labs)

Update on the Pledge Campaign

We have responses from 108 pledge units, and we are looking to get about 40 more before we have a good idea of how much pledge income we can estimate for next year’s budget.  At the rate that pledges are coming in, we will be less than 1% ahead of last year’s pledge numbers.  Board President Annie Barker and I will soon start working on the budget, with input from the rest of the Board.  There are a lot of relatively fixed costs:  We are going to make sure we pay the rent and keep the lights on, but almost 70% of our budget goes to staff compensation.  And after we pay those fixed costs, pretty much everything you contribute goes straight into the paychecks of our staff.  We want to give our beloved staff as much of a raise as possible, and we need your help in the form of your generous pledge.  So if you have not yet pledged, please do so soon.  And if you have pledged, just think about how much Anthony, Sam, and the rest of our wonderful staff will appreciate it if you can bump it up a little.

Thank you

Don Cooper, Treasurer

Families Care will have a new Format

Starting in April

April 2 -  11:30 am in Social Hall

Sign up for  donation: https://bit.ly/FamiliesCare

Families Care will be held on the first Sunday after service in the place of RE. This gives our families a chance to live our value of love in action by creating care kits for the unhoused followed by some time in community. First Sundays of the month at 11:30 am youth and adults will be together in Social Hall to assemble kits. After the assembly of kits we will spend time together, bring your own lunch and share in community.

Friday, April 14th – 7:00 p.m. PT (via Zoom)

Defending Public Education

and a Diverse Democracy

with

Betsy Connolly, DVM, Past CVUSD School Board Member

Lauren Gill, CVUSD School Board President

Michelle Nelson-Schmidt, Author, Illustrator, Public Speaker

John Rogers, Ph.D., Professor of Education, Director of

UCLA Institute for Democracy, Education, and Access

From book banning to curriculum white-washing, educators across the U.S. are being newly censored. Since 2021, more than 2/3 of states have introduced bills limiting what can be taught about race and diversity. “These attacks are undermining the role public schools play in educating for our democracy,” says John Rogers, Director of UCLA IDEA. Come hear Dr. Rogers talk about the national impact of censoring education, our school board representatives speak about the local effects, and children’s author Nelson-Schmidt share her first-hand account. Together they’ll address what can be done.

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/DefendingPublicEducationandaDiverseDemocracy

Adult Play Day

April 15 12-4pm in Social Hall

Register Here: bit.ly/funatchalice

PSW ASSEMBLY

This year’s assembly will be held at the beautiful congregational facility, Unitarian Universalists San Luis Obispo. Join us to share what’s going on in your congregation and to enjoy meaningful keynote topics, an assortment of workshops, youth con activities, worship, meals and more! Keynote Speakers will  include Speaker Chairwoman Violet Sage Walker of the Northern Chumash Tribal Council (NCTC) and Mona Olivas Tucker of the Northern Chumash Tribe.

We have 6 delegate spots, and people can attend virtually for only $50 to see speakers in the main hall, and attend and vote for deBenneville Board members. Please let Annie know at: pres...@chaliceuu.org if you plan to attend!

Full Details about the event available here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16HepIuli1PR5i6WCPDNcBpjCdTxJJVD_ni0tvsoNrzk/edit?usp=sharing

Registration Is Open for the Assembly:

They are  offering a self-selecting registration fee scale. Level 1 covers the minimum cost of the event and Level 2 will help support others who need financial assistance to attend.

In person attendance (Level 1) = $75

In person attendance (Level 2) = $100

Virtual Attendance (Level 1) = $50

Virtual Attendance (Level 2) = $75

https://www.uucamp.org/camps-retreats/family-camps/2023-pacific-southwest-service-area-assembly/

Financial Assistance request: Click here for online request form

 And for Youth Con (grades 8-12):

https://www.uucamp.org/2023/02/14/2023-pacific-southwest-service-area-assembly

Youth Con is open to youth ages 14-18 who will be involved in their own programming during the weekend. They will have the opportunity to foster relationship building, expand leadership skills, and develop a deeper faith identity.

If you have further questions about the Youth Con please contact our director of religious education, Sam Dickerson at d...@chaliceuu.org

Starting Point Journey Circle

Begins Sunday, April 16th, 1 - 3 pm

In person @ Chalice

Do you want to explore Unitarian Universalism and your Spiritual Path more deeply?

Sign up for our next Starting Point Journey Circle

For newcomers to Chalice and existing members.

We invite you to join our UU journey program called 'Starting Point’.

Starting Point is a three session series, led by Rev. Nica, designed to deepen your spiritual understanding of Unitarian Universalism and to connect newcomers with members, creating a web of interconnection at Chalice. Additionally, newer people will experience Chalice’s small group culture, thereby deepening your spiritual engagement with our community.

All are welcome to this class by prior registration.

A commitment to all three sessions is requested.

  • Sunday, April 16  - 1-3 pm - Session 1 will explore our personal spiritual journeys.

  • Sunday, May 21 - 1-3 pm - Session 2 will examine UU and Chalice’s history.

  • Wednesday, May 31 - 6:30 to 8:30 pm- Session 3 will look at our UU Theological journey.

For more information, you can email SPi...@chaliceuu.org

Save the Date!

We are planning a special Spring Cleaning on Saturday, April 29th

We hope you’ll join us for community building, taking care of our sacred spaces,

and preparing to celebrate Nica's return! Stay tuned for more details!

Chalice Cabaret 2023!

June 17th 7:00pm

-

Chalice’s Cabaret is a spectacular evening of entertainment that showcases our community’s many talents. Musicians, comedians, dancers, artists and more are invited to share their art for a captivated audience. During the intermission, be sure to enjoy the fellowship, hors d’oeuvres and beverages. Tickets will be sold for a suggested donation of $15. All proceeds go to sustaining Chalice UU Fellowship. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.

If you’re interested in signing up to perform, please contact the Music Director, Anthony, by email at musicd...@chaliceuu.org

Chalice Goes to the Hollywood Bowl!

It’s finally my favorite time of the year: Hollywood Bowl Season! This is a great way to join in fellowship with your Chalice community and other music lovers. Arrive early for a picnic dinner and then enjoy a world class summer concert under the stars. (Pack your own picnic.)

If you’re interested, please reach out to the music director, Anthony, at musicd...@chaliceuu.org. Tickets will be purchased 4/5/23, so all decisions and payments must be made prior. Tickets generally range from $15-45 per person. Go to hollywoodbowl.com for more information. (FYI, John Williams is 91, and likely won’t continue conducting much longer, and Dudamel is moving to the NY Phil in 2026.)

  • July 7 - 8:00pm Maestro of the Movies: John Williams w/Dudamel

  • July 11 - 8:00pm Verdi’s Requiem w/Dudamel

  • July 25 - 8:00pm Rhapsody in Blue & Dvorak Symphony 9

  • July 30 -7:30pm Everybody Rise! A Sondheim Celebration

  • August 3 - 8:00pm A Live Presentation of 2001: A Space Odyssey w/LA Phil & LA Master Chorale

  • August 16 - 8:00pm Gladys Knight

Anthony Concepcion music director

musicd...@chaliceuu.org

Families with elementary age kids -

Summer camp Registration to open this month

SAVE THE DATES!  Plan ahead for summer 2023 camps

(registration will open in March):

Elementary camp: July 9-15

Middle School camp: July 16-22

Sr High School camp: July 23-29

Family Camp: July 30-Aug 5th

General Assembly June 21- 25, 2023

Information can be found here:

https://www.uua.org/ga

And registration is available here:

https://www.uua.org/ga/registration

Please let us know if you plan to attend in-person or on zoom! We can have 6 delegates and one could be you! Contact pres...@chaliceuu.org

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting

 Meets 4th Sunday of the Month

next meeting on Zoom - Sunday, March 26 at 12:30 p.m.

Among other things, we’ll talk about reactions from March 21, the rainy windy National Day of Action when we joined with people locally and nationwide to ask big banks (Chase, Citbank, Bank of America and Wells Fargo) to stop expanding investments in new fossil fuel projects. Since the 2015 Paris Agreement, these four major banks have collectively invested $1.2 TRILLION in fossil fuel projects.

To see more, check out the Fellowship Hall bulletin board. Or visit: www.thirdact.org or https://www.bankingonclimatechaos.org/

CCAT 3/26/23 Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/873183426?pwd=K3FiL1VrYVJDM25zdjdTdHZXb0E4QT09

Or by smart phone - One tap mobile+16699009128,,873183426#

Or dial in: +1 669 900 9128

Meeting ID: 873 183 426

Password: 715302

UU the Vote will be gearing up soon for more opportunities to get into “good trouble”! Stand by, more democracy-saving postcarding opportunities are coming up VERY SOON!

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month

Friday, March 24

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Saturday, March 25

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

Sunday, March 26

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

11:30am RE: Reflections

11:30am RE: Serenity

11:30am RE: YRUU

12:30pm Climate Action Team (Zoom2)

1:00pm OWL 7-9

1:00pm Crossing Paths - for adults

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, March 27

5:00pm Community Forum Planning Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Women's Evening Group (zoom)

Tuesday, March 28

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

1:00pm Feeding Hands (food preparation)

4:00pm Feeding Hands (serving)

6:00pm Worship Committee (Zoom2)

Wednesday, March 29

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Sitevisioning meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, is on Sabbatical until May