Chalice News and Notes 4.26.24

Chalice Admin

Apr 26, 2024, 5:00:28 PMApr 26
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Upcoming Events

April 28 - Article II Conversation - Share and Learn -after service Sanctuary & online (same Zoom as service)

April 28 - Climate Action Team Meeting - 12:30 Hybrid

May 5 - Meet the Minister - after service in the Nest (upstairs FH)

May 5 - Article II Discuss the Pros & Cons - 12:00 pm  in the Sanctuary

May 17 - Community Forum - Film & Discussion: “The Mistranslation that Shifted Culture” - 7pm in person only  3327 Old Conejo Rd.

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/1946TheMistranslationThatShiftedCulture

May 19 - Pancake Breakfast - 11:30 am Social Hall

May 19 - Congregational Meeting on our Move - Noon Sanctuary

April 26-28

SUNDAY SERVICE

Onsite and Online ~  10 am

Matthew Vestuto  & Reverend Nica Eaton

The Chumash World

Today Matthew Vestuto, Chairman of the Barbareño/Ventureño Band of Mission Indians and President of the Lulapin Chumash Foundation joins us. Matthew is a Chumash scholar primarily involved in language work. Recent recipient of the prestigious Luce Indigenous Knowledge Fellowship, Matthew will share about his language, worldview and history.

Link for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am:

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

You can also view our Livestream on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ChaliceUUF

This week our special collection will benefit the Lulapin Chumash Foundation. They are a “big-tent, Chumash-led, non-profit serving the various tribal bands as well as unaffiliated Chumash individuals and families, dedicated to building an empowered and healthy community through education/events, economic development and ecological stewardship.”

April 28th at 11:30 am (after service)

 & May 5th at 12:00

 April 28th in the Sanctuary and on Zoom

May 5th will be in the Sanctuary only

Please join us for two opportunities to share, learn and discuss Article II which will be voted on at General Assembly this summer.

On April 28th we will have a “Share and Learn” discussion held in the Sanctuary following service. This session will also be screened online (on the same Zoom link as the service).

 On May 5th we will discuss the Pros & Cons of Article II and what it means for our faith moving forward. This discussion will be onsite only. We hope you’ll join us for these two gatherings!

Newcomers - We would like to invite people who have recently begun attending our services to meet Reverend Nica Eaton. You will have a chance to ask questions and to get to know her and our loving community a little better. We hope you will join her after service upstairs in Fellowship Hall to say hello!

Our last service in the Sanctuary will be June 16th. On June 23 & 30th services will be held online only. June 23 is the General Assembly streamed service and June 30th will be our service on the International Chalice Foundation held via Zoom. In the meantime, we’ll be preparing Fellowship Hall to be able to hold our services in the Social Hall starting in July. We’d love to have many hands for the following:

May 11 - Clean, patch and touch up paint in the large room, remove items from walls as needed, etc.

May 18 - Clean floors and windows, downstairs, move unwanted furniture out,  etc.

If you are available, please reach out to Randy Slentz at: slent...@gmail.com

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

Our House of Many Stories

We gather as a house of stories. Many stories.

Woven fine.

As we listen to the tales of those who have gone before,

the way in front of us becomes more clear.

As we make space for voices long-silenced,

all of us become more free.

As we hear the accounts of those who made it through the dark,

courage rains on each and every one.

These stories, friends, I need yours,

as you need mine.

It is how we become whole.

Yes, we gather as a house of many stories.

Come, let us listen once again.

We light our chalice to remember our interdependence.

Rev. Scott Tayler

“It’s About Time”  Annual Cabaret

CALL for ACTS/ PERFORMERS

Let Anthony know by April 28th!

It’s that time; Chalice’s annual Cabaret is June 15th at 7pm - our last one in the Sanctuary - and we want you to participate! We welcome all types of talents. Musicians, magicians, storytellers, dancers and more are all encouraged to perform! This year’s theme is “time.”

As we prepare for our upcoming move into our new home, let’s reflect on time and its impact on our lives. We’re putting out a special call for dancers and/or choreographers to help with Rocky Horror Picture Show’s “Time Warp!” If you’re interested in being a part of our cabaret, please email music director, Anthony, by April 28th. Rehearsals will be held Wednesday and/or Thursday evenings beginning May 1st.

musicd...@chaliceuu.org

We need Content for our Social Media!

Add the Telegram app to your phone

Then open the email with this N&N on your phone

and click the link to the Chalice sharing page here:

https://t.me/+q2yQdcVCS_tiY2Mx

You can then choose which photos you wish to share with Chalice for our social media!

Also, we are on TikTok!

Here is our TikTok link:

https://www.tiktok.com/@chalice.uu?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc

Film & Discussion

1946: The Mistranslation That Shifted Culture

Friday, May 17th – 7:00 p.m. PT (in person only)

This feature documentary chronicles the discovery of evidence that casts significant doubt on any biblical basis for LGBTQIA+ prejudice.  “1946” is at once challenging, enlightening, and inspiring.

Event location:  Chalice – 3327 Old Conejo Rd., Newbury Park, CA

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/1946TheMistranslationThatShiftedCulture

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting

 Meets 4th Sunday of the Month

next meeting Sunday, April 28th at 12:30 p.m.

Displaying Climate Action Team.jpg

Join us for a discussion on action items to help tackle the climate crisis.

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/873183426?pwd=K3FiL1VrYVJDM25zdjdTdHZXb0E4QT09

Or by smart phone - One tap mobile+16699009128,,873183426#

Or dial in: +1 669 900 9128

Meeting ID: 873 183 426

Password: 715302

CCAT: Respecting the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part, the Chalice Climate Action Team educates ourselves and connects with others to advocate for a just and sustainable future for life on Earth.

As of now, all 1000 Georgia cards have been mailed (Yay Pamela!) Thanks all for your work helping get those out.

We  continue to work on Virginia Phase II. There are 280 postcard remaining to be written. They aren’t due until the end of May. Those ready to take on a few more, please email your order and pick up after service on Sunday April 28, or as always, arrange to pick them up from Pamela or Jill.

Starting mid June, we will be writing swing states for the November election. These cards will be mailed according to the state’s voting dates.The project will include at least 5 states.

To help pace yourself, our 2024 UUTHEVote Postcarding campaign will continue until October. Our main partners are the Center for Common Ground in their Reclaim the Vote Project and the Environmental Voter's Project and a few other known sources involved in saving our democracy.

We have a great opportunity to join UU the Vote and Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights (GLAHR) for an Election Defense and Support training and preparation call. This gathering will act to recruit Georgia-based Unitarian Universalists ready to take a shift doing election defense on May 21, 2024, Primary Election day in Georgia. Join us as we ground, get to know each other and talk about the role of election defense and protection in our work.  We (Pamela & Jill) have signed up for calls.  Please join us.  Here's the link:

Join me for this great event!

Love,

Jill and Pamela

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial & Cultural Justice Team: 1st Monday zoom meetings at 5:30pm each month.

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month once a quarter - Next meeting June 13th  6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month @ 12:30

Community Forum Team meeting: 3rd Mondays at 7:00 p.m.

Contact Justice...@chaliceuu.org for more information

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Virtual BIPOC Retreat

Hosted by Bay Area DRUMM (Diverse Revolutionary Unitarian Universalist Multicultural Ministries )

May 4th 11-4 pm

Both onsite and online

Bay Area DRUUMM, with UU Church of Berkeley, is hosting a Virtual Retreat for BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) - identified folks.

invites you to our Spring Retreat “Echoes of Belonging: Home, Connection, and Spiritual Sustenance” - A Bay Area DRUUMM gathering for BIPOC Unitarian Universalists.

Join us for the 1 Year Anniversary of Bay Area DRUUMM! We’ll create spaces of belonging for BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) Unitarian Universalists to bring spiritual sustenance to our community through a focus on connection: with self, with each other, with our church communities, and beyond

Link to register here:

https://www.druumm.org/events/

Want to support Senior Concerns’ Meals on Wheels program

but don’t want to run?  No problem!

Join the Chalice Team for the Love Run to benefit Senior Concerns’ Meals on Wheels program!  You don’t even have to run!!!*

You can register for the Chalice “doggie dash” VIRTUAL* run here:

https://runsignup.com/Race/Register/RaceGroup-1?raceId=14443

Just select “Doggie Dash - Virtual” and “join or create a Team.”

On the next page select “Chalice” under “Select Team!”

*That’s right - we WON’T be running (except in spirit)!!!

Learn more about Senior Concerns at https://www.seniorconcerns.org

The Women’s Interfaith Network

Cleaning Supply Drive

to benefit residents of Many Mansions

May 1st 6:30 pm

Want to make a special collection suggestion?

Chalice members are invited to submit a Special Collections Request Form for non-partisan, non-profit organizations whose work is consistent with UU values and principles and is not known to engage in activities which would conflict with UU values and principles.  Requests are reviewed quarterly by the Special Collections Review Team.

Friday, April 26

PSWSAAssembly at Ventura UU Church

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Saturday, April 27

PSWSAAssembly at Ventura UU Church

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

Sunday, April 28

PSWSAAssembly at Ventura UU Church

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

11:30am Article II: Share & Learn

12:30pm Climate Action Team (Zoom2))

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Wednesday, May 1

5:30pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, May 2

10:30am Jonquil Women's Group (zoom)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org